The Londoner, reopened

thonglorjimmy

12 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

My local pub in Phra Khanong has fresher, colder Tiger draft than RH. And cheaper.  I was a regular quiz night player so had lots of chance to drink beer at RH but never had a good pint (of Tiger, Carlsberg or Heineken) there. Ever. 

You might find it colder and cheaper and overall tasting better, but I doubt you'll find it fresher than at RH.

I know very well how much beer they serve, and when they have beer on promotion  (Carlsberg and Heineken at the minute) a keg can be cracked open and be finished within an hour, with ease. As far as I'm concerned, it's going to be difficult to get fresher than that.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2016 at 11:45 AM, Deserted said:

If people were earning Western salaries I could understand it more but if you've been around for a while, you'll have noticed that each year, or each time they bring out a new menu, the prices of the English pubs creep up a little. Nothing much to cause outrage, just 10 or 20 baht a time, but 5 years down the line you see the difference, and in my opinion, these places aren't as busy as they used to be on the whole. And certainly aren't any better. Look at the Black Swn now for example, what a joke that place has become. The Queen Vic too, I've been to more exciting funerals than that place. Royal Oak, is dead a lot of the time. The Pintsman was dead the last two times I went there. 

Yes great shame about The Black Swan. Did all the regulars from Sukhumvit just decide it wasn't worth the bother of walking down Soi 19, never the cheapest of places the food prices were/are always a bit ambitious.

So it's not just me that thinks the pub and bar scene in central Bangkok has lost it's way. They all just seem to imitate suburban pubs from whichever country they are supposed to represent and are just soulless rooms hoping to make a living off passing trade. Never mind the quality of the food can anyone suggest a place where there is actually a bit of "crack" or even atmosphere?  Is the fact that there are a load of TV screens supposed to make any place interesting.

3 hours ago, rott said:

Yes great shame about The Black Swan. Did all the regulars from Sukhumvit just decide it wasn't worth the bother of walking down Soi 19, never the cheapest of places the food prices were/are always a bit ambitious.

So it's not just me that thinks the pub and bar scene in central Bangkok has lost it's way. They all just seem to imitate suburban pubs from whichever country they are supposed to represent and are just soulless rooms hoping to make a living off passing trade. Never mind the quality of the food can anyone suggest a place where there is actually a bit of "crack" or even atmosphere?  Is the fact that there are a load of TV screens supposed to make any place interesting.

I've had plenty of fun in Bangkok pubs...all about the clientele and your timing really.

I've always enjoyed a pint at Hemingway's on Soi 14.  Shame it's closing at the end of the month (land was sold to Japanese investors who intend to build a hotel.)  If you've never had the pleasure, you've got about two weeks to visit a very pleasant drinking/eating environment.

26 minutes ago, Diplomatico said:

I've always enjoyed a pint at Hemingway's on Soi 14.  Shame it's closing at the end of the month (land was sold to Japanese investors who intend to build a hotel.)  If you've never had the pleasure, you've got about two weeks to visit a very pleasant drinking/eating environment.

Wait, what? Isnt that house from the 1920s? So they're just going to bulldoze a historical teak house to build yet another hotel??

Never took to the middle class atmosphere of Hemingways (though Smokie felt differently) but a shame to see it go, it was a different animal from the rest. And to Smokie, clientele and timing was the point of my post. Both seem to have left us behind.

"Craic", yes i am aware of the favoured spelling but not being a native gaelic speaker I spell it the way I pronounce it. Sorry about that.

:sad:

On 16/10/2016 at 5:46 PM, rott said:

...can anyone suggest a place where there is actually a bit of "crack" or even atmosphere?

A pub is just a room. It takes people to give a pub atmosphere.

You can't blame the building or the business if the people that use it aren't the type of people you prefer to associate with.

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

A pub is just a room. It takes people to give a pub atmosphere.

You can't blame the building or the business if the people that use it aren't the type of people you prefer to associate with.

Not sure of your point, I was asking if anyone knew of anywhere that was more than just a room. Lately all there is are rooms full of TV's and pizzas which sort of destroy the point of being in Bangkok. I am (or was) used to places with a bit of edge about them. Bangkok bar life has seemingly "moved on" and become sterilized, homogenous whatever and lost the bit that made it interesting.

