Is it possible to be denied boarding from France to Thailand if you don't have a return ticket

1 minute ago, jabis said:

I'd suppose walking thru all of those countries with that 100 bill in your pocket would be harder than booking a one way flight, no?

IATA's rules which carriers oblige to, for diplomatic reasons :)

I had enough money for the 84-5 trip in travelers checks. In this day and age seems would be easy to put debit charge on card for potential return due to no visa, and then when you get the stamp, have money returned.

5 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

I had enough money for the 84-5 trip in travelers checks. In this day and age seems would be easy to put debit charge on card for potential return due to no visa, and then when you get the stamp, have money returned.

wouldn't mitigate the fine airlines could face for transporting illegal aliens depending on legislation of destination. But I do concur it's mostly ridiculous :)

EDIT: also that would need worldwide servers and joint software to ackowledge an entry per passenger in all immigration services everywhere - so maybe in the distant future

Edited by jabis
more reasoning

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Actually it IS Thai Immigration Regulation that say that one must have a visa to enter Thailand, or if a national of any of the countries that can enjoy a visa exempt, one must have a return or onward ticket. BTW - no where does it say that the onward / return ticket must be dated for under 30 days. THAT'S wrong interpretation of airlines' staff...

It's not wrong. You are given permission to stay for 30 days so the Immigration requirement is that the person has an onward flight on or before the 30th day.

1 hour ago, ZenoBresson said:

No airline ask me for an return ticket or an visa. I fly already to Bangkok from the following airports:

- Spain (Mallorca)

- Greece (Athens)

- Austria (Vienna)

- Cambodia (Phnom Penh)

- Germany (Frankfurt)

used Airlines

- AirAsia

- Thai Airways

- Etihad

- Norwegian

- Austrian

It's interesting that so many people are asked for an return ticket or an visa.

Question: you had an return ticket? Because if you have a return ticket from the airline you are boarding, they not need to ask, because they have your return ticket in their system!

• Like 1

You don't need a return ticket, you do need a ticket exiting Thailand during the

30 day visa exempt on arrival window, or a visa to board. That said you are not always asked

for this. It is cheap and easy to buy a one way  LCC ticket from Air Asia/ NOK etc...and then

simply not use the ticket. When reading others experiences of not being asked be careful to

understand that they may have had a return ticket attached to the arrival flight that the agent

could see, or the agent may have checked the passport and seen a travel visa so the passenger

did not need the exit ticket. When traveling one way to Thailand (about 8 times) I have been

questioned about four times about a ticket out of the country. When I pointed out the visa in my

passport there was no issue. Also note, if he is traveling on a direct flight from Paris, he would be

questioned in Paris. If he was stopping en-route, (Dubai, etc.....) he could be questioned there as

he is flight compliant leaving Paris. He is less likely to be questioned once his trip has started.

That said I was asked once on a trip to Thailand that stopped in Copenhagen, and also on a trip to

French Polynesia from Thailand when I landed in Kuala Lumpur. My next stop was New Zealand

where I was overnighting. and leaving the next day on another airlines flight. I had to show

that ticket so I could depart Malaysia and enter New Zealand. I hope your friend enjoys his trip. :smile: 

People responding that "this and that airline didn't ask me for a forward ticket": Yes, that may be true, but it is likely that they only ask passengers for it at random rather than everyone, as that would eat up too much time at the check-in desk.

I have been asked to show a forward ticket by Norwegian and Turkish, though only once each (and I have flown with both several times).

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

It's not wrong. You are given permission to stay for 30 days so the Immigration requirement is that the person has an onward flight on or before the 30th day.

False!!! You can stay in Thailand for 30 days and fly back or go to the immigration and apply for a extension or went to Laos or Cambodia or what ever else. You can move around for a year without a ticket to fly back.

