What good books are you reading?

thaipod

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Collapse, by Jared Diamond - for the 2nd time. Very occasionally, he gets a bit academic, but otherwise a brilliant anthropological look into how certain civilizations collapsed. Everyone I have lent this to has raved about it.

IMG20160926155011.jpg

All have been read the first time....If it's been awhile since getting to the bookstore I'll grab one for  second reading....

Right now on a David Baldacci....The Collectors.....

My wife has her's numbered/in order, & cataloged on shelves....

Mine live on the floor in the gym/karaoke room....

Edited by pgrahmm

Just read all the Jack Reacher books (11 or 12 of them). Working on all of Harry Harrison's books - his Stainless Steel Rat series is great mind candy. Ian M Banks is the next in line, he is great. Always recommend Wilbur Smith - everything he wrote about Western-African interactions is gold! Dick Francis is another author on steeplechase racing detectives I could not live without! Gregory McGuire did a huge series on Oz, a must read!James Blish series on world space travel is worth a read or two. I have recently gone through the Game of Thrones series - twice - and it was worth it. All the classic sci-fi authors deserve a look, Asimov, Burroughs, Clark, Heinlein, L. Ron Hubbard - those I have read at least twice. Steven R. Donaldson for more fantasy.  Andy McNabb or Vince Flynn for shootem-ups.  All Tom Clancy's novels on the Jack Ryan Series are great... I could go on and on. I travel a lot and try to read every day, I can usually get through 250-300 books a year, mostly mind candy since work is tough and I need a break... 

50 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

All have been read the first time....If it's been awhile since getting to the bookstore I'll grab one for  second reading....

Right now on a David Baldacci....The Collectors.....

My wife has her's numbered/in order, & cataloged on shelves....

Mine live on the floor in the gym/karaoke room....

When I moved here I left over 5000 volumes - hard and soft backed - and now rely on the Kindle. I still have around 17,000 Kindle books to go through, that is about 50 years at my pace...

I don't see any mention of Christopher G Moore here... a must read for anyone living in Thailand!  Start anywhere...

https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Christipher+G+moore+books

He publishes his own books as well as other SE Asian authors...  

http://www.heavenlakepress.com/

also... Where China Meet India....  Thant Myint-U   ..   https://www.amazon.com/Where-China-Meets-India-Crossroads/dp/0374533520

..and one more favourite... Amitav Ghosh...  https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Amitav+Ghosh..+books

...and for something completly   different!... Haruki Murakami ...  https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Haruki+Murakami+books

Keep the thread going.. love it!

Oh!.. and at the moment just finishing John Burdett's 'The Bangkok Asset'.. disturbing, weird.. captivating.. 

Edited by Laza 45

The Crusades through Arab Eyes by Amin Malouf.........How our Richard the Lionheart the 33 year old red-headed giant whose noble ideals did little to conceal his baffling brutality and complete lack of scruples.  What he did to Jews and Arabs alike was horrific.

The Golden Age of Arabic Science by Jim Al-Khalili

Aristote de Bagdad by Mohamad-Reza Fashahi

Friction by Sandra Brown

Mean Streak by Sandra Brown

Edited by Gillyflower

1 hour ago, smccolley said:

Just read all the Jack Reacher books (11 or 12 of them). Working on all of Harry Harrison's books - his Stainless Steel Rat series is great mind candy. Ian M Banks is the next in line, he is great. Always recommend Wilbur Smith - everything he wrote about Western-African interactions is gold! Dick Francis is another author on steeplechase racing detectives I could not live without! Gregory McGuire did a huge series on Oz, a must read!James Blish series on world space travel is worth a read or two. I have recently gone through the Game of Thrones series - twice - and it was worth it. All the classic sci-fi authors deserve a look, Asimov, Burroughs, Clark, Heinlein, L. Ron Hubbard - those I have read at least twice. Steven R. Donaldson for more fantasy.  Andy McNabb or Vince Flynn for shootem-ups.  All Tom Clancy's novels on the Jack Ryan Series are great... I could go on and on. I travel a lot and try to read every day, I can usually get through 250-300 books a year, mostly mind candy since work is tough and I need a break... 

Have you read any books about Africa written by Stewart Cloete?

IMHO he writes better books than W.Smith.

The collected horror short stories by E Nesbit. 

An author better known for her children's books such as The Railway Children, Five Children and It etc; her horror shorts are incredible and available for free at Archive.org et al.....

Something Wrong (1893)
Grim Tales (1893)
Tales Told in Twilight (1897)
Fear (1910)

Perfect for those dark, stormy, rainy season nights.....

Ecstasy of the Deep.  A Charmed life against all odds.   Available as a download from Amazon, Google etc The astonishing adventures of a long time local expat in Thailand and Asia in the 60's and 70's. Some local expats claimed they could not put it down. Some great photos too!

lon ldriess, Australian author.-

lsles of Despair,

the true story of Barbara Thompson, sole survivor of a native attack in the Torres Strait.

The Desert Column,

l ldriess adventures in 1918.

Guiseppe Maniscalco.

The Long Walk(not to be confused with "The Longest Walk")

True story of an ltalian soldier who walked from Ethiopia to South Africa in 1943.

Karen Blixen.

Out of Africa.

Enigma-the battle for the code.

True story of how the British(with Polish help)broke the German codes of WWII.

That will do for now!

If your looking for something funny try Tom Sharpe, he wrote the Wilt series among others and I find when reading his books I often have to stop as the tears of laughter are streaming down my face, the way he writes leads to a crescendo of hilarity.

I also had difficulty putting down any of Steig Larsons Millenium trilogy even though I thought the first and second were the best the third one isn't a bad read either.

A friend of mine from my old Bangkok days in the early 90's recently had a book published it is called "A Field Of Virgins" by Ian Devey and is worth a read but I think it is only on kindle.

51 minutes ago, stander said:

Finding George Orwell in Burma by Emma Larkin

...recently read Burmese Days.. so good!  Love Orwell...

I didn't know Orwell's mother was born in Burma!  Excellent tip.. thank you...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/79793.Finding_George_Orwell_in_Burma

Edited by Laza 45
added information