Thailand makes progress on bid to build Ukrainian BTR-3E1 APCs

webfact

Thailand makes progress on bid to build Ukrainian BTR-3E1 APCs

Jon Grevatt, Bangkok - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly

BANGKOK: -- Ukraine and Thailand are moving head with plans to collaborate on the 8x8 BTR-3E1 armoured personnel carrier (APC), IHS Jane's understands.

Senior Thai defence officials recently visited the National Security and Defence Council of Ukraine (NSDCU) for talks on the collaborative programme, which is aimed at supporting Thailand's production of the vehicles.

Sources in Bangkok have also confirmed that Thailand intends to build the vehicles to meet the requirements of the Royal Thai Army (RTA) and to support regional exports. A local facility in Thailand would also support the BTR-3E1s already in operation by the RTA. The RTA ordered in 2008 and 2011 more than 220 BTR-3E1s, which are being manufactured by the Kharkov Morozov Machine Design Bureau.

Full story: http://www.janes.com/article/63941/thailand-makes-progress-on-bid-to-build-ukrainian-btr-3e1-apcs

-- IHS Jane's 360 2016-09-21

Remember what happened the last purchase of Ukrainian vehicles? They never saw one day of action despite 100's of million of baht spent. Hard to use with no engines.

Ah but these are different.

They are going to build them themselves. ...

Keeping it all in house as it were - a wise investment!

20 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Remember what happened the last purchase of Ukrainian vehicles? They never saw one day of action despite 100's of million of baht spent. Hard to use with no engines.

This is simply not true.  Of course they came 'with engines'.  They are in use, there are pictures and video all over the web of them being driven around in Thailand

3 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

They did get they working.

Used the Flintstones method.  "Yaba, Daba, Do ".

12 hours ago, DP25 said:

This is simply not true.  Of course they came 'with engines'.  They are in use, there are pictures and video all over the web of them being driven around in Thailand

Do you have first hand knowledge of working on this project like I did?

Any one can post up a video of two units to save their face in all of the corruption that was involved

Now go back and research how many of these vehicles were bought and actually delivered to Thailand? Ukraine could not get engines for these as explained below, just like I stated in my post.

News source:  After signing a contract to supply 96 armored personnel carriers, Thailand for a long time could not get the ordered equipment. The Ukrainian side has explained the delay by the fact that Germany refused to supply parts to the Ukraine for military use, used in the BTR-3E1. For this reason, the assembly for the APC in Thailand has not been completed.Transfer the first batch of 12 armored vehicles took place in late September 2010, another batch of 12 vehicles were sent to Thailand in April 2011.

News source:  As a reminder, on September 1, 2011 Thailand signed a contract with Ukrspetseksport worth over $240 million for the delivery of 49 brand-new Oplot-T MBTs and two armored recovery vehicles by the end of 2014. Kharkov-based Malyshev Factory turned the contract into a scandalous farce, as Thailand received only 10 tanks to date. 

News Source: 

As stated in an interview Gazeta.ua representative national defense, notice of a possible breach of contract, worth $ 240 million. This could be bribed and custom information”

Implementation of the agreement Kharkiv State Enterprise “Plant. Malyshev” delayed. At that time Thailand was only ten tanks on it – the first five “Oplot” were delivered by sea to Thailand on Feb. 4, 2014, and subsequent five – May 31, 2015. Now the Ukrainian side promised delivery of five tanks in early 2016.

While your at it research the Thai AAV-7 armored personnel vehicles. Out of 42 I inspected, only 2 would even start. The rest were junk, expensive batteries missing, parts robbed, etc. Local Thai company that was busted by the US dept of Justice for making counterfeit US parts won the contract to restore them. 

You should get your fact straights before you make a post.

Edited by bwpage3

And me. I should get my facts right also. Still I only researched the web for 10 minutes and just assumed they had engines in when I found a picture of one with a Thai flag on it. My goodness you need to be a military hardware expert to post on TV these days. It's only a forum for discussing the Thai news not mastermind.