2 minutes ago, snowgard said:

False!!! You can stay in Thailand for 30 days and fly back or go to the immigration and apply for a extension or went to Laos or Cambodia or what ever else. You can move around for a year without a ticket to fly back.

It's not false.

This rule is rarely enforced because they pass on the responsibility to the airlines. However, if Immigration ask for an onward ticket they want to see a ticket out of Thailand within the permission they are giving you to stay, which is 30 days for a visa exempt entry. The fact that you can apply for an extension of stay or leave by land is irrelevant.

At the moment it is only likely to become an issue for someone that the IO suspects of illegally working or spending too much time in Thailand as a 'tourist'.

• Like 1

When you check in, most airlines use an immigration check system for your destination. So say you have a UK passport and your destination is Thailand, the system will tell the check in staff what the requirements are. I cant remember what the system is called. So even if the staff know nothing about Thailand immigration requirements, they will be able to tell whether you should be allowed to make the journey, or if you may be refused entry, in which case the airline is responsible for paying for your return. No airlines want to be responsible for this hence why you may be prevented from boarding if there is any doubt.

As others have advised, buy a cheap lcc outbound flight it you dont have a return ticket or visa.

• Like 1

If the immigration law of thailand not show for your nationality that you need a return ticket for the 30 days on arrival visa, they can't denied the check-in. If they denied it they must pay compensation, another flight, hotel, ... to you.

http://www.airpassengerrights.eu/en/denied-boarding.html

Edited by snowgard

18 minutes ago, snowgard said:

If the immigration law of thailand not show for your nationality that you need a return ticket for the 30 days on arrival visa, they can't denied the check-in. If they denied it they must pay compensation, another flight, hotel, ... to you.

Being denied boarding because you do not satisfy the immigration rules of the country you are traveling to would not qualify for compensation.

• Like 1

This is maybe for other countries but not for Thailand. Can you show me where the Thai Immigration wrote that travelers on 30 days on arrival visa needed a return ticket?

Please show me this immigration law for Thailand!!!

It don't give it!!!  So it is just a <deleted> airline rule. And they MUST pay compensation to you.

It give some countries like Indonesia who have a immigration law where a return ticket is needed. But for Thailand only if you apply for a visa in your homeland.

Edited by snowgard

When you check in, most airlines use an immigration check system for your destination. So say you have a UK passport and your destination is Thailand, the system will tell the check in staff what the requirements are. I cant remember what the system is called. So even if the staff know nothing about Thailand immigration requirements, they will be able to tell whether you should be allowed to make the journey, or if you may be refused entry, in which case the airline is responsible for paying for your return.

I think the system you are referring to is called Timatic. Here is a couple of links anyone can use to look up the information:

https://www.klm.com/travel/kz_en/prepare_for_travel/travel_planning/travel_clinic/visaform.htm?src=phg&WT.tsrc=affiliation&WT.mc_id=C_US_affiliation_viglink_Blogger_NULL_NULL_

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=timatic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, snowgard said:

This is maybe for other countries but not for Thailand. Can you show me where the Thai Immigration wrote that travelers on 30 days on arrival visa needed a return ticket?

I haven't said you need a return ticket.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowgard said:

I cannot find an English translation of the ministerial regulations covering visa exempt entry. However, multiple usually reliable sources that claim to base their content on the regulations list the 30-day (15-day by land for most nationalities) rule. I would be grateful if you have read the ministerial regulations, and can point at where onward ticket is mentioned without any date restriction.

When an airline follows IATA Thailand recommendations (which are based on immigration conditions for carriage) I am sure you would need to take the airline to court for compensation if they deny check in accordingly.

You can buy a cheap throw-away ticket, or alternatively buy an expensive, refundable ticket.  Then, once you land it Thailand, cancel the return ticket for a refund.  However, I've been screwed by airlines in the past with those "refundable" tickets not being quite as refundable as they claim.  They have many loopholes. 

