Work for a new school continuing work permit or new process?

OK for the sage, like Uboe Joe..

Can you apply for a work permit before your contract ends at one school and start working at a new school?   Or must you finish working on the day stated on the work permit, then reapply? I thought there was a week grace period?

Conflicting information,  Employment office, says you must reapply after your work permit ends on the official day on the book.  Thus you must do the visa work come back in on a tourist visa and then the school will process you for a non-B visa.

Thanks and cheers.

Your new school can apply for your work permit and obtain a work permit  application approval letter.

Then with a letter from current school stating the last day you will be working for them you can cancel your current extension of stay at immigration and then apply for a new extension with paperwork from the new school and the approval letter for the work permit.

Then your new work permit would be issued after the existing work permit is canceled.

There is no 7 days for work permits or extensions.

Thanks Joe, understand that part...however,  you are still required to leave and return.   What I was trying do was to avoid leaving the country.

Immigration office, indicated that I need to go out of LOS and come back.

I thought the new work permit  could be done without  leaving.  Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by Rhys
Add data

7 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Thanks Joe, understand that part...however,  you are still required to leave and return.   What I was trying do was to avoid leaving the country.

Immigration office, indicated that I need to go out of LOS and come back.

I thought the new work permit  could be done without  leaving.  Thanks for the clarification.

I did not write you had to leave.

You cancel your existing extension and apply for the new one on the same day. Then after you have your new extension you cancel your current work permit and the new one will be issued.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Sorry Joe,   Work permit office and Immigration gave a no joy on the process you describe.. it is out and in processing.. at this place you cannot do it on the same day.. 

You cannot do the work permit application and cancellation on the same day anywhere. The application for the new one by your new school is done well before you go to immigration. Then you cancel the existing one so that the new can be issued after you have the new extensions of stay applied for at immigration.

• Like 1

sorry to butt in to the discussion but I have similar question, but different scenario.

@ubonjoe

What if I'm planning to work/move to a different province. Getting an approval for the new work permit ahead of time before going to the immigration is possible, but how about in immigration office? Does it means that i need to cancel my extension at the old immigration office and travel to the new immigration office at the same day to get a new extension based on the new "paperworks" from the new school?  Thank you.

7 minutes ago, syncmaster7 said:

sorry to butt in to the discussion but I have similar question, but different scenario.

@ubonjoe

What if I'm planning to work/move to a different province. Getting an approval for the new work permit ahead of time before going to the immigration is possible, but how about in immigration office? Does it means that i need to cancel my extension at the old immigration office and travel to the new immigration office at the same day to get a new extension based on the new "paperworks" from the new school?  Thank you.

You could go to immigration a few days before the date on the letter from your current employer and they will postdate the cancellation to that date. Then you could apply for the new extension on or before the cancellation date at immigration in the other province.

• Like 2

That would make sense. So the immigration will cancel my current extension based on the letter of cancellation from my current employer. That's why I noticed that immigration officers are really meticulous with the "dates" written on every documents I submit. If only more foreigners know this process, a lot of foreigners will be saving money and time going in/out of the country and the hassle of doing everything from ground zero.

Thank you very much.

• Like 1

YES, but as always it depends on the intention of the person you are siting directly in front of you,  who is processing your papers, also a big X factor for the savyness of your Thai liason person.

By the way, I have notice that down in my area, work permit processing is now grouped specifically with Fishery workers, from Burma, thus we have a staff not receptive, due to over load, and a possible different style of attitude of the work permit processing worker.. Wonder if any one else face the same issues.

Edited by Rhys
data
  • Like 1