Here we are:14 months overstay

2 hours ago, Ian1980 said:

I get your point and i agree with you:regarding the subject of my post i don't know yet why he is on 14 month overstay.

Regarding myself,even 3000 baht for me,at that time,was a huge amount,considering that the total bills of the hospital,at the end,was 340.000 thb

Didn't the inurance pay out?

Sure i do:but Catman20,  if you have to face a 340.000 thb bill hospital,did you get it sort it out without any problem?

My situation was almost identical: back in 2010 my hospital bill was 338,000 Baht, and Bupa paid 328,000 Baht. But then I took out insurance once I decided that I wanted to stay here (back in the 1990s). Until then I only bought a reliable travel insurance plan to cover my travels.

that is exactly why people should have a Insurance, because most people (always have exceptions) don't have sufficient funds to pay for a unseen higher hospital bill.

Mostly the people who tell you that they are healthy and they put some money away for this reasons. If you not have at least 1 million or even much more aside for unseen hospital bills you can end up like this.

But even when have to pay 340K, you still should try to do a visa run oder any other things.

Good for me I never had such a problem, so I also don't know what other possible way could be gone (ask Imigration...) ?

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I hear a load of old fellas up in Isaan have long overstays. They don't plan to leave the country, visa costs are too high for them so instead are keeping a low profile

There are plenty of them.Isaan its an easy place to keep a low profile.R.A. is in 21 years overstay,leaves in the country and no problem at all.

2 hours ago, HampiK said:

that is exactly why people should have a Insurance, because most people (always have exceptions) don't have sufficient funds to pay for a unseen higher hospital bill.

Mostly the people who tell you that they are healthy and they put some money away for this reasons. If you not have at least 1 million or even much more aside for unseen hospital bills you can end up like this.

But even when have to pay 340K, you still should try to do a visa run oder any other things.

Good for me I never had such a problem, so I also don't know what other possible way could be gone (ask Imigration...) ?

At that time,my mistake was that i even don't try to get information how to sort it out the visa problem before my visa expire.

• 2 weeks later...

Ian1980, I am sure many would appreciate an update as to whether the ban was in fact levied when your friend exited the country? It seems that such bans have been somewhat discretionary, at least immediately after the new regulations were implemented.

On 9/27/2016 at 4:28 AM, DaveyBond said:

I had a 368 day overstay which I took care of when I left BKK in June 2015. I paid the 20,000 Bht which was stamped into my passport  with overstay, fine etc all noted. I returned to Europe for an extended holiday and work related stay, I decided to return to Thailand on 1st March 2016 and was refused entry at Bangkok Int Immigration ! I was held for 26 hours in IDC at airport and was on the next KLM flight out... Not good situatation to be in, and before all the usual trolls and Internet Detectives start to comment.. Yes I did <deleted> up, but this is my problem which I am dealing with at the moment.

I did post about this a few months ago for reference, but got the usual doubters and Dudley Doo Rights commenting ....    

Did you enter Thailand with the overstay stamped passeport or with a new one?

12 hours ago, gilo said:

Ian1980, I am sure many would appreciate an update as to whether the ban was in fact levied when your friend exited the country? It seems that such bans have been somewhat discretionary, at least immediately after the new regulations were implemented.

He doesn't left yet.

On 9/27/2016 at 3:28 AM, DaveyBond said:

I had a 368 day overstay which I took care of when I left BKK in June 2015. I paid the 20,000 Bht which was stamped into my passport  with overstay, fine etc all noted. I returned to Europe for an extended holiday and work related stay, I decided to return to Thailand on 1st March 2016 and was refused entry at Bangkok Int Immigration ! I was held for 26 hours in IDC at airport and was on the next KLM flight out... Not good situatation to be in, and before all the usual trolls and Internet Detectives start to comment.. Yes I did <deleted> up, but this is my problem which I am dealing with at the moment.

I did post about this a few months ago for reference, but got the usual doubters and Dudley Doo Rights commenting ....    

