No payouts to boat victims' families because officials may have pocketed premiums

webfact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"... Sunthorn...said he paid officials for mandatory premiums for Thai Pattana Insurance Co. in June when he renewed the license in Nonthaburi province..."!

So, he should have records of this (and the government has a problem with corrupt officials), or he is not being truthful (and the government still has a problem, as compensation needs to be paid to the families of the victims). 

13 hours ago, Hawk said:

The picture now shows the boat has been repaired with some plastic sheeting, some old plywood and a few nails. Looks ready to sail again.

surprised they havent added another deck while theyre at it!!

13 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

The government should compensate for these deaths.

Will they get to the bottom of where the insurance policy money went to ?

If a clerical error, then surely the insurance should pay out.

Or just more stuff swept under the bulging rug ?

Why should the government compensate for this?

It is not the government's responsibility.  You act like a U.S. welfare recipient.  Never thinking where the money the government spends really comes from.  Private business is just that, private. If there is wrongdoing then go to court.  Don't always expect the government to intervene. 

14 hours ago, mike324 said:

Sounds like the captain is taking part of the blaming by selling his assets to compensate the victims, while the government officials just got a paid vacation .... hopefully both will be charged

Slight correction required here. He is primarily selling other peoples assets. He is selling his own boat which is now salvage value only and probably worth next to nothing and he says he is selling his brothers boat and his sisters land but they might have other ideas about that.

16 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Something not quite right here.

Once you have paid the insurance premium, you then get sent a policy.

If the boat owner did not have a policy, he would have known there was no insurance.

Not SO You pay the first premium then you get the policy They steal the other 11 payments Its that easy my friend

1 minute ago, realenglish1 said:

Not SO You pay the first premium then you get the policy They steal the other 11 payments Its that easy my friend

OK, say that is so. What about the receipts for the other eleven payments? If no receipts, the boat owner would still know he was uninsured.

Also, how do you know it was a monthly payment? Could have been annual like all the insurance policies I myself have bought.

17 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Great thought isn't it for everyone who pays money into a govt dept that it can mean absolutely nothing ?

I have to admit that over the years I haven't always been too careful with receipts especially for '  minor ' items and payments. but changed my ways because of a couple of things I'd heard.

Anyway, I'm not too confident that being able to produce a receipt etc will necessarily help in every dispute especially here where rules get made up as suits the need.

Why should the government compensate for this?

It is not the government's responsibility.  You act like a U.S. welfare recipient.  Never thinking where the money the government spends really comes from.  Private business is just that, private. If there is wrongdoing then go to court.  Don't always expect the government to intervene. 

You must not live on the same planet as the rest of TV. Have you not heard of a coup? The government gets involved in EVERYTHING in Thailand....thats the problem, no personal responsibility from the Thai population only government/military intervention when something doesnt go the way a person wants. Its the Thai way

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I am surprised no-one blames the passenger for singing and clapping while all dancing on one side, causing the 'captain to be distracted and went along to one side steering.

I have some experience with wooden boats and can tell you this floating coffin wasn't designed to carry more the X passengers.

But who stole the money and  where are the insurance papers then?

18 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

It looks like a temporary patch job using marine plywood in order to float the vessel to a shipyard where proper hull repairs can be made. OTOH, they may be better off to tow it out to sea and sink it for an artificial reef. That is now called a death boat. 

sinking it seems like a waste of a good boat. they can just have a buddist ceremony and put a spirit house on the bow so the ghosts have somewhere to stay.

18 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

If the boat owner did not have a policy, he would have known there was no insurance.

No but he got his license and he could not receive that without an insurance policy being in place - according to the article.

18 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

That can take weeks or months in low-tech Thailand. I know our car insurance renewal does. Anyway, I guess the boat owner assumed it had been sent and a staff member had filed it away.

<deleted> clerical error?are they really <deleted> stupid and openly admit to corruption? 

They should face the firing squad for such immoral act that would affect thousands of other indured souls.

I think all top brass involved directly or indirectly should be tried in an open court 

Where's that farang retiree who recently moved here and asked us why some of us are so unhappy and complaining? Here, things like this, the poisoning of 100 school kids, corporation heirs getting away scott free with outright murder, corruption at the highest levels in the billions like with the general's son - All that while the majority of Thai people are poor and struggling, unable to make sense of all the unfairness and injustice going on in this country. 

All that and more is why we're unhappy.

20 hours ago, inaktive said:

sadly normal in Thailand ...

20 hours ago, colinneil said:

Embezzlement or clerical error !!!! Clerical error !!! :cheesy:

Out and out thieving, sadly just an everyday occurrence  here.

20 hours ago, kingalfred said:

What a surprise..not . The hub of "don't give a <deleted> about anyone"

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

"They were just a bunch of worthless Muslims".....<- that's what the authorities arrogantly think.....

5 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

"They were just a bunch of worthless Muslims".....<- that's what the authorities arrogantly think.....

That's a nasty sentiment to assume the authorities will adopt.

In Pakistan I read in a news report that within government employees are being encouraged to turn whistle-blower. The incentive being the whistle-blower will receive 30% of the ill-gotten gains.

Maybe this concept should be adopted in Thailand

20 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Correct, Why would you leave an insurance office without a copy of insurance paid? Regardless of insurance the owner deserves life in prison for his crimes. Insurance is not a license to break all the rules.