Hi, a friend of mine if supposed to visit me soon, I wonder if he can have boarding issues from Paris because he don't have a return ticket.
I ask that because one time, in Paris too, I was asked to show my visa prior to get my boarding pass (Which I had, so I didn't asked what would have happened if not)

If that matters, my friend is a genuine tourist,

I always travel before from Paris to Bangkok, not need visa for tourist and nobody at CDG ask me for a visa to Thailand. The immigration at BKK immigration will do it for entry at airport. Even now, i visit Thailand from Houston to Bangkok without having to be asked for a visa.

About no return ticket, as I know with my travel experience, the cost for single ticket is more expensive than a round trip. When I moved to Houston, I just bought a round trip,  less expensive than a single trip. Maybe the single trip of your friend made airport asked for the visa, Thai immigration (for tourist) need to know the date of his return flight to know when he has to return back.

3 hours ago, houston said:

I always travel before from Paris to Bangkok, not need visa for tourist and nobody at CDG ask me for a visa to Thailand. The immigration at BKK immigration will do it for entry at airport. Even now, i visit Thailand from Houston to Bangkok without having to be asked for a visa.

About no return ticket, as I know with my travel experience, the cost for single ticket is more expensive than a round trip. When I moved to Houston, I just bought a round trip,  less expensive than a single trip. Maybe the single trip of your friend made airport asked for the visa, Thai immigration (for tourist) need to know the date of his return flight to know when he has to return back.

So you are saying you have NO return ticket and the airline staff didn't ask to see your visa?  If you have a return ticket, and have the requisite nationality, you don't need a visa.

I've flown dozens of times from the US.  No visa, no return ticket, no boarding.  Period.  With my return tickets, they never asked for a visa.  Without a return ticket, I was always asked to show my valid visa.  Always.

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

I haven't said you need a return ticket.

But you wrote: "It's not false. This rule is rarely enforced because they pass on the responsibility to the airlines. However, if Immigration ask for an onward ticket they want to see a ticket out of Thailand within the permission they are giving you to stay, which is 30 days for a visa exempt entry."

So where the Thai Immigration ask for an onward ticket for visa on arrival?

Don't wrote about rules what it not give for Thailand. You confuse other board members and visitors.

Edited by snowgard

19 hours ago, ZenoBresson said:

No airline ask me for an return ticket or an visa. I fly already to Bangkok from the following airports:

- Spain (Mallorca)

- Greece (Athens)

- Austria (Vienna)

- Cambodia (Phnom Penh)

- Germany (Frankfurt)

used Airlines

- AirAsia

- Thai Airways

- Etihad

- Norwegian

- Austrian

It's interesting that so many people are asked for an return ticket or an visa.

If you have a visa or re-entry permit they would not need to ask, they can see that already in your passport.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snowgard said:

But you wrote: "It's not false. This rule is rarely enforced because they pass on the responsibility to the airlines. However, if Immigration ask for an onward ticket they want to see a ticket out of Thailand within the permission they are giving you to stay, which is 30 days for a visa exempt entry."

So where the Thai Immigration ask for an onward ticket for visa on arrival?

Don't wrote about rules what it not give for Thailand. You confuse other board members and visitors.

You are the one causing confusion.

You won't find the regulation written on the immigration website or in the Immigration Act, but the regulation exists. Onward flights are required for Transit Visa and Tourist Visa holders which you will see on the MFA website. That rule isn't always enforced either, but if an actual visa holder requires confirmed air ticket then it would follow that a Visa Exempt visitor definitely does.

"Evidence of travel from Thailand (confirmed air ticket paid in full)"

Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs 

It is also a regulation that Visa Exempt visitors have at least 10K baht or equivalent currency (20K for Visa holders) in cash or travellers cheques. You will also find it hard to find evidence of that regulation, but it also exists and is rarely enforced.

Airlines have to comply with the Immigration Act which basically says that if one of their passengers is denied entry under the Visa Exempt Scheme (Section 12.1) they have to take them out of the country again unless other arrangements are made (Section 56).

