Nok Air to help govt attract high-end Chinese tourists to Thailand

webfact

Nok Air to help govt attract high-end Chinese tourists to Thailand

ttt.jpg

BANGKOK, 26 September 2016 (NNT) - The Ministry of Tourism and Sports has sought cooperation from Nok Air to promote Thai tourism among Chinese luxury tourists. 

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul met with Nok Air CEO Patee Sarasin to seek cooperation from the airline to boost domestic tourism, after the government handed down policy aimed at attracting Chinese luxury tourists. 

Mrs. Kobkarn noted that Nok Air already operates flights from the Chinese cities of Qingdao, Nanjing, Tianchang, Shenyang and Chongqing, which are considered relatively affluent. 

Nok Air CEO Patee also said the recent crackdown on zero-dollar tour agencies did not affect the airline, claiming that none of its Chinese passengers used such services. The Nok Air executive added that 70 percent of passengers flying with Nok Scoot, the airline's joint venture with Singapore-based Scoot, are Chinese nationals with considerable spending power. 

High end-tour packages will be developed and piloted in Qingdao, before expanding to other Chinese cities. Nok Air is also planning to launch new flights to Kunming, Guangzhou, and three other cities in November from Don Mueang International Airport. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-26

If they are really serious about this, Nok has to upgrade their products.  Domestically, Nok has no business class, and internationally, Nokscoot's business class is more like a premium economy class.  There are luxury Chinese tourists, and they know quality.  I am not sure that Nok has what it takes.

Well for a start first time travelers on mainland China normally start with Thailand or Hong Kong to get there feet wet but the normal people who prefer to travel around Asia prefer S. Korea or Japan, Taiwan, Singapore   ... 

Edited by Nicolas32

1 hour ago, taichiplanet said:

I cannot see how getting a low cost airline will help getting high-end tourists! :blink:

In related news, roadside noodle shops in Chinatown were asked to stock up on Perrier.

Edited by Sphere

I frequently work in China and have educated and affluent friends there. Most of them have visited Thailand - usually first on a group tour and later independently. One of my friends from Nanjing has been to Thailand twice this year already with his family - I would describe him as affluent.

The Nok flights are popular because they are direct. For example from Nanjing you can fly ditect with Nok, via Hong Kong with HK Airlines or via Guangzhou with China Southern. The Nok fare is usually most expensive but its much more convenient. Flights are often sold out months in advance at peak season.

Edited by HauptmannUK

"...The Ministry of Tourism and Sports has sought cooperation from Nok Air to promote Thai tourism among Chinese luxury tourists..."

They may as well try the Chinese " luxury tourists" after the latest aviation safety rankings in the annual survey of the world airlines by AirlineRatings.com:

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/thailand-is-home-to-4-of-the-worst-airlines-for-safety-in-the-world/128383/

The flag of these prospective customers has three more stars on it than Nok Air's current safety ranking!

china_flag.png