"We Love Thailand!" - Expats show the love and TAT hopes to encourage more to the Land of Smiles

webfact

1 hour ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Some forum members will be wetting themselves with excitement although may possibly be miffed if not invited to be star attractions given they're support for all things Thai no matter what.

But not nearly as many already wetting themselves over the announcement, like yourself. Wonder how many pages of sneers we're gonna have about this.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Hey, it could be a sting operation where after all the expat farang has gathered

together in one place the immigration and the police will come out to check

everybody visa status......

In any case, an expat fair for farang in Thailand has no redeeming values,

and it only serves ' the masters '  to show and tell....

as long as we're treated like a second and third class citizens with very little rights

and no voice or standing in the Thai system and society....

And take your Passport, or copy of page.

I am sure Immigration will do everything in

their power to facilitate more Expats moving

to Thailand,cutting red  tape,so I am sure it

will be another great successful campaign 

for T.A.T.   Amazing Thailand.:facepalm:

regards worgeordie

59 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Thailand, before the coup, was a wonderful refuge.  Today, not so much.  With regards to doing business, Thailand is one of the most restrictive in Asia.  Its a shame too.  They could be more competitive.  More inclined to look at parts of China, Indonesia and Cambodia.

Cambodia , however Hun Sen is a dictator, and Thailand is a first world country compared with Cambodia , I found Granada in the Caribbean was a great place and British ruled,  logistics for me was the problem, so stayed around Thai and Oz , for 36 years, anywhere better is much more expensive , If Oz U get freedom into Singapore and can start-up business or get work,  but look at the cost of living and I love Sing.  

47 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Well, collapse it will not, the economy I mean.

But if only half of the retirement expats would disappear, I am certain it will make quite a dent in the economy.

The number of jobs directly related to number of expats seem to be 2:1.

Quite a dent, I say.

As the average retired farang brings into the country 50,000 baht a month, I do wonder if the powers in Thailand ever did the sums and after that decided immigration rules and laws need some amending.

But that is out-of-the-box long-term thinking.

Come on Hans, behave yourself and get back in your box.......................:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, webfact said:

They also hope that the more expats come the more they will inspire top end tourists to come and spend their money here.

Great idea. I'm sure the top-end tourists can't wait to get a glimpse of the leading attractions;

1. The famous spider web mass of power/phone wires which decorate the streets

2. The excitement of being chased by soi dogs with rabies

3. The satisfaction of being ripped off for transport in tourist areas

4. The experience of nearly being killed in their chosen form of road transport

5. The joy of wining and dining until midnight

6. The fun of carrying around your passport everywhere you go

7. Feeling the total pleasure of those warm smiles as your wallet is continually and unnecessarily emptied

8. And lastly, the shopping! - where else can you buy such high quality goods imported from Farang land with such generous mark ups?

I think they will love it!

Does the Expat 2016 fair has a decent website other that just a flyer on a website? This one was placed on the bull$#!t website: http://www.expatlifeinthailand.com. Well they have a web$#!t: http://www.expatfairthailand.com. Nothing more than a flyer and where you can submit your name and email address for a free entrance ticket....

Expat-Fair-Poster.jpeg

Edited by FredNL

3 hours ago, sharecropper said:

The fair will feature Thai cultural shows and showcase the excellent cooperation and spirit that exists between expatriate workers and their Thai hosts.

Will this including the mass proffering of brown envelopes to every seedy official on the take, to enable farang-owned commercial ventures to operate here?

They're just treating you as one of their own.

As an Asian....I don't know how to put it...but farangs really do hold all the cards, they are just not united in a cause.

Farangs can easily create the atmosphere of Pattaya for example, anywhere...lets be honest here...I'm Indian and when farangs go out at night...its way past our bedtime....I'm serious here. Its not Asian culture per se to go out, explore and have fun day in and day out...Our DNA will not allow it...I need some days break before I could go out at night again....

Nightlife culture is a farang culture...Thailand is merely benefiting from it...

See, Angeles City. ...lots of expats, even Cambodia is coming up now...

Farangs can bend the rules in Thailand, if they are united.....

Indians, Chinese, Koreans will all follow suit..once the farangs go away as they create the entire atmosphere that Thailand is so famous for.

Edited by starchild5

1 hour ago, freebyrd said:

Andrew Biggs and Jonas Anderson on the same stage, your 'average Farangs' - time to move to the next thread......