I am guessing you tried to enter on a Visa Exempt?  Some have come back in with Tourist Visas, even after much longer overstays, if they left before the ban started.

He doesn't left yet.

If you're still in Thailand, you might as well enjoy your remaining time here. But in the meantime you should keep a low profile and avoid getting arrested.

Once you've planned for your new life outside Thailand, prepare 20,000 Baht, patience and humility, and bring them with you to airport immigration.

Should you consider returning to Thailand once your long ban has expired, check first with a Thailand-based lawyer to confirm that your name is not still lingering on a blacklist database but has been removed.

On 9/27/2016 at 2:29 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I hear a load of old fellas up in Isaan have long overstays. They don't plan to leave the country, visa costs are too high for them so instead are keeping a low profile

I think the overstayers in Isaan are not that high. I only knew of one guy and most are on retirement extensions and have either 400k or 800k in the Account.

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I am guessing you tried to enter on a Visa Exempt?  Some have come back in with Tourist Visas, even after much longer overstays, if they left before the ban started.

Actually I came back visa exempt 4 days after clearing a 11 year overstay when the rumours of the ban first started to emerge in August 2014, so would seem at that time to be at the discretion of the i/o, I was however grilled on re-entry. Since the regulations were introduced some seem to have been hit with a ban while others not. Whether this was based on whether there was some additional discretionary period allowed, nationality of overstayer or some other criteria seems unclear, perhaps purposefully so.

I know a chap who is banned from LoS but comes to visit his wife and kid twice a year. 

Flies to Laos takes boat across the river then bingo but keeps very low profile. 

Doesnt do do it now as he finally got visa for W & K to live in U.K.

On 2016-09-27 at 0:42 PM, HampiK said:

Health insurances doesn't always work!
I was in a hit and run so first the insurance company refused to pay the hospital bill as the owner of the motorcycle that hit me should pay but as it was a hit and run... then they refused to pay because I have psoriasis and claimed that as a preexisting condition... Psoriasis as preexisting condition to injuries in a hit and run!?

Health insurances doesn't always work!

I was in a hit and run so first the insurance company refused to pay the hospital bill as the owner of the motorcycle that hit me should pay but as it was a hit and run... then they refused to pay because I have psoriasis and claimed that as a preexisting condition... Psoriasis as preexisting condition to injuries in a hit and run!?

Sounds very strange. Who was the insurance company?

Check the T&Cs but sue them back in your home country

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

It does not sound strange to me. I do not want to suggest the problem is universal, but insurance companies are notorious for trying to avoid paying out on claims, especially large ones. In spite of this, I do recommend people have catastrophic medical insurance. It is fine to self insure for minor medical treatment.

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I had an international health insurance from a Swedish company that I payed over $3,000/year for. After that incident I changed to Bupa Thailand and now I pay about $500/year and have had no problem so far.

Edited by Kasset Tak

It does not sound strange to me. I do not want to suggest the problem is universal, but insurance companies are notorious for trying to avoid paying out on claims, especially large ones. In spite of this, I do recommend people have catastrophic medical insurance. It is fine to self insure for minor medical treatment.

You need to read all the T&Cs and exclusions. But not paying out on insurance due to not declaring Psoriasis is nonsense. I'd look forward to a good court case on this one

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

You need to read all the T&Cs and exclusions. But not paying out on insurance due to not declaring Psoriasis is nonsense. I'd look forward to a good court case on this one

Indeed, as long as you are wealthy, you can nail insurance companies on this kind of c**p, with luck nailing them with punitive damages. Sometimes, just a solicitor's letter is enough to bring the company into line. Unfortunately, many people who have suffered serious accidents and unable to work cannot afford the cost of litigation. That is one major reason some insurance companies try it on.

14 minutes ago, BritTim said:

minor medical treatment usually means outpatient care. That is why it is usually not cost effective to add OP coverage to your policy.