Collecting Shrine figurines

JJGreen

Was thinking of starting up a collection of shrine figurines.

I’ve seen some quirky figurines at shrines, often spilling over onto pathways or just laying abandoned on the ground next to the shrine

Is there a secondhand market for them?

Any figurines that are collector items?

Can I just help myself to some older/rarer looking ones? Surely the shrines are cleaned out regularly of them anyway

Are there shops selling only new shrine figurines? Where are they?

That's a great idea start going round to shrines and begin helping yourself to some of the "older/rarer" looking figurines. No need to be sneaky about it I'm sure it won't be a problem.  Please do come back and let us know how you get on.

That's a great idea start going round to shrines and begin helping yourself to some of the "older/rarer" looking figurines. No need to be sneaky about it I'm sure it won't be a problem.  Please do come back and let us know how you get on.

Are u a collector?

After reading a couple of your recent threads I fear that your time in this world may come to an abrupt end, helping yourself to older/rarer looking figurines at shrines would in my opinion not be a very wise move  and could end in a lynching.

In your other thread I was referring to, having an affair in a village well I suppose I value my genitals more than you probably do.

Perhaps he's talking about all the little animal carvings that are often left at Thai temples and spirit houses outside important places, like hospitals.

thailand-bangkok-fighting-cocks-gai-chon-other-animal-figures-left-D6WK7R.thumb.jpg.994e722f380d4372c2eea7b365c8e32f.jpg

Yes those ones...but the spirit houses are everywhere. Sides of roads...on trees..next to buildings...in vacant lots

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Perhaps he's talking about all the little animal carvings that are often left at Thai temples and spirit houses outside important places, like hospitals.

thailand-bangkok-fighting-cocks-gai-chon-other-animal-figures-left-D6WK7R.jpg

Probably, still wouldn't be helping myself to items left by other people as signs of their belief/ faith/ merit making though. What do you think? Or is theft ok as long as something has been there for a while. I mean once it's left there you probably didn't want it anymore right?

Seriously? You would go around stealing religious items from a Buddhist Temple? What sort of moron are you? Not only is that illegal, but incredibly disrespectful. Damaged Buddhas are regularly returned to temples by Thai people, never thrown out. I've even carried a damaged image back to Thailand to be safely enshrined in a Wat in Chiang Mai. I hope the police are onto you and I hope the monks give you a sound thrashing if caught! I'd even join in! Stay in your own country and go desecrate a church and see how far you get!

I would leave the offerings of others alone... theft? Sure it is... bad luck? sure... but I think you are just having some fun here...

Though I would never take something like that from a temple, i do regularly engage in the free shoe swapping exchange program at the front doors... 

Upon reflection, I  support this person's  desire to collect these graven images, false gods and idols. They should be collected and disposed of.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Good advice to follow. Idol worship  is so Rome and Greece circa 500 BC.

Upon reflection, I  support this person's  desire to collect these graven images, false gods and idols. They should be collected and disposed of.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Good advice to follow. Idol worship  is so Rome and Greece circa 500 BC.

Should we meet up and forage together?

When your out Mr Green is it OK if I pop round to your gaff and start a collection of JJGreen objects. I'm sure it will be ok with you as you see it as ok to collect other people's stuff.

If i leave anything outside and away from my property for a period of months you are welcome to take what u want

Seriously? You would go around stealing religious items from a Buddhist Temple? What sort of moron are you? Not only is that illegal, but incredibly disrespectful. Damaged Buddhas are regularly returned to temples by Thai people, never thrown out. I've even carried a damaged image back to Thailand to be safely enshrined in a Wat in Chiang Mai. I hope the police are onto you and I hope the monks give you a sound thrashing if caught! I'd even join in! Stay in your own country and go desecrate a church and see how far you get!

Calm down dude!

I only asked about the figurines...i didnt say i was taking a sack to rake them up

Come on guys, can't you see that this guy is just an adolescent troll.

He's had 500 posts on here since July...most being deliberate stupid questions.

So let's lets just ignore him, and hope he doesn't grow up to be a teacher.

What do u have against teachers?

1 minute ago, mankondang said:

Come on guys, can't you see that this guy is just an adolescent troll.An attention seeker.

So let's lets just ignore him, and he'll go away. But hope that he doesn't grow up to be a teacher.

4 hours ago, mankondang said:

Come on guys, can't you see that this guy is just an adolescent troll.

So let's lets just ignore him, and hope he doesn't grow up to be a teacher.

Ah, beat me to it.  Is a troll really worth all of the elevated blood pressure I'm seeing here?  Dude can't actually be serious.  Nobody is that dumb.