Driving a Toyota Prius in Thailand

nickcar

39 minutes ago, KhruGin said:

I'm pretty sure a Toyota Prius is not a "Motorcyle in Thailand"as the forum title goes eh?

Sorry, this user interface is awfull, took some time to figure out how to do a new topic. made worse by my internet being very slow today. 

Battery packs were guaranteed by Toyota for 100k miles if I remember correctly. In the US it's around 4000 bucks to replace battery pack (inc the core refund) Dunno about Thailand.

Gas is cheap here, Prius are heavy, small inside and don't drive that well. Surprised anyone apart from hardened eco-warrior types would want one. Bit of an odd-ball car in Thailand that were a bit of a status symbol when they first arrived but seem to have dropped off the radar now.

Battery is guaranteed for 10 years  I test drove the one I'm planning to buy on Saturday,  it is larger than the earlier ones at 1800cc engine and I found it quite fast. 

I don't expect it to be able to do as well as my 2000Cc Toyota Corona  which I have driven with great pleasure for the last 20 years.  Both my older brother and younger brother are on their second Prius,  One in New Zealand and one in Australia, and they both love it very much.  I was a bit worried about the quality and cost of service here,  but being Toyata they must have a good supply of experts     

6 minutes ago, mike324 said:

Toyota dealers will service it, but they have discontinue the Prius model since last year or the year before. You may experience longer wait times during servicing if your dealer don't stock the parts

They have discontinued assembly in Thailand but they still sell  imported version here. 

8 hours ago, nickcar said:

They have discontinued assembly in Thailand but they still sell  imported version here. 

Have not seen a new Prius in a Toyota showroom for years.  

The model is not shown on the Toyota web site.  

Nick, what makes you think Toyota import new Prius ?

Edited by Jitar

On 9/26/2016 at 7:01 PM, nickcar said:

Battery is guaranteed for 10 years  I test drove the one I'm planning to buy on Saturday,  it is larger than the earlier ones at 1800cc engine and I found it quite fast. 

I don't expect it to be able to do as well as my 2000Cc Toyota Corona  which I have driven with great pleasure for the last 20 years.  Both my older brother and younger brother are on their second Prius,  One in New Zealand and one in Australia, and they both love it very much.  I was a bit worried about the quality and cost of service here,  but being Toyata they must have a good supply of experts     

cars have become very cheap here with the first buyers cars scheme resulting in many getting reposessed. can get a good one for about 300k. why do you want a prius? are they really that cheap to run?

On 9/26/2016 at 4:58 PM, Pdaz said:

Battery packs were guaranteed by Toyota for 100k miles if I remember correctly. In the US it's around 4000 bucks to replace battery pack (inc the core refund) Dunno about Thailand.

Gas is cheap here, Prius are heavy, small inside and don't drive that well. Surprised anyone apart from hardened eco-warrior types would want one. Bit of an odd-ball car in Thailand that were a bit of a status symbol when they first arrived but seem to have dropped off the radar now.

been inside some prius taxis. very comfortable, very quiet. didnt seem small at all. last car i owned was a mitsubishi gto

35 minutes ago, atyclb said:

been inside some prius taxis. very comfortable, very quiet. didnt seem small at all. last car i owned was a mitsubishi gto

I'm 6'3 and no light weight so most small/mid sized 4 door saloons seem small to me.

I prefer 2 door coupes as the doors are usually longer and I don't have to worry about legroom for rear passengers. My current Audi TT has more headroom and width than a Yaris, Civic etc.

I drove a relatives one three weeks ago when we were going out for a meal. Big mistake as my wife drove my EV and reversed it into a post support cable. 

Said ... YES ... I heard the bleep but couldn't see a problem ...

Didn't reckon much to the Prius either ...

i considered a few prius second hand..

1. interior was too plasticy / hollow for me. from doors, to dash and fittings.

2. fabric seats is a big no for me. unless u got leather package?

3. they all seemed to have been repaired form significant accidents...

4. electric batteries are good for first 5 years.. after that you will be relying mostly on the underpowered motor = even higher fuel consumption... not sure about replacement batteries but heard they are pretty damn expensive.

other than that.. easy to service and cheap to fix.

pros and cons :)

if u gonna buy on finance.. for 3-4 years.. i suggest u get something u enjoy driving! :)

safety first.. thailand in general has very dangerous roads.

My calculation for the value of a second hand car is as follows :

Down 30% in the first year 

Down 10% each following year 

This car is 4 1/2 years old and follows the formula quite accurately   

Re safety first I was astonished when told that this car has eight airbags, two big ones upfront and 6 around the rest of the car.  I look forward to investigating where on earth they all are . 

Edited by nickcar
Add

3 hours ago, nickcar said:

Re safety first I was astonished when told that this car has eight airbags, two big ones upfront and 6 around the rest of the car.  I look forward to investigating where on earth they all are . 

Agree with you Nickcar, I did a deep study of second hand pickup trucks mid range 2x4 auto with new price around 830,000 - 890,000 and exactly what you say, down 30% first year, no difference between for example Isuzu, Toyota and Ford, but for the next years it was less, generally between 3 - 5%/year. There is a myth that Isuzu and Toyota keeps the value better than other brands, but not so anymore it seems. If anyone has more info on this would be appreciated.

Edited by AlQaholic

On 9/26/2016 at 4:49 PM, nickcar said:

Sorry, this user interface is awfull, took some time to figure out how to do a new topic. made worse by my internet being very slow today. 

???????? Darn it....now my afternoon is done for trying to figure out what you are both referring to.....can't see it.

5 hours ago, nickcar said:

air bags are great! make sure they aren't on any recall lists first... 

invest in a small obd2 scanner... check if there are any codes hidden on the car computer..

most importantly drive carefully!!! never assume anything on the roads here!!!

countless close accidents.. caused by unexpected motorbikes going against traffic... or public buses (don't get me started!)

enjoy the drive.. :) love travelling outside bkk for short trips.