SD card fail, need to get photos from it.

canuckamuck

Got an SD card from my wife's mobile, quite a lot of pictures on it, but I cannot get them.

When I put it in a card reader it shows all the files, including DCIM but when I open DCIM it just keeps trying to open it for hours.

Tried a couple of versions of software that claimed to be able to get images from the card but they get stuck at around 94%.

What to do? 

if it can be fired up, then, via USB (or wifi etcetc) attempt a full mobile+external memory complete BackUp

The contents might be viewable on the computer, by viewing the BackUp directly, if you have an appropriate Aplication from the Manufacturer

Not all Brands can be accessed this way, but some can...

along the lines of Nokia - where  an NBUExplorer package can do theirs

Samsung has (or had? ) similar in the old Kies world - although of late, their files on a later Mobile can be directly viewed on PC via Explorer

have you? i would say already viewed via Google:    "infinix hot specs backup"

I have lost stuff from Androids before - if I have simply removed an SD:

if I hadn't correctly Un-mounted (Dis-mounted) the card from the mobile.

Edited by tifino

Put the SD card in your own phone first of all.

Then use a USB cable to connect to both the phone and and computer. It'll show up in Windows Explorer as a device like any other. I've got an old Motorola phone which has a lot of pix on it which I wanted to retrieve and that was identified as XT1068.

You might see a question appear on your phone to allow access so just tap "Allow". If you don't see anything at all, double click the device to open it and you should be able to browse to the folder containing your files.

If when you open the device all you see is a blank space drag the menu downwards from the top and you should be able to see a message which says "USB for file transfer". Tap that and you should get window where you'll be able to see an option called "Transfer files (MTP)". Tap that and dismiss the message. Go back to the PC and you should be able to browse the memory card.

If you don't see the "USB file transfer" option (see screenshot) unplug the USB cable from the phone and then plug it in again. Drag the menu downwards again to proceed. I've attached a screenshot of the "Transfer files (MTP)" options as well.

usb_options.jpg

USB_transfer_files-mtb.jpg

So no luck with card in the original phone. Can't see the card on file explorer and the screen of the phone is smashed so no seeing anything there.

I can get all the folders open except for DCIM\camera. And of course that is folder I need.

@ChicogI am really rusty in DOS. I can get the command prompt to show me the directory of DCIM\Camera but I don't know what to do at that point. It has been a decade since I last ventured into DOS type commands.