Briton gets 4,000 baht fine for not staying where he was registered

webfact

Immigration goes on their computers to see if a hotel, guest house etc., has registered you as having been there. Lets say that you stayed at a hotel and the hotel did not register you with immigration, unless you can provide a receipt, you are responsible, they do not go after the hotel owner. I had a long chat with one of the supervisors at Sri Racha yesterday.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The law is quite clear ON THIS MATTER, REPORT WHERE YOU ARE STAYING, SHOULD YOU MOVE REPORT THAT. IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, ALTHOUGH IT WOULD SEEM TO MANY POSTERS IT IS AN INFRINGEMENT. the hotels and other places where foreigners stay also have to report your details, which the majority do.

if you do not like the laws, LEAVE...simple .

17 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

To be fair this is a constipated rule which was also applied by UK IMMIG at one time and maybe still in force.Simply inform the Sharks that U changed your address n you will be safe BAD GUY?

Great post Mickmouse1.

This really is a 'no-brainer' just as you describe.

1 hour ago, Khun Paul said:

The law is quite clear ON THIS MATTER, REPORT WHERE YOU ARE STAYING, SHOULD YOU MOVE REPORT THAT. IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, ALTHOUGH IT WOULD SEEM TO MANY POSTERS IT IS AN INFRINGEMENT. the hotels and other places where foreigners stay also have to report your details, which the majority do.

Clear as mud

The law is, the house master must submit a tm30 within 24 hrs of the arival of a foreinger at their property (house, condo, apt etc)

I know of no form or rule that states you cant leave that property or form to submit at the time a foreigner does leave.

I am registered, at a location,  can i leave that location, and if so, how long, where r the details ?

There is something not being reported in this story.  Why was the falang fined when it was the owner of the property where staying who was not in compliance?   The TM30 is about the owner of the property registering, not the falang. No?

Edited by rexall

Jesus the man was caught living at an address full time which for some reason was not the address he gave to immigration. Maybe an oversight on his behalf. Maybe he moved and forgot to tell immigration and was going to do it with next 90 day report as a lot of people on here say to do.. he got a fine a rap on knuckles no big deal stop making facts up that you don't know or to fit your pathetic  theories.

18 hours ago, Ronuk said:

Why is it so hard for those living here to comply with the rules? The days of doing as you like here are rapidly coming to an end. 

You are right about that, but the fact that govt officials can make up rules and regulations up to their discretion makes it a bit hard to comply.

For example: the is this written rule, that every foreigner, staying in the Kingdom, temporarily should report to the nearest immigration or police-station within 24 hours after arrival.

I think that nobody is actually doing that in person.

People who are living here on extensions should report every 90 days at the nearest immigration office. I know one person who lives in the Khon Kaen area; he has extended his stay in Jomtien and therefore his 90 day reports are not accepted in KK and he is sent every time to Jomtien. "You extend stay in Jomtien, so you must report in Jomtien" was the message.

Another person I know lives in Pattaya and should report in Jomtien, but unfortunately he forgot to report and found out about it while he was in the KK area........he reported at KK immigration........."No phomphem!!"

7 hours ago, Torrens54 said:

The LAW is THE LAW.

Nothing to do with Tourism, the guy is a Long Termer!

People hurl this slogan around "The LAW is THE LAW" and I have absolutely no idea what it is supposed to mean.  

The CABBAGE is THE CABBAGE!   And the LAW is not THE CABBAGE, and the CABBAGE IS not the TAXI CAB . . .  BUT, for gawd  sake, The TAXI CAB is THE TAXI CAB!!!!  

So what?  This slogan is  jibber jabber.

Edited by rexall

57 minutes ago, rexall said:

There is something not being reported in this story.  Why was the falang fined when it was the owner of the property where staying who was not in compliance?   The TM30 is about the owner of the property registering, not the falang. No?

Interesting question, what fine is applied to hotel, guest house for not reporting?  Does immigration actually go after them. They can check their computers to see if the hotel registered them. Yesterday my g/f was fined 800 Baht for reporting me 48 hours after entering the country, we both returned from Cambodia, I had never stayed at her residence before.

8 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

was he going to overstay or just a holiday stay.they is more to the story I think and why the police went out and tried to find him

Yes, I think more to the story.

If he wasnt where he reported, How did they know where to look. 

PEOPLE : complain on your embasy on all problems. here on thaivisa- ZERO 

thais are 70 milion population .. they absolutly don care or dont respect any other nations. even chinese don t want do biznys with them.. so it must by bad with them . 

:smile:

Edited by Rimmer
Off topic vid removed

6 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

shame about the cambodians, they come to escape abject poverty of their homes, no doubt "sponsored" by some third party. I see a lot of very young Cambodians working at the resorts in Koh Larn. It's the same as our immigrant farm workers in the US. Officially denigrated by out hypocrite Republicans who are happy to hire them to work at  their luxury mansions and kitchens landscaping, cooking, and cleaning for less than minimum wage, paying no taxes. 

LOL.   Yeah, it's only Republicans who hire the illegals.  And that as opposed to the Dems who merely want them as future politically beholden voters - even possibly illegal ones without ID...

