Witness testimonies delay Krabi sex attack trial

webfact

Witness testimonies delay Krabi sex attack trial

The Phuket News

1474521919_1-org.jpg

Apai Raingworchai, 28, is still being detained at Phang Nga Provincial Court until his trail begins. Photo: Darawan Naknakhon

KRABI: -- The trial of the man who carried out a sex attack on an American tourist in Krabi on Sept 1 has been delayed as Phang Nga Provincial Court is seeking further testimony from two local residents who saw the pair together prior to the attack.

Ao Nang Deputy Police Chief, Lt Col Winai Poonsawas told The Phuket News this morning (Sept 21), “I was told that the court is waiting for two more witnesses to testify. However, i can confirm that the suspect, 28-year-old Apai Raingworchai, who is facing charges of assault causing serious injury and sexual assault, is still being detained at Phang Nga Provincial Court until his trail begins.

“The two witnesses said they saw the suspect and the victim, Ms Gavios, together at the beach before they went to the mountain.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/witness-testimonies-delay-krabi-sex-attack-trial-59192.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-22

In the big picture, this may be a good thing.

Despicable as the TVF hang 'em high gallery has painted this guy, he deserves a fair trial with a competent defense.  Every defendant does.  Even the ones we don't like.

The fact that they are waiting on witnesses that may offer some information that could help the guy's defense means that he isn't being railroaded toward a quick conclusion to the trial.  In the scheme of things, that's usually a good thing.

On the other hand, they may just be waiting for the victim to leave the country and the media attention to wane before they do something really stupid- one way or another.  One more time, I wonder if we'll ever know what really happens to the guy.  We rarely get to see the final results- just little tidbits about verdicts and sentences, and bail and appeals and suspended sentences and then ???

Archived