NCPO would select all 250 senators under EC draft

webfact

NCPO would select all 250 senators under EC draft

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) will select all 250 members of the next Senate, according to a draft law proposed by the Election Commission.

Under the proposed bill, 50 senators will represent 20 occupational groups from all over the country, with 200 others to be selected by the NCPO.

But in the first five years after the new law takes effect, the NCPO will select the 50 occupational representatives from a list of 200 shortlisted candidates.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NCPO-would-select-all-250-senators-under-EC-draft-30296267.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-27

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

" In the first five years after the new law takes effect the NCPO will select ... ! "

Well that says it all about the possibility of elections.

Nice little arrangement in the making, the NCPO selects all the senators who in turn will do everything they're told, vote exactly as required etc.

Let's all join hands and try to contact democracy !

Of course they will select all the real power-holders and power-wielders - and will go on doing so for many, many years to come. That was always the plan and the whole point of the coup. 

The Thai electorate are effectively disenfranchised for a whole generation.

And the Thai people take all this. In my daily dealings with the Thais, I simply do not see the seething fury and rage over what is going on. Perhaps they have been beaten down too many times ...

What can one say?

Edited by Eligius

20 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Of course they will select all the real power-holders and power-wielders - and will go on doing so for many, many years to come. That was always the plan and the whole point of the coup. 

The Thai electorate are effectively disenfranchised for a whole generation.

And the Thai people take all this. In my daily dealings with the Thais, I simply do not see the seething fury and rage over what is going on. Perhaps they have been beaten down too many times ...

What can one say?

Like you I often wonder what goes on with the average Thai, are they genuinely apathetic, which what the elite rely on,  or have the been brainwashed into accepting ' resistance is futile ' ?

I've been disappointed with a couple of well educated people I know who come out with the ' what can we do, we're only little people ' mantra so beaten before they start which makes life easier for those running the show.

The danger for the whole country is a pressure cooker scenario with things building up to such a level that when it blows it really blows ! 

55 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

" In the first five years after the new law takes effect the NCPO will select ... ! "

Well that says it all about the possibility of elections.

Nice little arrangement in the making, the NCPO selects all the senators who in turn will do everything they're told, vote exactly as required etc.

Let's all join hands and try to contact democracy !

Not unlike a few other countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senate_of_Canada

The Senate is modelled after the British House of Lords and consists of 105 members appointed by the Governor General on the advice of the Prime Minister.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

There's a difference though as the House of Lords has limited power and can't really hinder the work of the Commons. It's anachronistic existence is a bone of contention for many.

I understand the Canadian Senate is just a similar talking shop.  Years back I read a book about the Bronfman family and how old Samuel Bronfman was desperate to get into the Canadian senate not realising it wasn't anything like it's namesake over the border in the US.

8 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

There's a difference though as the House of Lords has limited power and can't really hinder the work of the Commons. It's anachronistic existence is a bone of contention for many.

I understand the Canadian Senate is just a similar talking shop.  Years back I read a book about the Bronfman family and how old Samuel Bronfman was desperate to get into the Canadian senate not realising it wasn't anything like it's namesake over the border in the US.

Got ya!  Yes, it's scary they are proposing this.  Sadly, due to the political landscape here, it might be the best of two lousy options!

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Got ya!  Yes, it's scary they are proposing this.  Sadly, due to the political landscape here, it might be the best of two lousy options!

Scary indeed because it all boils down to complete power in the hands of an unelected few and likely to be that way for quite some time to come.

8 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The best option is people choosing their government. This government and the one they push for is a sham.

3 minutes ago, Alive said:

The best option is people choosing their government. This government and the one they push for is a sham.

Sadly, that's been proven not to work.  That last government they voted for was also a sham....and massively corrupt.  Dang if ya do, dang if ya don't.  No easy answers here.

The last had problems for sure but this one is just as abusive and shows cronyism and nepotism without checks and balances. And this one has people detained or  jailed for criticizing it and more. We can't even write the truth here because of this government, Craig.

Just now, Alive said:

The last had problems for sure but this one is just as abusive and shows cronyism and nepotism without checks and balances. And this one has people detained or  jailed for criticizing it and more. We can't even write the truth here because of this government, Craig.

What I see is more action being taken against corrupt government officials than ever before.  Like the mass transfer of park officials from Samet.  It's a national park and they allowed overbuilding just to make money.  The removal of illegal structures is going on all over the country, even right near my home.  Great stuff.  That would have never happened under the old government.  The closure of the zero cost tours.  Raids on gambling dens.  Permanently closing illegal bars.  Just to name a few.

It's far from perfect, and has many problems.  But in the view of some of us, it's better than what was there before.  Neither is good.  And yes, we have to be careful with what we say.

3 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

the NCPO selects all the senators

Not to mention that the members of the NCPO itself will be installed into the Senate and the Senate will have oversight authority of the elected PM to insure the executive branch adheres to the NCPO 5-year plan. As the Senate will be self-pertuating by NCPO-appointed surrogates, it will also insure the executive branch adheres to the Five River's 20-year plan.

In essence the Thai government becomes a one-party system similar to China.

Hold your horses!

horses.jpg

At the risk of seeming to side with the junta and its cronies (heaven forbid), I would like to suggest that before everyone gets too heated up over this, and while it may still be unpalatable to many there is nothing new in what is said in the article.

