No good deed goes unpunished

SteveSamui6262

Is it off topic, if I say that I have not so far experienced any backfire at all, merely gratitude from the people that I have helped any way I can.

But I understand what you mean... Shall be interesting to read posts coming after this one then...

Glegolo

I had been playing football and was wearing sweaty clothes in a Taxi... 

At my destination the Taxi pulled to the curb... There were two girls in dresses, obviously going out for the evening.

I wanted to tell them not to take this taxi as the seats were damp... 

But, every scenario I could of involved this pathway going horribly wrong... 

- Girls misunderstanding me and thinking I was a perv

- Taxi getting upset and loosing a fare

So... I didn't do the 'good deed' and just walked away without looking back...  I chose not to do the good deed because of the potential for 'backfire'... 

(not exactly what the Op has in mind for this thread - but its a starter !)

I think this fits,,
Upgraded my wife's memory short iPhone 5 to a 128gb/6 and she wanted to sell the 5 privately for more than dtac offered. I protested a little but decided her insistence 2000 baht more was in my best interest to respect her sense of our money.
Upon seeing the advertisement of the old phone a family member lobbied strongly that they should be given the old one.
It went horribly wrong from there for awhile but ultimately it was solved in my favor, my wife made the private sale for the extra baht and no family members will be trying to take what doesn't belong to them from us again. I feel lucky to still be married and have good enough relations with the parties involved after that early debacle. I decided to tactfully make an early statement and hope my wife chose the proper side of the issue.

Waiting for the wife, then gf, outside a cosmetics store in small side Soi and an old Thai lady hobbles out of her place with a chair.... offers me the chair to sit. Clearly she needed the chair as she could barely stand! With gestures I convinced her she was to sit, not me and upon leaving I left her 100 baht note which generated a warm appreciative smile and Wai from her.

1 hour ago, jerojero said:

Waiting for the wife, then gf, outside a cosmetics store in small side Soi and an old Thai lady hobbles out of her place with a chair.... offers me the chair to sit. Clearly she needed the chair as she could barely stand! With gestures I convinced her she was to sit, not me and upon leaving I left her 100 baht note which generated a warm appreciative smile and Wai from her.

1 hour ago, jerojero said:

And thre downside of this is...... "for future encounters between this lady and falangs. she will expect to have 100 baht (3 dinners) for each time she offers a chair.....

Handing out these 100 bahts bill to left and right is a poor way of communicate.....

Glegolo

3 minutes ago, glegolo said:

And thre downside of this is...... "for future encounters between this lady and falangs. she will expect to have 100 baht (3 dinners) for each time she offers a chair.....

Handing out these 100 bahts bill to left and right is a poor way of communicate.....

Glegolo

An old lady hobbling out to offer a chair sounds a bit odd to me - although possibly she was just being kind and intended going back indoors to her own chair.

I've frequently had Thais offer me a chair/stool when standing around waiting at various places - but never an old lady hobbling out to offer up her own chair.....

Entirely off-topic, I was once heading back along the small soi to my house only to find that a tree had been uprooted and blown across the soi by the strong winds.  I decided to try to drive slowly across the 'shrubby' area back to my house, but fell into a hole hidden by fallen palm leaves - and was pinned under my scooter terrified of possible snakes and centipedes :lol:!

Whilst I was panicking, a very poor guy driving a samlaw (whilst taking a similar route) saw me and immediately walked across, picked up my scooter and (with bare feet!) walked it to my house, with me following in his wake.....

I tried very hard to give him 100 bht as a 'thank you', but he looked horrified that I would offer him money for helping me out!

I sincerely hope that the people who have helped me at various times (and there's been many of them, both Thai and Westerners) didn't fall foul of this 'rule' :(.