Weight loss / training

JaiLai

i was 93KG in May, i have trained hard and am now 84kg.

I'm now having problems dropping any more weight, my target is 80kg by the end of the year.

So far it's been running 5k - 7k 5-6 times a week and weights 3-4 times per week with an ok diet.

Any suggestions, more distance / faster speed / another cardio exercise?

Any advise appreciated

Thanks

You made no mention of diet. Are you restricting carbs, fat or calories?

I would suggest a combination of intermittent fasting and adding some HIIT to your workout regimen. Perhaps explore other cardio exercise options too - add some variety.

I don't quite get the obsession with a certain kilogram body weight target. Shouldn't you be more concerned with your fat mass than total mass. Try to work out your body fat percentage. That should be your target, not a kilogram number. A guideline would be visibility of your abs. If you're between 10 - 12% you should be able to see your abs. If you're in a civilized country or visit civilized countries, you could get a DEXA scan or use a Bod Pod to determine your body fat more accurately. 

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm not so strict about my diet, but i do well to stay away from junk, lots of veg and fruit. 

I still need to lose a bit more weight before abs are visible, (i'm 5' 11'' btw). Good point about not having a target weight.

What would you recommend for HIT?

Thanks.

I've recently lost 12kg (100 - 88) without exercise, diet alone starting in June. Yer body re-tunes yer metabolism when you lose weight, see link:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/weight-loss-plateau/art-20044615?pg=2

I've 'plateau-ed' twice already, made an adjustment and kept it goin'...just fiddle with your routine to see what works...

I got diabetes and high BP and read about the visceral fat issue with regard to these conditions, etc...gotta lose about 6 - 7kg more to get to get to the high end of the 'normal weight' range...lookin' to either reduce or eliminate medication altogether...

my daily routine is about to change so I'm gonna start exercising soon...

I'm in similar situation (weight/height wise), and 80kg would be "great".

If you enjoy running, here is what you can do (assuming your existing 5-6 runs are easy runs):

• replace one of your run with a 10KM race in the week-end
  • replace one of your run with a 10-12km run, but slow really slow.

And refocus on fitness rather than weight alone.

I always try and mix up a training regime when I get stuck. Your body gets used to your routine. Instead of jogging try doing wind sprints. Train the white fiber vs the red. With the weights do the same thing. If you do lots of reps with lower weights try the opposite.  Heavier weight less reps.

With the diet. Well, that's where most people blow it.

When your in a gym for awhile you always see the people there that are there for years on end. Yet they have the same physique.  Never change. 

Break the routine.

I like how everyone is saying that your body is getting more economical and used to the training. Recent research shows its true.. but it taks far longer and you are only getting like a 1% more efficient, just imagine if it was more then athletes would be able to increase their performance always.

Problem is more with leptine signaling that your eating less and that your bodyfat is getting less that in turn will lead to leptine giving off signals for your metabolic rate to slow down (this after compensation for weight loss has never been measured to be more then 15%). That amount of slowing down could just make your diet ineffective. What you can do is cycle your diet and eat a lot once a week (but healthy) to keep your body from slowing down.

Still I know all about plateau's have hit them often some are quite hard to go though. 

Further problems could be.. that your gaining a bit muscle (only if you just started working out because gaining muscle while on a caloric restriction only happens if you just start training or are chemically enhanced)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 4:41 AM, NickJ said:

I always try and mix up a training regime when I get stuck. Your body gets used to your routine. Instead of jogging try doing wind sprints. Train the white fiber vs the red. With the weights do the same thing. If you do lots of reps with lower weights try the opposite.  Heavier weight less reps.

With the diet. Well, that's where most people blow it.

When your in a gym for awhile you always see the people there that are there for years on end. Yet they have the same physique.  Never change. 

Break the routine.

I think this is good advice. If I were you I would stick with the running but mix up your runs a bit - something like:

M - 6K easy

T - 6K intervals - fast

W - 5-6K easy

T - 7-8K tempo

F - 5-6K easy

S - Rest

S - 10 -12K slow

This will help you lose weight and make you a better runner !

On 9/27/2016 at 3:30 AM, tutsiwarrior said:

I've recently lost 12kg (100 - 88) without exercise, diet alone starting in June. Yer body re-tunes yer metabolism when you lose weight, see link:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/weight-loss-plateau/art-20044615?pg=2

I've 'plateau-ed' twice already, made an adjustment and kept it goin'...just fiddle with your routine to see what works...

I got diabetes and high BP and read about the visceral fat issue with regard to these conditions, etc...gotta lose about 6 - 7kg more to get to get to the high end of the 'normal weight' range...lookin' to either reduce or eliminate medication altogether...

my daily routine is about to change so I'm gonna start exercising soon...

Out of interest, how do you feel now? I mean both physically and mentally. Have you noticed any changes such as certain aches disappearing, feeling more energetic, generally in a better mood, etc. 