IMO, BOTH these posts should be deleted - mine & yours - as off-topic (and in your case, trolling as well).

55 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Interesting question, what fine is applied to hotel, guest house for not reporting?  Does immigration actually go after them. They can check their computers to see if the hotel registered them. Yesterday my g/f was fined 800 Baht for reporting me 48 hours after entering the country, we both returned from Cambodia, I had never stayed at her residence before.

Your g/f reported you staying at her house a day late?  Why?  Why not report you just got there?  Seems a bit odd to me.  I've stayed at 300 or so g/f's house and never once did they suggest reporting it to Thai Immigration.  Wow you must have quite a different g/f.  How would she know to report you?  I've never met a Thai person who has heard of this regulation.  

There must be more to the story.  

24 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Your g/f reported you staying at her house a day late?  Why?  Why not report you just got there?  Seems a bit odd to me.  I've stayed at 300 or so g/f's house and never once did they suggest reporting it to Thai Immigration.  Wow you must have quite a different g/f.  How would she know to report you?  I've never met a Thai person who has heard of this regulation.  

I flew out, of Thailand, came back after 2-3 weeks.

My wife and I went to immigration so she could file a new tm30.  (register a foreigner within 24 hrs of arrival at your house, apt, condo etc)

The immigration office was pressing her on if I had been at my wife's house longer than 24 hrs, and my wife showed the IO mydeparture card stamp, and my plane ticket stubs, in order to prove I had not been in Thailand longer than 24hrs. 

(I had been in Thailand for about 23 hrs at the time we were at the immigration office)

Edited by Dakhar

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I think more to the story.

If he wasnt where he reported, How did they know where to look. 

Perhaps it is not about the TM30 at all, but abut his arrival card or his 90 day report?

13 hours ago, Ronuk said:

Don't include me with your bar stool freaks, no hopers and waste of timers. I do except one thing you say, and that it's time for you to go because you very obviously find it acceptable to live here but don't want to live by the rules.That's obvious from your post. It's a shame we can't turn the clocks back and the UK did exactly what the Thais are attempting. Fact is, Thailand is full of the undesirables that nobody else wants. The quicker people that have decided to live here, accept they are no more than immigrants in Thai society, the easier they may find it.

Why do you keep on about "the rules" when it isn't a rule? There have been millions of tourists every year and this is the only one that has had a problem. Like I say, there is more to this than we are being told.

IT'S NOT MY JOB TO REPORT MY PRESENCE WHEN I MOVE.

5 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

You are right about that, but the fact that govt officials can make up rules and regulations up to their discretion makes it a bit hard to comply.

For example: the is this written rule, that every foreigner, staying in the Kingdom, temporarily should report to the nearest immigration or police-station within 24 hours after arrival.

I think that nobody is actually doing that in person.

People who are living here on extensions should report every 90 days at the nearest immigration office. I know one person who lives in the Khon Kaen area; he has extended his stay in Jomtien and therefore his 90 day reports are not accepted in KK and he is sent every time to Jomtien. "You extend stay in Jomtien, so you must report in Jomtien" was the message.

Another person I know lives in Pattaya and should report in Jomtien, but unfortunately he forgot to report and found out about it while he was in the KK area........he reported at KK immigration........."No phomphem!!"

the is this written rule, that every foreigner, staying in the Kingdom, temporarily should report to the nearest immigration or police-station within 24 hours after arrival.

It is NOT the foreigner's duty to report. It is the owner/ manager of the residence that must do so.

When I was in the village I took my wife to the police station to report my presence in the house, and they had no idea how to process it, so they just wrote it in a big book.

Lived in my house for many years...Couple of years back did an extension...Immigration said to Mrs.Trans you have not been here to tell us your husband lives at your address, she says but he has a Yellow book at my address, they say 800bht fine, and if immigration police came to your house to check stuff it would be a 4000bht fine.....:rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why do you keep on about "the rules" when it isn't a rule? There have been millions of tourists every year and this is the only one that has had a problem. Like I say, there is more to this than we are being told.

IT'S NOT MY JOB TO REPORT MY PRESENCE WHEN I MOVE.

He's not  a Tourist. That's pretty plain. Condo blocks where being checked for people registered as living there. He was registered as living there but quite clearly he wasnt. 

Edited by Ronuk

5 hours ago, Scotwight said:

Or are you assuming the guy is a long term resident?  

It was in Pattaya and the shirt and tattoos is a giveaway . Yes I would say he is not a 2 week tourist .  I think Sherlock would agree with me. 

good to know..... will go to the immigration everything i change my location. 

But am thinking... you cn have a "fix" location" but what happen when you like to travel around the country ...hope they can understand the situation..... not all stay at one place....... thailand is better when you move around...south to north ..West to east........ 

