Forget playing bridge - now Thai soldiers round up pensioners for dominos!

webfact

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine lost his condo due to the gambling debts that his Thai wife accumulated. The court rejected his claim, he luckily had another property to live in. Isn't it amazing how the legal system recognises the debt accumulated through illegal activities and supports the repayment to these people and yet will arrest a load of pensioners for playing dominos!

Does anyone need any more evidence of the hatred Thai people have for foreigners?

Unbelievable, really is. I hope this gores viral and puts off any other poor old geezers from settling here. Take you pension money somewhere else folks, you are not welcome here.

2 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

A friend of mine lost his condo due to the gambling debts that his Thai wife accumulated. The court rejected his claim, he luckily had another property to live in. Isn't it amazing how the legal system recognises the debt accumulated through illegal activities and supports the repayment to these people and yet will arrest a load of pensioners for playing dominos!

Does anyone need any more evidence of the hatred Thai people have for foreigners?

Unbelievable, really is. I hope this gores viral and puts off any other poor old geezers from settling here. Take you pension money somewhere else folks, you are not welcome here.

They were Thai.

They were playing more than dominoes.

38 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

You obviously didn't read the link  - 14 decks of cards, dice, majong etc. 

This was an illegal gambling den and those making fun of the fact that they were over 60 don't understand the seriousness of this offence.

Those who think there was no large gambling here are totally naive or just trying to show their imagined superiority.

Gambling den? 5 pensioners arrested, not much of a den. Also it doesn't say anything about money being found at all.

If it was such a serious crime how is it that gambling debts are upheld legitimately in a court of law? I have posted previously the plight of my friend and the debts his Thai wife accumulated illegally. 

49 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

You obviously didn't read the link  - 14 decks of cards, dice, majong etc. 

This was an illegal gambling den and those making fun of the fact that they were over 60 don't understand the seriousness of this offence.

Those who think there was no large gambling here are totally naive or just trying to show their imagined superiority.

"Taken into evidence were two sets of dominos, playing cards, mahjong sets and some dice."

You obviously didn't read Post #115 (above)

"What happened to the money, then? An "illegal gambling den" with no money?"

52 year old Samart Woranathorrocha will no doubt be charged with having too many packs of cards in his possession after the guy in charge of the raid trawls through the books to try to find something - anything - to justify another raid based on another piece of unchecked "information/grudge" (Sorry - conspiracy theory!) 

Edited by sambum
Additional text

5 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

They were Thai.

They were playing more than dominoes.

It does matter whether they are Thai or not. It does not say they were playing more then dominos, it just said what they found but no mention of money at all.

1 minute ago, GAZZPA said:

Gambling den? 5 pensioners arrested, not much of a den. Also it doesn't say anything about money being found at all.

If it was such a serious crime how is it that gambling debts are upheld legitimately in a court of law? I have posted previously the plight of my friend and the debts his Thai wife accumulated illegally. 

Are you that naive that you think people over 60 don't gamble?

1 minute ago, GAZZPA said:

It does matter whether they are Thai or not. It does not say they were playing more then dominos, it just said what they found but no mention of money at all.

Of course it matters as you said , " Does anyone need any more evidence of the hatred Thai people have for foreigners? "

Try going back and reading the story again.

5 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Of course it matters as you said , " Does anyone need any more evidence of the hatred Thai people have for foreigners? "

Try going back and reading the story again.

My mistake, apologies.

11 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Are you that naive that you think people over 60 don't gamble?

Yes, I made a mistake in thinking it was referring to foreigners again, a bit misleading on the headline as it referred to the bridge incident. But dont put words into my mouth please, I did not easy older people don't gamble. But where in the story does it say there was any money involved and therefore gambling?

And my point still stands, gambling debts are upheld in a court of law, absolute fact. 

20 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Yes, I made a mistake in thinking it was referring to foreigners again, a bit misleading on the headline as it referred to the bridge incident. But dont put words into my mouth please, I did not easy older people don't gamble. But where in the story does it say there was any money involved and therefore gambling?

And my point still stands, gambling debts are upheld in a court of law, absolute fact. 

http://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/525169

The original Heading doesn't even mention dominoes, only Mahjong.

Why the need to go on about gambling debts, nobody is arguing?

Gambling is a big part of Thai culture and I know all the laws as I was an online poker pro for 5 years.

https://www.imolin.org/doc/amlid/Thailand_Gambling Act B E 2478.pdf

I have been arrested for playing poker live but let off for a warning. In my 31 years, I've never known of ANY punter to be fined more than 1000 baht. It's not serious. They just do these raids from time to time.

8 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

You may well say what is the problem with these Bridge and Domino clubs. At first it is just some fun but next thing you know you are addicted to heroin, Yaba and opium. :stoner:

Excuse me?  Are  you saying bridge and domino playing leads to a heroin and opium addiction?

The article and headline are misleading.  They are not being busted for playing dominoes, they are being busted for gambling.  It's a completely different thing.  I just taught my students how to play dominoes today.  There's nothing wrong with dominoes, but I don't gamble.  My grandfather lost a multi-million dollar farming operation to a gambling debt, and I do not condone it.  My feelings and Thai law have nothing to do with each other, but I just wanted to make a point that dominoes itself is not the problem, it's the gambling.

7 hours ago, amykat said:

Hasn't it been said many times here, that Thai education lacks critical thinking skills???

I have to add to your post. About 13 years ago I gave English teaching a go in BKK (I'm not a teacher by training or education. Master's Degree is in something else). It was at one of the better private colleges. It was pounded into our heads that we were to teach by repetition and repeating. Write something in English on the board, say it to the class, have them all repeat it. Read something out loud from a book, have the class repeat it etc.

Anyway, I thought they really need to know how to navigate in life and think. So I started teaching critical thinking. I tried it twice. Both times, I got asked into my supervisor's office and was told to cut it out. Do NOT teach critical thinking to the students. They repeated the whole "parrot repetition" method they use and I was to use.

So, no, critical thinking is not taught, it is discouraged. It explains a lot about life in Thailand. There is no assessing your situation, formulating  possible outcomes and their benefits/consequences, and analyzing them to come to a beneficial conclusion. It's more like how a puppy thinks. It sees a ball, it runs after the ball, it grabs the ball. There is no looking around, checking for cars or obstacles. it just runs straight for the ball even if a speeding car is coming.

Now apply that to how people behave here.

3 minutes ago, Global Guy said:

About 13 years ago I gave English teaching a go in BKK (I'm not a teacher by training or education. Master's Degree is in something else). It was at one of the better private colleges.

Heaven forbid if someone thinks you were just a normal English teacher. :cheesy: 

The lengths some teachers will go to avoid the embarrassment of being an English teacher.