National Guard deployed to Charlotte amid further unrest over police shooting

webfact

National Guard deployed to Charlotte amid further unrest over police shooting

606x341_344729.jpg

CHARLOTTE: -- The national guard has been deployed in the US city of Charlotte, after a second night of violent protests over the police shooting of a black man.

A state of emergency is also place amid growing anger over Keith Lamont Scott’s death.

While strongly disputed by the 43-year-old’s family, earlier Charlotte’s police chief said evidence, though not definitive, supported the officer’s claims Scott was armed.

Kerr Putney, Charlotte-Mechlenburg’s Police Chief said: 
“The video does not give me absolute, definitive visual evidence that..that would confirm that a person is pointing the gun. I did not see that in the videos that I’ve reviewed”

One person was shot and seriously wounded and at least 44 people arrested after protests turned ugly in the North Carolina city late on Wednesday.

Nine other demonstrators and two officers were also hurt in the clashes downtown.

The disturbances grew more violent as officers carrying riot shields moved in. Looting also took place.

But Scott’s death and last week’s killing of Terence Clutcher in Oklahoma, who was unarmed, has once again raised questions of racial bias in US policing.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-23

4 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

So the family all swears the deceased was not carrying a firearm...but I have not read any of them were actually there and witness to the events.

Can someone clarify how his family knows what occured at the scene? 

They might know their family member doesn't carry a firearm?

Edited by mesterm

Amidst all the hoo ha about the cops killing civilians, people seem to believe that cops are robots that don't care if they are shot by suspects.

The reality is that cops are just human beings that want to go home to their families at night. Given the recent spate of police murdered by black people merely for being white, I'm not surprised cops are trigger happy.

Would YOU become a cop and risk your life every day for those that often hate you? I wouldn't.

While the blacks complain about cops, if the cops refused to protect black neighbourhoods, would they be happy?

On 9/22/2016 at 2:59 PM, ClutchClark said:

So the family all swears the deceased was not carrying a firearm...but I have not read any of them were actually there and witness to the events.

Can someone clarify how his family knows what occured at the scene? 

The mans wife witnessed and videoed her husbands murder.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/charlotte-stays-largely-peaceful-during-3rd-night-protest-062125956.html

Here is the alleged gun.

But watching the video above there is no gun or any other thing on the ground (2:15 in video) until a policeman drops something.

The photos of the alleged gun are taken much later, because there is police tape up in the photo.

Image result for Keith Lamont Scott had a gun

Image result for Keith Lamont Scott had a gun
Edited by dcutman

19 hours ago, mesterm said:

They might know their family member doesn't carry a firearm?

Do you know what every mother says about her son when he is arrested?

"My boy is a good boy and he would never do that."

Do you know how much this family will make in a Civil lawsuit against the City if there was a gun vs if there was not a gun? A wrongful death shooting will be worth $10 million more if no firearm is involved. 

The family is completely biased in their statement.

So I ask again, which one of the family members was witness to this shooting? Which one was in the vehicle or nearby and saw this shooting and can swear that theit family member did not have a firearm when confronted by Law Enforcement because what they say means absolutely nothing if they were 5 miles away.

thats the way the law works--its designed to protect people from having accusations made against them undeservedly. 

How would you like to have been assaulted and have the family of the guy who assaulted you swear that it could not have occurred like you state because their boy would never assault anybody? Do you see the problem with believing what you want to believe to be the case versus the actual events?

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

Do you know how much this family will make in a Civil lawsuit against the City if there was a gun vs if there was not a gun? A wrongful death shooting will be worth $10 million more if no firearm is involved. 

So I ask again, which one of the family members was witness to this shooting? Which one was in the vehicle or nearby and saw this shooting and can swear that theit family member did not have a firearm when confronted by Law Enforcement because what they say means absolutely nothing if they were 5 miles away.

thats the way the law works--its designed to protect people from having accusations made against them undeservedly. 

How would you like to have been assaulted and have the family of the guy who assaulted you swear that it could not have occurred like you state because their boy would never assault anybody? Do you see the problem with believing what you want to believe to be the case versus the actual events?

The mans wife was lightly closer than five miles away.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/charlotte-stays-largely-peaceful-during-3rd-night-protest-062125956.html

1 hour ago, dcutman said:

The video, recorded by Keith Lamont Scott's wife and released Friday by his family, does not indicate whether Scott had a gun. Police have said he was armed, but witnesses say he held only a book. The 2 ½-minute video does not show the shooting, though gunshots can be heard.