Recently there was a thread on TV about convivial watering holes and someone jumped on with a photo of the breakfast at Hanrahans. Well whoopee but that was not exactly the point. Or exactly not the point.

We still tear it up from time to time Rott.

There are a number of Thai style bars around Lower to mid Suk where we might do this....the one near the corner of Soi 15 is a current favourite with its super cheap beer and liberal music approach... not to mention as loud as we want....although obviously not this month.

Heningways was always more of a Sunday afternoon chill session for me after a good Indian buffet lunch.

It was a good venue as a Mexican and transformed into a wonderful pub by the current tenants....a dreadful shame if the building is destroyed imho.

2 hours ago, smokie36 said:

We still tear it up from time to time Rott.

There are a number of Thai style bars around Lower to mid Suk where we might do this....the one near the corner of Soi 15 is a current favourite with its super cheap beer and liberal music approach... not to mention as loud as we want....although obviously not this month.

Heningways was always more of a Sunday afternoon chill session for me after a good Indian buffet lunch.

It was a good venue as a Mexican and transformed into a wonderful pub by the current tenants....a dreadful shame if the building is destroyed imho.

Well we could always use another mall to drink in.

Agree Smokie. My problem was that once I was in Jools I never seemed to get out in any state and look elsewhere

I have since taken to rediscovering Patpong, lovely bars just a shortage of customers - and no I am not on about go-gos or whoring dens.

Not sure what I did to get in bold. But to be fair my last post was very lucid considering I had just got in after my first session in four days.

2 hours ago, rott said:

Agree Smokie. My problem was that once I was in Jools I never seemed to get out in any state and look elsewhere

I have since taken to rediscovering Patpong, lovely bars just a shortage of customers - and no I am not on about go-gos or whoring dens.

Not sure what I did to get in bold. But to be fair my last post was very lucid considering I had just got in after my first session in four days.

I'd forgotten about Patpong until you mentioned it. It's about the only venue with anything remotely boasting a bit of the classic Bangkok character. I hope it still has it, anyway. One of my faves was Cosmos, especially on a Friday night when it was very busy with a wide variety of nationalities and just decent fun. I too am not talking about skirt chasing. I just enjoyed the atmosphere. The two Thai brothers who owned it were always there. The stouter brother with the long grey hair was a real gent.

You wrote:

Bangkok bar life has seemingly "moved on" and become sterilized, homogenous whatever and lost the bit that made it interesting.

Agree. 100%. I would add the long-running decline of sanuk has removed a lot of this town's attraction. Which leaves not much left. I guess it was inevitable when the current administration is bent on selling everything for malls and "cleaning up" Thailand's image.

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I'd forgotten about Patpong until you mentioned it. It's about the only venue with anything remotely boasting a bit of the classic Bangkok character. I hope it still has it, anyway. One of my faves was Cosmos, especially on a Friday night when it was very busy with a wide variety of nationalities and just decent fun. I too am not talking about skirt chasing. I just enjoyed the atmosphere. The two Thai brothers who owned it were always there. The stouter brother with the long grey hair was a real gent.

You wrote:

Agree. 100%. I would add the long-running decline of sanuk has removed a lot of this town's attraction. Which leaves not much left. I guess it was inevitable when the current administration is bent on selling everything for malls and "cleaning up" Thailand's image.

"...the current administration is bent on selling everything for malls and "cleaning up" Thailand's image."

What does that mean?  The current 'administration' is the government which has no responsibility for the sale of privately owned property, the preservation of that private property (unless it is protected) nor what it is developed into.

Maybe you are referring to government owned properties that the administration is bent on selling [sic] for development into malls, but I can't think of any.

Much as I likely wouldn't drink in the Queen Vic I always rated it for the big breakfast. Couple of months ago i noticed the prices had gone up. But quality was still the same.

Just polished another breakfast and I'd say the quality / quantity had now dropped too. In particular:

Less bacon
Fewer baked beans
Awful, finely chopped and small portion of poorly cooked and tasteless mushrooms (always rated the definitely fried mushrooms here before)
Black pudding more fatty

Still serve those awful oil absorbing overly crunchy potato things (supposed to be bubble and squeak or hash browns?). Didn't seem to be cooked as nicely as before either.