Good point. Not all expats want to learn Thai, not all expats want Thai fame, most just want a comfortable lifestyle in their retirement. Those who work in Thailand either have to learn Thai or perhaps teach English (or other language) and might learn Thai but not use it of necessity and have their own reasons for living here. Those in the video are hardly representative of Expats.

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

Can expats work at this expat fair that promotes thainess or will all the stalls and jobs be reserved be reserved for thais.

I think they should protect the jobs for their natural born citizens just like we should do in our home countries. The fact that we don't is no reason that they shouldn't. They will allow you to work in the industries where they need it, flipping burgers and serving beer is not one of those qualifications.

Even North Korea felt more welcoming compared to my experience going to the Thailand Embassy to apply for a business visa. Ended up getting a tourist visa instead and I think it was a good thing as it kept me from investing and starting a business in Thailand. I believe I would have lost every penny. Was better investing in China and having 100% control of it.

1 hour ago, Toscano said:

If Thailand wishes to encourage more EX Pats to come to live in Thailand : there needs to be an easing of the immigration regulations .

I'm British , but lived in Italy for a number of years .  In Italy I had to register with immigration by three months ; all being well with my finances , given a 5year probationary permission to stay .  At the end of 5years i had to reapply and was given residency in perpetuity .  Malaysia offers EX Pats a much better deal than Thailand .

I, like many other EX Pats love Thailand , but even after 10yrs living in Thailand , am caused terrible stress each year coping with the ever increasing documentation and demands of Immigration .

Agree with you having experience of living in many foreign countries during my worldwide fifty year working life, immigration proceedings in Thailand are geared to making money, no need to list the Fees, they are all well known to Expats having to deal with Thai immigration. No need to make any suggestions (have made several over the years) based on other foreign countries. All Thai immigration has to do is look across its southern border, Malaysia. Maybe that is because a couple of centuries as a colony of the UK causing certain things to have rubbed off and remained, same with Indonesia after being part of Holland for three and a half centuries (356-yrs). All you can do in Thailand is shut up or move out, which Thais don't seem to care, if they did care they would be more polite in referring to Caucasians: 

The proper Thai way of identifying a foreigner is

“Khun thangchat”,

Meaning a person of different citizenship.

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Thailand, before the coup, was a wonderful refuge.  Today, not so much.  With regards to doing business, Thailand is one of the most restrictive in Asia.  Its a shame too.  They could be more competitive.  More inclined to look at parts of China, Indonesia and Cambodia.

Which coup would that be then

2 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Some forum members will be wetting themselves with excitement although may possibly be miffed if not invited to be star attractions given they're support for all things Thai no matter what.

Awesome :thumbsup: it will balance with with other members who support nothing at all Thai no matter what :smile:

IMO, that's just a revisited "good cop/bad cop" technique, where the two officials (TAT & IMMY), are simply playing a game together to get a result, which in this case are not information, but cash out of you (all of it and possibly even more), the funny thing it's that both of them would not exists without foreigners coming here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_cop/bad_cop  

2 hours ago, dg1980 said:

Or maybe those members who feel that the economy would collapse without their economic contribution should be invited?

To be an ex-pat you need a minimum of 65K per month.  Multiply this by 1.5 million = a lot.  Throw in cars/houses & furniture/businesses & associated jobs.  Add in contributions to Thai education system (wife's children) + medical/funeral expenses.  I would think it's the least TAT owe us.

1 hour ago, freebyrd said:

Andrew Biggs and Jonas Anderson on the same stage, your 'average Farangs' - time to move to the next thread......

Dave " Doberman " Smith, currently residing in Pattaya on a 7 year overstay after fleeing custody in the U.K. for his part in an armed robbery of a Lloyds bank in Southend had a prior engagement...

Jeesh there are some miserable people in here, aren't there? Really, where's the harm with a fair being put together to show off what some expats can do - and have done in Thailand? Some have made a name for themselves - Andrew Biggs and the Jonas chap - maybe that's why they were asked to help spread the word at the press conference? 

So many of you sound so bitter - why do you stay here if the country (and it's rules) make you feel so hard-done by? Regardless of country that you choose to make your second home, there will always be issues with paperwork, bureaucracy and the way they do things as opposed to how things are done back home.

Get used to it - or make a positive contribution and try and make this a happier place to live for yourselves.