Airlines can insist that their passengers comply with the immigration law/regulations of the country they are traveling to and have the legal right to deny boarding if they don't. Some airlines don't rigidly enforce this right, but I expect if you look at the ticket T&C's you'll find something along those lines.

Turning up without a valid passport would mean a denied boarding and that certainly wouldn't be compensated. The same principle applies to not having a visa or meeting other immigration regulations.

IMO airlines that insist on having an onward flight do so because it gives them a paid ticket to contribute to the costs of taking the passenger back or gives the possibility of passing the problem on to another carrier.

Edited by elviajero

The airline will do a Docs check when your friend checks in. IATA member airlines use a system called TIMATIC. You can access it yourself by going here  https://www.kenya-airways.com/timatic/index.aspx   whoops wrong link but it goes to the same system you can access on the IATA website here: http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm  

Answer the questions by making appropriate selections via the drop down menu lists .  You'll notice on the 2nd or 3rd screen there is a question regarding Onward ticket  - click No.    For Length of Stay put in 29 and finally enter the Capcha code for results. Assuming Air France, French citz with French passport  your friend will be approved*.  Do it again and put in 35 days all  other items the same as before and  get denied.

* results can vary by airline, pax nationality and other factors but one needs to know those first and then the system output will be correct.

1 hour ago, rockingrobin said:

from thai embassy london

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/188

Some of the information on that page is correct (including the bit about onward travel within 30 days, but incorrectly implying that bus and train tickets are acceptable). However, note that it is not an official embassy webpage.

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

It is also a regulation that Visa Exempt visitors have at least 10K baht or equivalent currency (20K for Visa holders) in cash or travellers cheques. You will also find it hard to find evidence of that regulation, but it also exists and is rarely enforced.

Airlines have to comply with the Immigration Act which basically says that if one of their passengers is denied entry under the Visa Exempt Scheme (Section 12.1) they have to take them out of the country again unless other arrangements are made (Section 56).

Again wrong!!! This are the requirements for a Tourist Visa between 3-12 month. Not for a 30 days Visa on Arrival.

Again wrong!!! This are the requirements for a Tourist Visa between 3-12 month. Not for a 30 days Visa on Arrival.

This are the requirements for a Tourist Visa between 3 or 6 month. Not for a 30 days Visa on Arrival.

Edited by snowgard

22 minutes ago, snowgard said:

What is wrong because you're reply doesn't make any sense?

You, however, are wrong again!!! There is no 30 day Visa On Arrival. It's 15 days and only available to a few nationalities that don't qualify for the Visa Exempt Scheme.

Edited by elviajero

18 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You, however, are wrong again!!! There is no 30 day Visa On Arrival. It's 15 days and only available to a few nationalities that don't qualify for the Visa Exempt Scheme.

1. Wrong!!! Some countries have 30 days and some other 15 days!!!

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

2. But you are right with the ticket. It's hidden but I found it now and you are right. It's in the FAQ of the MFA Website:

A:    Nationals of the United States of America and 41 other countries are eligible

to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and

are permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days.

Therefore, you do not need a visa.

However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for

at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to

at least 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family. Otherwise, you may be

inconvenienced upon entry into the country.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15380-Questions-&-Answers-on-Thai-Visa.html

Edited by snowgard

5 minutes ago, snowgard said:

1. Wrong!!! Some countries have 30 days and some other 15 days!!!

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

Not wrong. Try reading what I have written, and read what's written on the link you've provided.

The countries traveling without a visa that need a VISA ON ARRIVAL are in the first column with the GREEN heading. All of those countries only get 15 days.

The countries that can enter without a visa are in the PURPLE column. Some enter under the VISA EXEMPT SCHEME (30 days), and others under BILATERAL AGREEMENTS (14, 30 or 90 days).

• Like 1