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Out of interest, how do you feel now? I mean both physically and mentally. Have you noticed any changes such as certain aches disappearing, feeling more energetic, generally in a better mood, etc. 

there's quite a bit of difference between then and now...then I was in an unpleasant (but lucrative) living and working situation in saudi and I had a routine and the necessary discipline to endure each day, get the necessary amount of sleep, etc...my spirits were improved by my weight loss progress (and my savings account) and I was generally in good health anyway; BP and BG well controlled, etc

now, I'm at home again and much more relaxed (been partyin' quite a bit) but my physical condition has ironically deteriorated significantly: bad cold, conjunctivitis, and now my feet are starting to swell like they have in the past when I've been here...gonna havta sober up soon...

I haven't checked my weight in 3 weeks and I don't wanna...my diet's gone to shit as I can't find the same items locally that are easily available in saudi ('western' fresh veges, plain yogurt, feta cheese and arabic bread) but I knew that was gonna happen...

and the exercise bike retains it's status as a climbing frame for the kids...

sorry if that's not much help...thanks for your interest...

Thanks for the post...The replies are freakin hilarious.

It's the 80/20 rule. 80% nutrition and 20% exercise NOT the other way around.  Wind sprints, reps, weights, HIIT hahaha all this means nothing unless you get your eating right.  All good stuff when you have a diet to support it. Most don't and flog themselves everyday trying to get it, over train, get injured and can't train then get fatter than ever. I have seen it for decades. You want to be able to maintain your weight when you can't train. Relying on intense training to stay healthy and maintain correct body weight is not the long term solution for anyone. It's always about the food.

As my tag lines says - You can't out train bad nutrition. 

and...a note about dieting...

what worked very effectively for me was to put my own diet together with stuff that was available and with stuff that I liked to eat...fergit them fad diets and etc...for effective weight loss look at a daily calorie intake of 1200 cal per day...

starting out: 'jeezuz I'm hungry'...then shift some stuff around to lessen hunger but to give the same daily calorie count...

then...'this is terrible, I can only shit every 3 days'...I dropped the steamed zucchini and eggplant and substituted broccoli and cauli that had about 10 times the fiber...but I ended up regularly using laxatives in the end anyway...

then, with the daily evening salad with feta...'hmmm, sure would be nice with some arabic bread' and I allowed one medium piece and my quality of life improved tremendously...no additional cals, just cut out the piece daily piece of fruit...

every day for lunch chicken breast marinated in either tandoori or tikka masala with yogurt with heaps of steamed veges sprinkled with soy sauce...plenty of those spices and plain yogurt around in the middle eat but fergit it around here...

and every week I rewarded myself with some nice fresh peaches and feta and arabic bread sandwiches...again, impossible to find where I live in Thailand...

but what matters most (to me anyway) is routine, routine, routine...OK when at work but takes tremendous discipline in other circumstances, I've found...

good luck and bon apetit...

On 10/19/2016 at 0:05 PM, londoedan said:

I think this is good advice. If I were you I would stick with the running but mix up your runs a bit - something like:

M - 6K easy

T - 6K intervals - fast

W - 5-6K easy

T - 7-8K tempo

F - 5-6K easy

S - Rest

S - 10 -12K slow

This will help you lose weight and make you a better runner !

Running 6 days a week. That's brutal. Injuries are sure to follow.

2 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

and...a note about dieting...

what worked very effectively for me was to put my own diet together with stuff that was available and with stuff that I liked to eat...fergit them fad diets and etc...for effective weight loss look at a daily calorie intake of 1200 cal per day...

starting out: 'jeezuz I'm hungry'...then shift some stuff around to lessen hunger but to give the same daily calorie count...

then...'this is terrible, I can only shit every 3 days'...I dropped the steamed zucchini and eggplant and substituted broccoli and cauli that had about 10 times the fiber...but I ended up regularly using laxatives in the end anyway...

then, with the daily evening salad with feta...'hmmm, sure would be nice with some arabic bread' and I allowed one medium piece and my quality of life improved tremendously...no additional cals, just cut out the piece daily piece of fruit...

every day for lunch chicken breast marinated in either tandoori or tikka masala with yogurt with heaps of steamed veges sprinkled with soy sauce...plenty of those spices and plain yogurt around in the middle eat but fergit it around here...

and every week I rewarded myself with some nice fresh peaches and feta and arabic bread sandwiches...again, impossible to find where I live in Thailand...

but what matters most (to me anyway) is routine, routine, routine...OK when at work but takes tremendous discipline in other circumstances, I've found...

good luck and bon apetit...

Yes that is a smart way to do it build your diet around things that are available and that you like (or at least not hate). I never did a fad diet in my life. 

Yes.. if your hungry try something else shift it.. for me eating an apple takes the edge off. That is my snack.. its low caloric and filling.

Also right.. being to strict with a diet will make sure you fail.. because one should actually not diet but change what you eat permanently and if that is too strict it will never work.

Yes routine is key.. (for me too) 

Archived