"We Love Thailand!" - Expats show the love and TAT hopes to encourage more to the Land of Smiles

webfact

4 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Some forum members will be wetting themselves with excitement although may possibly be miffed if not invited to be star attractions given they're support for all things Thai no matter what.

Not to worry our invitations are in the mail. The cats out of the bag now. I find the comment on the sting set up interesting. Well all know that the KKops like to "corral" offenders rather than pick them off one by one that takes to much work. Yes TAT will take help from any source regardless. I hope a transcript of all the glowing speeches made by these "volunteers" are published. Script supplied courtesy of TAT. Please follow the bouncing ball. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

Your choice to come here. Your choice to leave. I've been here over 30 years too. I've never felt anything other than welcome. I wasn't happy, I would leave. How simple can it be? And yes, the country's full of dregs that nobody else wants.

You need to read further on,  I did leave, long ago.

Edited by freebyrd
poor grammar

43 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

Your choice to come here. Your choice to leave. I've been here over 30 years too. I've never felt anything other than welcome. I wasn't happy, I would leave. How simple can it be? And yes, the country's full of dregs that nobody else wants.

Holier than thou?

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

And this sentence sums up the TAT's thinking. 

Hey we are top end tourists. The gift that keeps on giving 365 mostly. If we number 1.5 million maybe the government is finally waking up to the fact that we contribute a lot to the economy and those helping their partners families its a trickle down effect. Yes immigration could treat us better and when they ask for my bank book at my yearly extension they get a rather envious look on their faces especially when I bring all of my bank books as backup. 

Edited by elgordo38

4 hours ago, Toscano said:

If Thailand wishes to encourage more EX Pats to come to live in Thailand : there needs to be an easing of the immigration regulations .

I'm British , but lived in Italy for a number of years .  In Italy I had to register with immigration by three months ; all being well with my finances , given a 5year probationary permission to stay .  At the end of 5years i had to reapply and was given residency in perpetuity .  Malaysia offers EX Pats a much better deal than Thailand .

I, like many other EX Pats love Thailand , but even after 10yrs living in Thailand , am caused terrible stress each year coping with the ever increasing documentation and demands of Immigration .

Just pay a Thai ' agent' to sort it out.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Hey, it could be a sting operation where after all the expat farang has gathered

together in one place the immigration and the police will come out to check

everybody visa status......

In any case, an expat fair for farang in Thailand has no redeeming values,

and it only serves ' the masters '  to show and tell....

as long as we're treated like a second and third class citizens with very little rights

and no voice or standing in the Thai system and society....

Seemingly,  the actual citizens of any country should have a voice,  but it is a stretch to say foreigners, even those who reside and pay paying taxes here, should have such privileges.  You can always vote with your feet.  

Just now, freebyrd said:

Holier than thou?

Not holier than you apparently. You seem to be one of those people who are disturbed by we who enjoy our life here and get on with it.  You seemed threatened by those who have a positive outlook on life with regards to living in Thailand. Get over it!

3 minutes ago, rebelplatoon said:

Love is all around. Couple of totally non representative expats promoting an event that none feel a part of. Changing visa laws and prices would make a great start. First we get constantly pushed away, now it's hugging time. Go hug some zero dollar tourists.

Well said. Give them all a ukulele maybe they can write a song on the subject "Tip Toeing Through Thailand" I still have not had my 15 minutes of fame and my expiry date is fast approaching. 

Edited by elgordo38

If Thailand wishes to encourage more EX Pats to come to live in Thailand : there needs to be an easing of the immigration regulations .

I'm British , but lived in Italy for a number of years .  In Italy I had to register with immigration by three months ; all being well with my finances , given a 5year probationary permission to stay .  At the end of 5years i had to reapply and was given residency in perpetuity .  Malaysia offers EX Pats a much better deal than Thailand .

I, like many other EX Pats love Thailand , but even after 10yrs living in Thailand , am caused terrible stress each year coping with the ever increasing documentation and demands of Immigration .

1 hour ago, freebyrd said:

Dregs? - Tarring everyone with the same brush? Over 30+ years I've lived in several SE Asian countries and I've never been treated anywhere near as poorly as I was in Thailand.

