Niece of army torture victim indicted for defaming officer

webfact

Niece of army torture victim indicted for defaming officer

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter -

8-9-e1463972176206.jpg

A group of army conscripts march in a drill parade May 23 at the 11th Army Circle headquarters in Bangkok. Image: Matichon

BANGKOK — A woman whose uncle was beaten to death by drill sergeants on a southern army base five years ago was indicted Thursday for writing about his torture.

Naritsarawan Kaewnopparat is charged with defamation and violating the Computer Crime Act – two laws long described by activists as tools to suppress free speech – filed against her by the army officer who reportedly oversaw the deadly abuse.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2016/09/23/niece-army-torture-victim-indicted-defaming-officer/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-09-23

Oh for crying out loud.

Here we go again with two of the most ridiculous laws in the land demonstrating how the Thai legal system is, or should be, an international laughing stock.

The country will never move forward until these, and another anachronistic law, are relegated to the dustbin of history.

Not content with shooting themselves in the foot, they are now trying to do so with a howitzer! 

Do these people have any inkling of how absurd they are making themselves, and the state which they purport to serve, look?

How many others in Thailand's history have criticized the marching men and were silenced. I know there are lot across the nation especially down in the deep south. I guess the message is as always the truth is their truth and shut up because you don't love Thailand. We don't have the freedom to use all words to express ourselves these days. She a victim, another victim, another day and day after day.

Another dark example of justice involving Thailand's military madness!

Back in June 2011, Naritsarawan's uncle Wichian Puaksom (a young army draftee with a master's degree in social administration from Thammasat University) was tortured and beaten to death by a group of soldiers.

To date, no soldiers have been prosecuted after an investigation by a military court. However, Wichian's mother had better success in her quest for justice through the Civil Court. After filing a lawsuit for the wrongful death of her son in May 2012, the Wichian's family received ฿6.5 million compensation from the army in February 2014.

In October 2014, Naritsarawan continued the family's fight for justice by giving a media interview about the incident, and posting photos on the Pantip website. And, this has led to the current defamation charge, with an warrant for her arrest being granted back in February, her arrest in July, and now the indictment for defaming a person who may be an officer (but who is certainly no gentleman).

As if to add further distress to Wichian's family, the commanding officer present when the beating took place, Sub Lieutenant Om Malaihom, was promoted to Major in August! It is also believed to have been Malaihom who accused Naritsarawan of the offences under the Computer Crime Act.

Someone in higher authority needs to take Malaihom aside, and explain the difference between Vindicate and Vindictive!

When I tell folks "back home"  about this sort of incident (among the many examples of "uniqueness") their jaws drop and they ask me, in "amazement", why on earth would I want to live somewhere like that?

I usually answer that it is to be with one or two people in particular.

That seems to satisfy them.

What would you say?

Edited by Enoon

5 minutes ago, Enoon said:

When I tell folks "back home"  about this sort of incident (among the many examples of "uniqueness") their jaws drop and they ask me, in "amazement", why on earth would I want to live somewhere like that?

I usually 8 that it is to be with one or two people in particular.

What would you say?

Exactly that. To be with my family. 

And the hope that when the whole rotten edifice collapses ( and it will ) something better, emerges from the rubble.

The Thai people deserve it.

same story genre, different actors;

just like in muslimland, a raped girl is the guilty one, and the family (unless they were the ones who killed her), will suffer further if they complain...

In this new story - the soldier was too pretty for the Drill SGT to resist inflicting his power and will - over the meek...

...but, in buddhaland - karma'suture' will hopefully catch him and stitch him up

25 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

This relatively minor story (and I use that phrase with reservations) flags up just how out of control Thailand's military is. Somebody,  eventually, is going to have to take the bull by the horns if Thailand is to become a modern state.

There's way too much bull behind those horns.

Edited by jaltsc

49 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

This relatively minor story (and I use that phrase with reservations) flags up just how out of control Thailand's military is. Somebody, eventually, is going to have to take the bull by the horns if Thailand is to become a modern state.

Murder by the army is done in most countries. Just here they do it openly.

3 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Oh for crying out loud.

Here we go again with two of the most ridiculous laws in the land demonstrating how the Thai legal system is, or should be, an international laughing stock.

The country will never move forward until these, and another anachronistic law, are relegated to the dustbin of history.

Quit guys or the Thai tambourine bangers will be out in full force again. You know the love it or leave it crowd. Your supposed to shut your mouth and soak up the culture and sunshine only. Your not supposed to have opinions and express dislike. Join the Happy Boys circle of friends and let the natives squabble among themselves.  

2 minutes ago, bark said:

Murder by the army is done in most countries. Just here they do it openly.

Yes but in most countries they don't sue the victims' families. And, if enough pressure is applied, and their wrondoings are exposed (as often happens in other countries), they are prosecuted fully under criminal (but occasionally military) law.

3 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Yes but in most countries they don't sue the victims' families. And, if enough pressure is applied, and their wrondoings are exposed (as often happens in other countries), they are prosecuted fully under criminal (but occasionally military) law.

Most countries do not show people being killed. They just do it;   No can finds out.

3 hours ago, JAG said:

Not content with shooting themselves in the foot, they are now trying to do so with a howitzer! 

Do these people have any inkling of how absurd they are making themselves, and the state which they purport to serve, look?

They don't serve the state. They are the state.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Naritsarawan Kaewnopparat is charged with defamation and violating the Computer Crime Act – two laws long described by activists as tools to suppress free speech – filed against her by the army officer who reportedly oversaw the deadly abuse.

This is just so wrong.

btw, the Defamation/CCA combination is LM for the rich & powerful.

The CCA - brought to you by the last military junta, new and improved by this military junta.... 

3 hours ago, Enoon said:

I usually answer that it is to be with one or two people in particular.

What would you say?

I'm an idiot.

Thais have been bending over and taking up the clacker for decades from who ever can wield enough might,

they seem to like it,?? they certainly accept it.

but then is it any wonder the shins get support?