Scott's wife, Rakeyia Scott, tells officers that he has a TBI, or traumatic brain injury. At one point, she tells her husband to get out of the car so police don't break the windows. She also tells him, "don't do it," but it's not clear exactly what she means.

-----------

The news article in the link you provided states that the video does NOT show the shooting as your post indicates.

The article also appears to indocate that Scott (the deceased) was refusing to exit his vehicle as the police instructed and so his wife even had to tell him to exit the vehicle. 

The video did capture the wife instructing her husband to "not do it". What was he attempting to do? Possibly take a gun from under the seat or from the glove compartment? 

His wife informed police that Scott had a traumatic brain injury. Was he operating the motor vehicle? Should he be operating a motor vehicle with a traumatic brain injury or was she over-exaggerating the TBI to garner sympathy. 

Things that escalate a police encounter:

1) Refusing to follow police instructions to exit the vehicle.

2) Having a passenger video the events and poining a dark obkject in the direction of police.

3) Having a passenger screaming things. It interferes with the suspect being able to hear police commands and it makes the cops concerned why she is screaming. Is she screaming for her husband to not break the law? Or is she screaming because she is held against her will? 

Why do black people have such a difficult time simply following police orders and staying calm? 

18 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Yes, the family is biased, as is the police.

The wife was there when her husband was killed.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, the family is biased, as is the police.

The wife was there when her husband was killed.

The police respond to emergencies multiple times every day. What is the police bias you suggest?

Any intelligent person can recognize the bias a family member would have...but a trained professional responding to an emergency situation like they do every day of their career...what bias do they have? Do you have some proof that the officer who fired their weapon has shown bias in this incident? Can you show they have a record of bias? 

If not, then you are "reaching". 

33 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

The police respond to emergencies multiple times every day. What is the police bias you suggest?

Any intelligent person can recognize the bias a family member would have...but a trained professional responding to an emergency situation like they do every day of their career...what bias do they have? Do you have some proof that the officer who fired their weapon has shown bias in this incident? Can you show they have a record of bias? 

If not, then you are "reaching". 

You claim the family is biased because they want money. The police is biased because they want to protect their reputation and their officer.

The main reason the family is biased is a different reason of course.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

Why do black people have such a difficult time simply following police orders and staying calm? 

I dont know, if you had 4 or 5 cops with guns pointed at you, and screaming orders at the same time, one might be scared a shitless and not know what to do.

From what has been reported, this man was just sitting in his car waiting for his kids to get out of school, and he happen to be sitting in a parking lot where the police were serving a warrant on an unrelated person.  So he might have been caught a bit by surprise.

What makes you think he didnt stay calm and was following orders? As far as I know, the only thing that would show his behavior is the video the police have, and refuse to release to the public.

On 9/24/2016 at 8:06 AM, dcutman said:

I dont know, if you had 4 or 5 cops with guns pointed at you, and screaming orders at the same time, one might be scared a shitless and not know what to do.

From what has been reported, this man was just sitting in his car waiting for his kids to get out of school, and he happen to be sitting in a parking lot where the police were serving a warrant on an unrelated person.  So he might have been caught a bit by surprise.

What makes you think he didnt stay calm and was following orders? As far as I know, the only thing that would show his behavior is the video the police have, and refuse to release to the public.

I have.   5 pistols and an M16! I knew what to do.  

I would not say that I was not scared. But, I was not "scared a shitless"

I did exactly what they were screaming at me to do!

On September 23, 2016 at 9:06 PM, dcutman said:

To clarify your appraisal of the sitution. 

He was getting high while waiting to drive his child home. 

Why do I think he was not following orders? 

Well...because the officer continued to order Scott to drop his firearm several times which implies he had not followed the order the 1st, 2nd, 3rd et al. 

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:06 AM, dcutman said:

The video has been released and only confuses the issue. It took me several viewings to even work out who the victim was. It does not show him holding, or not holding anything.

He was apparently smoking dope, which was why the cops got involved with him.

If I had 4 or 5 armed cops screaming at me, I'd do what they said to do. If he didn't because he had a brain injury, he shouldn't have been driving.

Sometimes life is just ........., and it ends badly, so I'd say it's a long stretch to accuse the cops of premeditated murder in this case.