Boat owner to sell his property to raise fund to help Ayutthaya boat accident victims

webfact

Boat owner to sell his property to raise fund to help boat accident victims

22090002-wpcf_728x410.jpg

AYUTTHAYA: -- The owner of the ill-fated double-deck boat which sank in the Chao Phraya river in Ayutthaya province resulting in the death of 28 passengers by drowning has promised to help families of the dead victims for humanitarian reason.

Mr Sunthorn Pansuathong, owner of Sombat Mongkolchai, said he would sell the boat, a boat of his brother and a land plot belonging to his sister to raise fund to help compensate families of the 28 victims.

Sunthorn on Thursday went to Phra Nakhon Sri-ayudhya court to acknowledge the criminal charges filed against him by the police – charges that he denied.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/boat-owner-sell-property-raise-fund-help-boat-accident-victims/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-23

Relatives of ferry boat victims to receive Bt120,000 from govt

THE NATION 

30295984-01_big.jpg?1474580203667

Vessel's insurance had lapsed in March; charged owner says he had only one boat.

BANGKOK: -- THE GOVERNMENT will give Bt120,000 in compensation to each family that lost a loved one in the Chao Phraya River ferry boat tragedy on Sunday.

Twenty-eight people died when the boat, carrying Muslim pilgrims, crashed and partially sunk. The insurance policy for the boat had expired in March. 

Government agencies and the private sector have pitched in to help the affected families.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Relatives-of-ferry-boat-victims-to-receive-Bt12000-30295984.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-23

16 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

So two out of the three things he is "selling" belong to someone else. All he is selling is a damaged boat which will never float again. Generous man with other people's money.

"The boat owner said he properly registered the boat with the Nonthaburi harbor office on June 8 and also paid insurance fees to officials at the office. However, after the boat accident on Sunday, he contacted the same office enquiring about the insurance but was told that the boat was not insured.He said he would like to know where his insurance money had gone and how come his boat was registered and a license issued."

So,who took the insurance premium payment he says he made to the Nontaburi office?

49 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

So two out of the three things he is "selling" belong to someone else. All he is selling is a damaged boat which will never float again. Generous man with other people's money.

Does brother and sister have a say in the matter ?

Yes, he should pay compensation to the victims' families and he should go to prison. 

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Anyone else connected in anyway should also be locked up. Who knows - it might send a strong message to people who feel it's their god given right to do whatever they want to do in life that they can't. 

Edited by rkidlad

There's a lot more here than meet the eye, what ever he says he will sale to ' help

the victims " I'm sure it's only a small portion of it,

Get the DSI involved here to investigate the man and his operations, find him

guilty on negligence leading to death, strip him of everything he own and

throw his ass in jail so others will see and fear....

"Passenger boat owners have to get compulsory marine passenger insurance, under the Act on Navigation in Thai Waters BE 1913, and keep checking the expiry date for passenger insurance protection."

same the lifts in most hotels have certifcate of maintenance that are way out of date

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

did you read the story, the boat hit a submerged, pole,  i doubt you did

Did you read the story?

The vessel slammed into a submerged  extension of the concrete apron / dock area in front of the Wat tearing a massive hole in the starboard (right) side of the boat. Even the reporters get things wrong.

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, he should pay compensation to the victims' families and he should go to prison. 

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Anyone else connected in anyway should also be locked up. Who knows - it might send a strong message to people who feel it's their god given right to do whatever they want to do in life that they can't. 

well sounds like he paid for insurance but he got scammed. how is it his fault the captain overloaded the boat? seems it is the boat captain who needs to be punished.

17 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Did you read the story?

The vessel slammed into a submerged  extension of the concrete apron / dock area in front of the Wat tearing a massive hole in the starboard (right) side of the boat. Even the reporters get things wrong.

Also if the boat was higher in the water (not overloaded) this might not have happened. Plus overtaking so close to shore is never a smart thing.. So i agree with you ratcatcher.

27 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

well sounds like he paid for insurance but he got scammed. how is it his fault the captain overloaded the boat? seems it is the boat captain who needs to be punished.

The buck stops with the man at the top. If you own the boat, you make the lion's share of the money. Meaning you have to be on top of everything. The driver will hopefully get what he deserves, but I doubt he was overloading the boat completely of his own volition. 

As for the insurance, if he bought and paid for insurance and he has documents signed for and saying so, there's not much else he can do. The people who signed it should be in a world of hurt. Only question is - where did he buy this insurance from?  How was this allowed to happen? 

So many questions.