In the past I've found the staff OK there. The current batch though, at least today, miserable as sin. I think LOS means Land of Snarls where this bunch is concerned.

In the past I've never bothered trying other places as I always enjoyed it so much at the Vic. I'll be trying others from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

In the past I've found the staff OK there. The current batch though, at least today, miserable as sin. I think LOS means Land of Snarls where this bunch is concerned.

So you have experienced in the Queen Vic what I and many friends have. It has gone down in every way. If I was the owner i would be firing the lot in there as they have no service skills and look at you like' what are you doing in here'. The last time I walked in as the only customer the two staff turned away, so they didn't have to serve me. I walked back out.

Keeping on track of the thread I have to say the Londoner staff are very happy and efficient.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

On 18/10/2016 at 0:05 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

You wrote:

I could go a few beers in the Crown Royal right about now. Not been there for nearly a decade. I bet it's still got the same slappers in there!

Anyway, you lot moaning about the sorry state of pubs in Bangkok should have a mooch about Chiang Mai. It's dire. The only saving grace is 190 baht for Guinness at one establishment but it has less soul than Vanilla Ice.

I could go a few beers in the Crown Royal right about now. Not been there for nearly a decade. I bet it's still got the same slappers in there!

Anyway, you lot moaning about the sorry state of pubs in Bangkok should have a mooch about Chiang Mai. It's dire. The only saving grace is 190 baht for Guinness at one establishment but it has less soul than Vanilla Ice.

Damn right on that front!! I live in CM now but am implementing Operation GTFO after Christmas. CM is great for many things but nightlife and entertainment ain't one of them.

I'm in BKK just now, house hunting, amongst other things. Might give The Londoner and The Royal Oak a try just by way of comparison.

Sent using Tapatalk

I did some Guineas in Virginia a couple weeks ago..325ml bottles...about 50thb each...5.8% stout...tastes like Budweiser mixed with yesterday's coffee.  Not in the same league as Sierra Nevada stout, and Heineken would have been just as good for 1/3 less..and still in the 355ml containers.  Maybe I was missing the canned beans or a nice Swanson pot pie..but I don't get all the hype. 

Well. Walked up past The Robin Hood and The Royal Oak last night. Royal Oak looked busier but both just seemed a bit drab. Maybe they're better when the entertainment isn't on hold but I gave them both a pass last night. On the basis of that, don't think I'll be making the trip out to The Londoner.

Sent using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, SooKee said:

Well. Walked up past The Robin Hood and The Royal Oak last night. Royal Oak looked busier but both just seemed a bit drab. Maybe they're better when the entertainment isn't on hold but I gave them both a pass last night. On the basis of that, don't think I'll be making the trip out to The Londoner.

Sent using Tapatalk

I agree. I was in the Robin Hood last night for a bite to eat. No music, and no atmosphere, which is understandable at the current time.

In addition to no music being played in most places, October is a low point in the calendar for many bars in Bangkok.

Hopefully it picks up again starting next month due to the change in weather, etc.

19 hours ago, SooKee said:

Sent using Tapatalk

Next time by there, stop into Herrity's, located between the Hood and the Oak. Only been there twice but service was pretty good and the outdoor terrace quite comfortable. Got there for happy hour pints just in time (8 pm). I ordered one and I was asked if I wanted to order more at the happy hour price. I did and so they served them as I needed them. 

The Londoner is off the beaten path for me. The only reason I'll go out there is for the brew pub beer. I'm just not confident we will see that beer any time soon. However, I hear they're doing great business, with huge Thai clientele. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/24/2016 at 7:49 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Next time by there, stop into Herrity's, located between the Hood and the Oak. Only been there twice but service was pretty good and the outdoor terrace quite comfortable. Got there for happy hour pints just in time (8 pm). I ordered one and I was asked if I wanted to order more at the happy hour price. I did and so they served them as I needed them. 

The Londoner is off the beaten path for me. The only reason I'll go out there is for the brew pub beer. I'm just not confident we will see that beer any time soon. However, I hear they're doing great business, with huge Thai clientele. 

It's already being served.. 3 beers. An IPA, a low carb and the Pilsner. 150 baht a pint all day