Well the cats out of the bag now. The Thai Poster Boys are out in full force. Where can I get my "I Love Thailand" button I am ready to join. May the force be with us. 

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

1.5 million expats could arrive with banners, ' I am Andy Hall ', They would like that

You just had to go and expose Thailand's dirty little secret. News flash he has been found guilty poor bugger. Now there is the real Thailand not all this huff and puff expat we love Thailand cronyism. 

Edited by elgordo38

Wow, i just spilt my coffee.  What a load of bullshit.  TAT wants more expats?  Could have fooled me and many others living here.  If they want more expats they need to ease up on restrictions or they are going to be left behind.  For the last month i have been travelling back and forth to Cambodia and believe me many people there are questioning why so many expats from Thailand are now looking for business in Cambodia.  I was asked many many times and was told the same thing.  Even customers are saying they are going to Cambodia and Laos next year and not coming back here.  But it's ok... Pokemon Go will save Thailand. These people really need to stay off the crack pipe.

Edited by Phuketboy

5 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Okay TAT: As Toccano mentioned:

1: Better/easier visa rules for expats.

2: Not 10 times fees at National parks, many pensioner expats are by no means rich as most Thais believe they are. There should be some kind of rules that expats over 60 get Thai prices all over.

Thailand is however still a nice place to stay and I choose it over Malaysia any time.

EU citizens have options in South Europe if they are just a bit well off, visa very easy to obtain. I am still dreaming of be able to stay somewhere in EU during the summer month and then spend the winters here in LOS, but are not sure I can afford it when retirement kicks in, in about 10 years time. 

EU citizens don't need visas to live in Southern Europe.

1 hour ago, alofthailand said:

Not holier than you apparently. You seem to be one of those people who are disturbed by we who enjoy our life here and get on with it.  You seemed threatened by those who have a positive outlook on life with regards to living in Thailand. Get over it!

Goodness me, where did you get your powers of ESP? I don't have anything to get over mate as I'm just expressing an opinion. Threatened by a faceless name on TVF? What a ridiculous statement. His comment was holier than thou. Just because we don't have your rose tinted view of the Land of Smiles  Silliness only means the likes of me have a different opinion, nothing more and doesn't make all of us dregs.

Your meat is my poison, so keep your advice to yourself.

1 hour ago, alofthailand said:

So if you left why are chuntering on still? It's nothing to do with you.

Because I'm exercising my right to offer an opinion. You don't have opinions about things outside of TL that have nothing to do with you? Perhaps aloftthailand refers to your head being in the clouds as far as TL is concerned? I would appreciate no further 'advice' from you, thank you.

Edited by freebyrd
mistake

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

We are all Andy Hall.

Maybe not quite all of us. I'm sure some on here will say he shouldn't be saying things about Thailand and it doesn't matter how accurate he might be.

It's against the rules to criticize, now where have I heard that before, oh yes I remember !

Edited by NongKhaiKid

I have lived in Thailand for 2 years and agree with many of the comments here.

The visa system is a nightmare - not helped by the embassies in different countries having different rules.

It took me 15 months to get my head round it all before I finally got my retirement visa - not the non-immigrant O I was told I would need in my home country.

Let's see....here's how they are trying to "market" to expats:

-Confusing and difficult visas and/or immigration office staff.

-Dual pricing for expats

-expat targeted police checkpoints

-on the spot traffic fine bribery extortion

-Laws against expats holding 100s of job types

-uncooperative banking

-a legal system that supports zero rule of law for expats

-lack of police law enforcement regarding expat safety

Did they say they are trying to cater to expats or scare them away?  The fair may be one angle, but the reality is certainly another one altogether.

5 minutes ago, returnofthailand said:

you all make me laugh!

retirement visa in the USA is worse. there is no retirement visa in America. if you want to retire in the USA, you need to pay 1 million dollar and maybe they will give you a USA residence card. after 2 years, they will investigate if you are good with the irs.

1 million dollars or 800k bahts is cheaper for you ?

The post is about Thailand, not the USA. If you want to live in Thailand, you don't apply for a visa to live in America.