Section 269 of the laughably-labelled “people’s Constitution” sets out the process of selecting Senators under the so-called “Transitory Provisions”, while Section 107 explains the process five-years hence!

Remember, this was presented to the Thai people at the referendum, AND they voted “overwhelmingly” to accept it (so we've been told)!

well no surprises there then, its the old pals act again,just vote ya mates into more power. corruption rears its ugly head again as i have said before. the populus were told how to vote in the villages by the headsman. wow betide anyone who didnt, and you think this was a secret ballot, come on this is Thailand.

The Thai people voted to accept the draft constitution, as flawed as the referendum was, so now they rightfully get what they deserve, which by any definition is nothing less than an authoritarian government. As much as I dislike this government, I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for the population of Thailand.

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Again the same ridiculous comparison aiming to suggest that it's the same in other countries. No it's not the same in Canada! As you rightly quote the senators are proposed by an elected PM, and practically never refused by the governor. So they are effectively appointed by an elected PM, not by a military Junta that took power by a coup. And the Canadian senate has far less power than in Thailand's new constitution, i.e. they don't elect the PM, they cannot oust a government easily, etc...

10 minutes ago, ldiablo72 said:

The Thai people voted to accept the draft constitution, as flawed as the referendum was, so now they rightfully get what they deserve, which by any definition is nothing less than an authoritarian government. As much as I dislike this government, I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for the population of Thailand.

They voted for this for a reason.  They didn't want to go back to what happened under the previous government.  It's the least "worst" choice.  Sadly...

1 minute ago, candide said:

Again the same ridiculous comparison aiming to suggest that it's the same in other countries. No it's not the same in Canada! As you rightly quote the senators are proposed by an elected PM, and practically never refused by the governor. So they are effectively appointed by an elected PM, not by a military Junta that took power by a coup. And the Canadian senate has far less power than in Thailand's new constitution, i.e. they don't elect the PM, they cannot oust a government easily, etc...

You are aware the next PM (hopefully) will be an elected one????  But yes, there are differences.  The similarity is neither are elected senates.

13 minutes ago, ldiablo72 said:

You seem to forget the fear factor: opponents arrested and qualified as ennemies of the nation, nervous army, officials visiting them in their home, fingerprints put on the voting ballots, the CDC predicting chaos in case of victory of "No" vote, etc...

Add to that: there was no alternative. Had they voted "No", they would have had a constitution written by the Junta for the Junta anyway, and they knew that.

So yes, I feel sorry that they had no opportunity to choose between alternatives (I. e. either the proposed one or keep the old one), according to a fair and democratic process.

9 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

They voted for this for a reason.  They didn't want to go back to what happened under the previous government.  It's the least "worst" choice.  Sadly...

It's difficult to know why they voted for it Craig. Could it be that they just wanted some (any) sort of franchise back?

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Unfortunately since the referendum vote the junta has proposed laws that were never mentioned in the referendum explanations but are ' justified ' by the vote.

Did people really know what they were voting for ?

6 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

It's difficult to know why they voted for it Craig. Could it be that they just wanted some (any) sort of franchise back?

http://thediplomat.com/2016/08/what-does-thailands-referendum-result-mean/

There are already competing interpretations of what the “yes” vote represents. Local media portrayed the result as popular rejection of established political parties and a return to the pre-coup democratic status quo. Regime supporters say the charter’s anti-corruption message had credibility with grassroots voters in view of Prayut’s high-profile anti-crime campaign, where soldiers are seen regularly in media reports busting local mafia and wayward police rackets. While activists have steadily decried the regime’s suppression of liberties, a majority of Thais is willing to sacrifice certain democratic freedoms for stability and unity, the same supporters claimed in explaining Sunday’s “yes” vote.

Good article...

Just now, craigt3365 said:

You are aware the next PM (hopefully) will be an elected one????  But yes, there are differences.  The similarity is neither are elected senates.

You are aware that the next PM who is elected will have no authority to appoint senators for at least five years - and probably the next two elected PM's? And then there's no guarantee that the next PM will even be elected by parliament.

There are other distinctions. The President of the Senate shall be the Vice-President of the National Assembly. In the likelihood that the first Senate is formed before selection of the President of the House of Representatives, the President or Vice-President of the Senate will act as the President of the the National Assembly.

So yes, major differences between Thailand and Canada.

12 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Yes, very good article that did not forget to mention any aspect of this referendum.

Quote from the same article:

"Regardless of voters’ motivation, the credibility of the result is tainted by the junta’s harsh suppression of vote “no” campaigning in the run-up to the vote. Hard curbs on free expression, imposed in a draconian Referendum Act that carried potential 10-year prison sentences for misrepresenting the draft, criticizing its content, or disrupting the vote, resulted in the arrest of at least 120 people, according to Human Rights Watch, a rights group. In June, the United Nations expressed its concerns about the restrictions and later released a follow-up to counter comments apparently made by the Thai foreign ministry to the local press that said the U.N. was not concerned."

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

" a majority of Thais is willing to sacrifice certain democratic freedoms for stability and unity, the same supporters claimed in explaining Sunday’s “yes” vote. "

Except it is not the majority but around 30% of the thais.