Here we are:14 months overstay

• Avoid any contact with Immigration or face the possibility of arrest, detention, prosecution, fine, deportation and a 10 year ban.
  • The overstayer should leave the country preferably by air. When passing through passport control the IO will see the overstay and the person will be taken to the overstay desk to pay the 20,000 baht fine. A stamp will be put in the passport showing the length of overstay and the fine paid.
  • If, almost certain, immigration decide to ban the person it will be for 3 years. A stamp will be put in the passport and a letter issued confirming the ban.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • Avoid any contact with Immigration or face the possibility of arrest, detention, prosecution, fine, deportation and a 10 year ban.

In case it wasn't clear in elviajero's first point, if for any reason your friend is stopped by the police any time before check-in at the airport -- even on the way to the airport -- there are dire consequences as listed.

If your friend is fortunate enough to avoid police contact before getting to the airport, then the second and third points apply.

I'd highly recommend your friend to high-tail it to the airport for a flight out of Thailand ASAP.  Being detained in Immigrations' lockup is no picnic on the beach.

55 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

In case it wasn't clear in elviajero's first point, if for any reason your friend is stopped by the police any time before check-in at the airport -- even on the way to the airport -- there are dire consequences as listed.

If your friend is fortunate enough to avoid police contact before getting to the airport, then the second and third points apply.

I'd highly recommend your friend to high-tail it to the airport for a flight out of Thailand ASAP.  Being detained in Immigrations' lockup is no picnic on the beach.

If it does go wrong and he ends up in IDC then be prepared to be a friend and go to see him every day with food and a couple of bottles of water. Get a ticket to his home country ASAP. With a ticket in hand it can speed up getting out but when leaving IDC it's usually straight to the airport and on the plane. It may cost a little bit to get a clean set of gear, his shoes/belt will stay outside the cell and may grow legs, and a chance to grab a shower before getting to the airport and you/he will be accompanied during that time.

You will be his only point of contact with the outside world.

• Like 2

Well, you ha ha, I meant to say your friend of course - might not get past the check in desk, they could tell your friend go and chat to immigration in bkk.

I think it was eventually Singapore airlines was where my friend had to fly from on his 2+ year overstay - some other airline he first booked with knocked him back before he was anywhere near being able to pay a 20,000 fine

Edited by nickmanchester2

1 minute ago, catman20 said:

i dont understand why people get any overstay, couple of days a few week ok accidents happen, but 6 months 1/2/3 years i dont get it.

I was in overstay my self 2 months:i posted my experience and the reason:pay the medical bills for my sick son or use that money for a regular visa run.At that time i recived support answer,as well infiammatory answer,such 2/3000 baht is not a huge money to spend for a visa run.

I always believe that,under a long overstay,there is/are good reason/s.

Just now, catman20 said:

i dont want to sound too harsh but if money is that tight for you or anyone else here, maybe you shouldn't be here.

I get your point and i agree with you:regarding the subject of my post i don't know yet why he is on 14 month overstay.

Regarding myself,even 3000 baht for me,at that time,was a huge amount,considering that the total bills of the hospital,at the end,was 340.000 thb

2 minutes ago, Ian1980 said:

I get your point and i agree with you:regarding the subject of my post i don't know yet why he is on 14 month overstay.

Regarding myself,even 3000 baht for me,at that time,was a huge amount,considering that the total bills of the hospital,at the end,was 340.000 thb

i do feel for you but surely as to being a parent should you not way up the fiances before you start a family? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ian1980 said:

I was in overstay my self 2 months:i posted my experience and the reason:pay the medical bills for my sick son or use that money for a regular visa run.At that time i recived support answer,as well infiammatory answer,such 2/3000 baht is not a huge money to spend for a visa run.

" I always believe that,under a long overstay,there is/are good reason/s. "

And usually those who break the law are prepared with 101 "good" excuses.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, catman20 said:

i do feel for you but surely as to being a parent should you not way up the fiances before you start a family? 

Sure i do:but Catman20,  if you have to face a 340.000 thb bill hospital,did you get it sort it out without any problem?

1 minute ago, Ian1980 said:

So this is the difference:there are rich people and normal people.There are people that can get sort out 3 milion bht bill asking help to parents or brother or sister.There are people that no have anyone that can help sort out a 340.000 thb bill....

i do feel for you and i am not trying to be rude so please dont take this the wrong way. i could pay for it myself i have no family to ask, i have enough money put by for these sorts of problems and i also pay for health insurance here for sufficient cover. but again i put to you if you have a family and you have to get into an overstay situation over 340,000 baht bill maybe you should not be here. what will you do when it happens again and im sure it could do if you have a family. anyway i wish you well and good luck for the future.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, catman20 said:

i do feel for you and i am not trying to be rude so please dont take this the wrong way. i could pay for it myself i have no family to ask, i have enough money put by for these sorts of problems and i also pay for health insurance here for sufficient cover. but again i put to you if you have a family and you have to get into an overstay situation over 340,000 baht bill maybe you should not be here. what will you do when it happens again and im sure it could do if you have a family. anyway i wish you well and good luck for the future.

I know Catman:we just share our though.Can i ask how old are you?

2 minutes ago, Ian1980 said:

I pay as well in the same day.Gandalf12 did this affect your finance status?

Not in the least. I always make sure I gave enough to meet anything,  within reason, unforseen that may arise.

Overall I ended up paying over Baht 3,000,000 for my wife's hospital treatment.

Edited by gandalf12

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

i dont understand why people get any overstay, couple of days a few week ok accidents happen, but 6 months 1/2/3 years i dont get it.

Perhaps they have pressing financial issues and eating might take priority over a visa.

1 hour ago, Ian1980 said:

I believe a lot of people are slackers and rorters and are trying to scam the system,but those days are over.

2 hours ago, Ian1980 said:

But wasn't that counter productive when you had to pay 20k baht and a one way ticket back to where you came from.You sourced the money eventually from somewhere.