In order to register a passenger carrying vessel a compulsory insurance policy is required. Some officers at the marine department have a side business as insurance brokers and offer policies to would be registrants. It would seem that in this case (and perhaps others) the "broker" has decided to keep the premium without buying the policy.

Well that is the rumour anyway.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

There's a lot more here than meet the eye, what ever he says he will sale to ' help

the victims " I'm sure it's only a small portion of it,

Get the DSI involved here to investigate the man and his operations, find him

guilty on negligence leading to death, strip him of everything he own and

throw his ass in jail so others will see and fear....

Tut tut ezzra. That is western farang thinking! Not allowed here - you should know that :coffee1:

But I like your thinking.

If he did in fact the insurance premium......somewhere, sometime from March to a few days ago, he must have received the insurance certificate......IMO, after admitting that he didn't think his boat would cause such loss of life.......London to a brick he's lying!

6 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Relatives think this is a loan. Newsflash!! Its a gift. I keep telling my g/f that after I am gone do not "loan" money to family and friends to them you are the rich one and they consider it a gift. Its similar to winning the lottery in the West. You have friends come out of the woodwork. 

3 hours ago, whatproblem said:

"Passenger boat owners have to get compulsory marine passenger insurance, under the Act on Navigation in Thai Waters BE 1913, and keep checking the expiry date for passenger insurance protection."

same the lifts in most hotels have certifcate of maintenance that are way out of date

I think the term "way out of date" could cover a lot of things here in the LOS right up to and including the present power structure. 

The second news article in the Nation actually had much more information in it. 

The guy is obviously lying a "bit" about his insurance.

It said: 

The insurance policy for the boat had expired in March.

The Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) secretary general, Suthiphon Thaveechaiyagarn, said the Sombatmongkolchai boat involved in the accident used to be insured with compulsory passenger assurance via the Thai Pattana Insurance Company.

"The insurance covered one year from March 10 2015 to March 10 2016 .

A little extra tidbit:

"I own just one boat. I never thought it would be involved in such an accident," Sunthorn said, adding he had paid the driver Bt500 to work on Sunday.

Remember this boat driver's license was also expired.

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

even if he had insurance they wouldn't pay out for negligence and overloading the boat to that extent was criminally negligent but when all is said and done it was the captain who was in charge and it was an accident, so punishment, yes but within reason, some jail time and some token reparation,he cant possibly pay for all the damage caused. The captain certainly deserves jail but he would be unaware that he had done anything wrong, overloading any vehicle here is considered normal practice, again it is the lack of control by the authorities that is largely to blame. 

1 hour ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Good for him. It's nice to someone take responsibility. Why can some people never congratulate Thai people when they do a good deed? I know, you think there's something it in for him as he wouldn't do this from the goodness of his heart. Get over it. 

I think what you don't understand is that it is common here for people to just SAY they will do something.  It is a delay tactic. It a lack of confrontation tactic.  It is a look good tactic.  You see how it is working on you already??  They don't actually ever DO IT.

I mean even in the West, would you sell your property to pay off your brother's debts?  Would that be good money management?  No it wouldn't be.  For civil liability having no money is good ...why would you look for money and bankrupt your relatives who have no liability??  Because you are a nice guy, right?  Have you heard of people here throwing around their money for that reason?

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Also if the boat was higher in the water (not overloaded) this might not have happened. Plus overtaking so close to shore is never a smart thing.. So i agree with you ratcatcher.

For a vessel of that size and the physics involved in buoyancy the overloading wouldn't have made any difference to the boat hitting a submerged object.

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

For a vessel of that size and the physics involved in buoyancy the overloading wouldn't have made any difference to the boat hitting a submerged object.

How do you know ? To know that for sure you need to have the exact dimensions of the boat. More people on a boat means it lies a bit deeper (not sure how much deeper) I am also not sure how deep the obstacle was. Without knowing both these things its hard to know for sure. (but yes unlike tankers and such there wont be a real big difference but 20 cm could have been all it needed)

4 hours ago, amykat said:

I think what you don't understand is that it is common here for people to just SAY they will do something.  It is a delay tactic. It a lack of confrontation tactic.  It is a look good tactic.  You see how it is working on you already??  They don't actually ever DO IT.

I mean even in the West, would you sell your property to pay off your brother's debts?  Would that be good money management?  No it wouldn't be.  For civil liability having no money is good ...why would you look for money and bankrupt your relatives who have no liability??  Because you are a nice guy, right?  Have you heard of people here throwing around their money for that reason?

If I had to sell my property to pay family debts that. of course, I'd try to help. They're my family. I'm sure, in this case, the business was run by the family. This is Asia, not Europe, where family bonds can be much tighter.