11 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

This silly non-sequitur (along with the excessive ALL CAPS) are often advanced by people who identify with the establishment, for whatever reasons.  "Love it or leave it" are not the only options.  I don't have to like a law or laws and I don't have to leave the country.  Most countries, to one degree or another, have stupid, draconian, burdensome laws which serve no discernible purpose other than to keep a bureaucracy fat and buoyant.  Register an address, fine.  Everyplace has that in the form of an ID or drivers license or whatever.  But report your movements to the gov???  Really??? Think about what that means?  Think about the occasions in history when that has been used to do terrible things to groups of people.  I have lived in LOS for 17 years.  And, yes, Dude, when my cost-benefit-analysis no longer tilts in favor of my staying, I am out of here.  But that does not mean that I have to plaster an idiot grin on my face and keep silent about things I don't care for in the meantime.  Does it?  . . .   Or does it?

9 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Jesus the man was caught living at an address full time which for some reason was not the address he gave to immigration. Maybe an oversight on his behalf. Maybe he moved and forgot to tell immigration and was going to do it with next 90 day report as a lot of people on here say to do.. he got a fine a rap on knuckles no big deal stop making facts up that you don't know or to fit your pathetic  theories.

I had always assumed you just reported a new addy on your next 90 Day Report or on your next exit/re-entry.  Someone just said that is not exactly true.  Anyone know for sure?

7 hours ago, Scotwight said:

This law, I believe, was ANOTHER one that had been on the books for a long time but ignored for the most part.  Last year the gov began making a stink about it and announcing that they were going to enforce it.  It is like a lot of these laws; it started with an idea that sort of sounded good at the time, got passed without anyone ever thinking through the practicality of enforcing it or the untended consequences.  The OP is correct.  I wonder how many Thais have heard of this law or would have any intention of complying even if they had?  Think about it.  You have a someone from another country visiting you in your home country for four days, and you are supposed to run down to the police station or gov office with a form?  Just think about for a minute.  But there is so much "reverse racism" in the falang community toward Thais,  that somehow Thais are "special"  are not capable of conducting themselves up to international norms, and should be excused from baseline standards of thinking and behaving with characterize other developed countries and global markets.

6 minutes ago, rexall said:

This silly non-sequitur (along with the excessive ALL CAPS) are often advanced by people who identify with the establishment, for whatever reasons.  "Love it or leave it" are not the only options.  I don't have to like a law or laws and I don't have to leave the country.  Most countries, to one degree or another, have stupid, draconian, burdensome laws which serve no discernible purpose other than to keep a bureaucracy fat and buoyant.  Register an address, fine.  Everyplace has that in the form of an ID or drivers license or whatever.  But report your movements to the gov???  Really??? Think about what that means?  Think about the occasions in history when that has been used to do terrible things to groups of people.  I have lived in LOS for 17 years.  And, yes, Dude, when my cost-benefit-analysis no longer tilts in favor of my staying, I am out of here.  But that does not mean that I have to plaster an idiot grin on my face and keep silent about things I don't care for in the meantime.  Does it?  . . .   Or does it?

People who churn out that tired nonsense are those self deluded types who think that after donning a nasty third hand silk shirt for their 'Traditional Thai Wedding' and putting on a beano for the local village and maybe once having seen or exchanged a few words with a local bigwig in a cheap restaurant are now vital pillars of Thai society and won't be included in, or affected by, future restrictions issued by Immigration. They are in for a nasty shock or two in the future I think...

I wonder if they will be first in the exit queue when their personal criteria no longer meets that required by Immigration?

On 9/26/2016 at 8:29 AM, realenglish1 said:

This is bad for Thailand to fine someone like this The publicly will hurt tourism if the media decide to play this one

Don't be ridiculous

Update : Arrivals continued to increase in the first and second quarters of 2016. 
9.04 million visitors in the three first months, an increase of 15.45% when compared to 2015. 7.55 million visitors in the second quarter of 2016, an increase of 8.23% when compared with the second quarter of 2015, which indicates a slight loss of momentum of arrivals (15.45% increase in first quarter, compared to 8.23 % increase in the second quarter).

Anyway, if the trend continues, we may see a number of about 32-35 million tourists arriving in 2016.

38 minutes ago, farang95 said:

good to know..... will go to the immigration everything i change my location. 

But am thinking... you cn have a "fix" location" but what happen when you like to travel around the country ...hope they can understand the situation..... not all stay at one place....... thailand is better when you move around...south to north ..West to east........ 

Apparently, technically, no you cannot.  That is what people are making a fuss about.  Although from a practical matter, it is unlikely many people will actually be effected by this. It's a HORRIBLE practice, but admittedly I think it is more stupid than sinister and will blow over in a short time like everything else . . .  until some other unlucky bastard gets caught out for being in the wrong place and the wrong time.

Edited by rexall

10 minutes ago, Merylhighground said:

People who churn out that tired nonsense are those self deluded types who think that after donning a nasty third hand silk shirt for their 'Traditional Thai Wedding' and putting on a beano for the local village and maybe once having seen or exchanged a few words with a local bigwig in a cheap restaurant are now vital pillars of Thai society and won't be included in, or affected by, future restrictions issued by Immigration. They are in for a nasty shock or two in the future I think...

I wonder if they will be first in the exit queue when their personal criteria no longer meets that required by Immigration?

OP,  why would you defend this? Why would anyone defend this?