Drivers who delay paying fines face harsher penalty

rooster59

Drivers who delay paying fines face harsher penalty

SURIYA PATATHAYO
THE NATION

30296067-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK:-- POLICE are considering the idea of quadrupling fines for drivers who fail to pay their traffic tickets within 30 days.

The police subcommittee on solving traffic problems in Bangkok and its neighbouring provinces convened its latest meeting on Thursday when members recommended sharply increasing the penalty to deter offenders from simply shrugging off tickets. 

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-24

Solving traffic problems.... when you see those patrol cops on motorcycle riding by

and ignoring all those blatant traffic infractions and transgressions going around them

as if it's not here, you know that nothing will be done any time soon to solve the problems...

It's a choice not to pay because enforcement is lacking and the masses seems well aware of the lack of ability and capacity by the enforcers to effectively do anything?

What's the penultimate penalty for not paying traffic fines for the common Thai folks? Impounding vehicles seems like a slap on the wrist and unlikely enforceable? Jail time, were there such precedence for traffic fines from non-fatal offences?

Edited by HoboKay

9 minutes ago, HoboKay said:

Its a choice not to pay because enforcement is lacking?

What's the penultimate penalty for not paying traffic fines for the common Thai folks? Jail time?

if there are any outstanding fines then cannot re-register vehicle until the fines are paid; in theory!

it is a good idea to have a penalty for late payments, the only way to make people think twice is hit their wallet. Though as ezzra said, lots of infractions are just ignored. Maybe they need an incentive scheme that the cops get a percentage of any official fines, at least for a few years to get the cops into a routine of actually doing their jobs!

Last year following Songkran police in the Khon Kaen area announced that hundreds of drivers had been caught by the speed cameras on Highway 2 which passes through the centre of the city.

It was also stated the majority of the fines would never be paid because drivers paid no heed to the demand notices sent out and it was difficult to chase them up. Little wonder drivers don't worry about this type of offence.

When I drive my son to school in the mornings (3 km)we count the obvious law breaking vehicles ,from no helmets to kids riding motorbike minibus driving fast on opposite side of road and it's usually 60%or more that are obviously breaking the law ,no police about because if they not see it ,even the police man outside the school blocks the pavement with his motorbike making children walk on the road 

3 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

if there are any outstanding fines then cannot re-register vehicle until the fines are paid; in theory!

it is a good idea to have a penalty for late payments, the only way to make people think twice is hit their wallet. Though as ezzra said, lots of infractions are just ignored. Maybe they need an incentive scheme that the cops get a percentage of any official fines, at least for a few years to get the cops into a routine of actually doing their jobs!

Has been tried.

The only result was more fines for minor infractions which did not do anything to make traffic safer.

It only helped filling the state coffers.

Where I come from, Ontario Can. We have to get a new license sticker ever year that falls on you birthday. They look in the computer to see if there are unpaid fines , parking tickets etc. If there are you can't get the sticker until they are paid.

On time I wasn't paying attention to my speed and cop pulled me over. I said I hadnt had a ticket in years. Hé goes to his car and checks on the computer  (all police cars have computers ). Hé comes back and said I was right and let me off with a warning to watch my speed.

5 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

Where I come from, Ontario Can. We have to get a new license sticker ever year that falls on you birthday. They look in the computer to see if there are unpaid fines , parking tickets etc. If there are you can't get the sticker until they are paid.

On time I wasn't paying attention to my speed and cop pulled me over. I said I hadnt had a ticket in years. Hé goes to his car and checks on the computer  (all police cars have computers ). Hé comes back and said I was right and let me off with a warning to watch my speed.

Never knew the Canadian police took the law into their own hands. You were speeding!

3 hours ago, Caveat Emptor said:

It was also stated the majority of the fines would never be paid because drivers paid no heed to the demand notices sent out and it was difficult to chase them up

I thought they already could ( already do ) refuse to issue a new tax disc for vehicles with unpaid fines,  also cant sell the vehicle with unpaid fines

if they don't already do this it should be quite simple to implement  with one of those new fangled super duper database thingies !

This action has merit but is misguided if they think quadrupling traffic fines is going to help reduce traffic congestion. This imagined solution merely proves they have no solutions.

"The police subcommittee on solving traffic problems in Bangkok and it's neighbouring provinces convened its latest meeting on Thursday when members recommended sharply increasing the penalty to deter offenders from simply shrugging off tickets".

What sort of dreamworld do they live in to image this will help traffic congestion? That is a rhetorical question.

false addresses don't help, yes MR ROMUALD ROSTREN, i am talking about you, you have never lived at this address, first i get a ticket for illegal parking , and now i have got another for illegally crossing chevrons on the highway, so if anyone knows this "a hole"  the word is out.

simple, if they have outstanding tickets seize the car, give them a set amount of time to pay the fine and charge them a holding fee or their car will be sold to reimburse the costs involved and the original fine/s, watch them run to pay the fines then.

10 hours ago, Beats56 said:

You said it COMPUTERS.  That is were Thailand Land Transportation falls flat on its face.

3 hours ago, seajae said:

simple, if they have outstanding tickets seize the car, give them a set amount of time to pay the fine and charge them a holding fee or their car will be sold to reimburse the costs involved and the original fine/s, watch them run to pay the fines then.

If they're rich, they'll just buy another car.

16 hours ago, johng said:

I thought they already could ( already do ) refuse to issue a new tax disc for vehicles with unpaid fines,  also cant sell the vehicle with unpaid fines

if they don't already do this it should be quite simple to implement  with one of those new fangled super duper database thingies !

Take the example of Khon Kaen, how many vehicles caught by the cameras were from another province ?

Where vehicles are registered other than the province where the offence took place do the BIB bother to forward the information to the licensing office in the appropriate province ? Sounds like an awful lot of WORK !

Totally agree.. I myself don't see why this issue is an issue of you will.

Failure to pay fine (assuming you've chosen not to challenge the matter in a court option, if such is available to you) should mean increasing fines and consequences.

I wholly agree with placing a "stopper" on cars registered to you or as co-registration name (if law allows)

I also think that after some point in time, failing to pay or otherwise satisfy the infractions' legal process, should move the matter to a criminal one where penalties/consequences move up.

Will this eliminate this issue? No, but I think that it will move up the over all level of compliance, and that should free up compliance resources to address those who have chosen not to be complaint for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect