Toilet issue

scottyp1980

Hi. 

Just wondering if any one can help me with a flushing toilet issue we have had for probably the last week. It was working fine before last week I should mention. Our toilet won't flush when there is poo in it, when just pee it's fine. We had the septic tanks emptied yesterday and the guy even sucked the toilet just to make sure nothing blocked in toilet pipe. As I said it flushes when only water in bowl, I have tried with buckets of water and water immediately flushes but when any poo in toilet it just fills up and will not go away, then comes the horrible task of plunging the toilet with poo in it!!

i noticed last week that the holes which I believe are to secure the toilet which are concrete I think (please see attached pics) one was missing and water coming out, I don't know if it's always been like this as we only moved in here in June and have not got round to renovating the bathroom as we have just had a baby, but any way the one that missing I put tin foil to plug the hole.

Any one have any ideas?

As u can tell I don't have any clue about this so if any one has got any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks 

scott

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have a similar problem with both toilets in my house.  They were both installed 17 years ago.  The local water supply here is very high in mineral content.  I went through the same thing that you are going through with pumping the septic tank frequently and I finally realized that the flush ring in the base of the toilet was so clogged with mineral deposits from the water that the toilet really wasn't "flushing".  When it flushed, the water would run very slowly into the bowl with not enough force to fill the toilet rapidly and "flush" the poop out.  Flushing it with a bucket works every time.  I tried with no success to clean out the ring but access is impossible and I guess that if I could somehow fill the ring with acid it would dissolve the buildup.

The only solutions were to replace the toilets or continue to flush with a bucket.  I chose the latter and bought two small buckets and fill them with the butt washer while sitting on the pot!!! Been doing it for over four years.

Good luck!

The flushing mechanism, the plastic unit that controls inbound water flow etc is blocked, as are the water transfer holes between the tank and the bowl, ergo, not enough water flow to evacuate the bowl of solids. Removal of solids from the bowl relies on having an adequate force of water flowing from the tank into the bowl, if the flow holes are (partially) blocked that doesn't happen.

As said above, you need to dissolve the limescale build up, a bottle of white vinegar will work as will a couple of cans of coke (really) - bleach will NOT dissolve it. Leave overnight then flush. Repeat as many times a necessary. Oh, and you may or may not have to replace the plastic flush unit inside the tank if it's blocked.

The vinegar and coke might help to clean up the mechanism in the tank, but it won't do much good in the flush ring as the water does not remain there when you flush, it slowly trickles out into the toilet bowl.  As said, I've been there and done that including trying to clean the holes standing on my head with a mirror and drill bit.  If that is the problem, the best thing to do is replace the toilet or continue to flush with a bucket as I do!

If you have water around the base then you need to remove the toilet to replace the seal connecting the toilet to the sewage pipe anyway. The seal can be bought for about 500 baht either rubber or wax type from some hardware stores (not all) Boonthavorn stocks them both

When the toilet is out you can clean the lines with caustic soda crystals (very aggresive chemical) make sure you wear good gloves and a face shield as its pretty nasty

What seal connecting sewage pipe?  :sleep:  Suspect 98% of toilets installed in Thailand do not have any such seal but work fine without - the toilet base is cemented to floor.  In point of fact such seals have only become available recently and most are just discarded rather than actually used when supplied.  If going to bother to remove toilet would strongly consider replacement of toilet as they are not that expensive for something you use multi times every day.  

Just now, lopburi3 said:

What seal connecting sewage pipe?  :sleep:  Suspect 98% of toilets installed in Thailand do not have any such seal but work fine without - the toilet base is cemented to floor.  In point of fact such seals have only become available recently and most are just discarded rather than actually used when supplied.  If going to bother to remove toilet would strongly consider replacement of toilet as they are not that expensive for something you use multi times every day.  

The very same that you mentioned in your own post...Which could be why they leak so often :saai: Use the seal...... it's called progression :coffee1:

Yes I know what such a seal is but highly doubt the posted toilet has such a seal as it obviously is not held down by bolts to compress it.  The fact is most western style toilets here have worked for decades without such seals here - which is better than my memories of reliability in USA - so not about to call it progression.  In our western vinyl over wood floors it makes sense - not such much so here.  

if your toilet hasn't shifted from it's original position - and you would see that clearly - and no smelly water oozes out from underneath onto the floor there is no reason to believe that the original connection to the waste pipe is disconnected.

do you have kids? my first thought was a mechanical obstruction, i.e. a toy or even a piece of your bum - shower. not fully blocking the s-bend but to much to allow no.2 go past. no amount of flushing or back - flushing will dislodge that once it's wedged in.

find a plumber with one of those cameras on a flexi pipe, that will sort it.

Try this....check how much water is in the tank when ready to flush....It might not be enough to do the job.

Reset the float higher so you nearly fill the tank, to get enough water flowing to carry everything through....You need a gusher when flushing.

14 hours ago, chiang mai said:

The flushing mechanism, the plastic unit that controls inbound water flow etc is blocked, as are the water transfer holes between the tank and the bowl, ergo, not enough water flow to evacuate the bowl of solids. Removal of solids from the bowl relies on having an adequate force of water flowing from the tank into the bowl, if the flow holes are (partially) blocked that doesn't happen.

As said above, you need to dissolve the limescale build up, a bottle of white vinegar will work as will a couple of cans of coke (really) - bleach will NOT dissolve it. Leave overnight then flush. Repeat as many times a necessary. Oh, and you may or may not have to replace the plastic flush unit inside the tank if it's blocked.

Vixol white bathroom cleaner, to be found in BigC, contains 15%Hydrochloric acid. That shifts most stuff.

The OP says that it flushes fine with a bucket of water but not with the handle on the tank.  There is absolutely nothing in the tank other than the rubber valve in the bottom that would impede water flowing at a good rate into the flush ring in the bottom outside of the toilet.  If that is clogged then the water will not flow at the rate necessary to clean the poop out of the bowl.  It will flow slowly through the restricted holes  and not evacuate the poop from the toilet.  Putting anything in the tank will not solve this problem.  I have two toilets that have this same problem and have tried everything other than removing the toilet and submerging the whole thing in a barrel of caustic liquid.  Mine flush with a bucket of water so that's how they will flush until  I can find my "AROUND TO IT" and get up the energy to replace them.  It's really not a high priority as American football season, both college and golf, has started and True has brought back EPL telecasts when I get bored and if that's not a good enough excuse I can think of many others.

On September 28, 2016 at 5:28 AM, wayned said:

I have a similar problem with both toilets in my house.  They were both installed 17 years ago.  The local water supply here is very high in mineral content.  I went through the same thing that you are going through with pumping the septic tank frequently and I finally realized that the flush ring in the base of the toilet was so clogged with mineral deposits from the water that the toilet really wasn't "flushing".  When it flushed, the water would run very slowly into the bowl with not enough force to fill the toilet rapidly and "flush" the poop out.  Flushing it with a bucket works every time.  I tried with no success to clean out the ring but access is impossible and I guess that if I could somehow fill the ring with acid it would dissolve the buildup.

The only solutions were to replace the toilets or continue to flush with a bucket.  I chose the latter and bought two small buckets and fill them with the butt washer while sitting on the pot!!! Been doing it for over four years.

Good luck!

Hi 

thanks for your reply. 

Even with poo in toilet and we use bucket it doesn't empty, ok with only water / pee not a problem with flush and buckets no matter how big the bucket may be!!

even when using bum gun and having a poo it fills up which in my experiences it should more or less empty the bowl doing this way!

but thanks for your input. 

Ursterdsy we we bought a new plunger and before we go for poo we plunge the toilet and it clears most of the poo. But not all. But as you mentioned possibly new toilet is required, 1 thing after another here in Thai haha!!

thanks mate. 

Scott

On September 28, 2016 at 5:50 AM, chiang mai said:

Hi

so do you mean the tank that fills up with water??

It flushes ok with only water as mentioned.

Where do I put the vinegar and coke? I have attached pic!

do I put it in hete??

And where is this plastic bowl?

I have also attached a pic

cheers 

scott

image.jpg

image.jpg

22 hours ago, wayned said:

The vinegar and coke might help to clean up the mechanism in the tank, but it won't do much good in the flush ring as the water does not remain there when you flush, it slowly trickles out into the toilet bowl.  As said, I've been there and done that including trying to clean the holes standing on my head with a mirror and drill bit.  If that is the problem, the best thing to do is replace the toilet or continue to flush with a bucket as I do!

Thanks for reply but even with the bucket it won't get rid off the poo only the water!!

Hard to be sure but dirt seems to indicate water level is far too low - it should top out just below overflow pipe on right side - you adjust with the float on left side to stop water inflow at that point. You are using the back button on cover to flush?

Thanks for all the replies so far. I will respond to all messages I due time. 

5 hours ago, wayned said:

The OP says that it flushes fine with a bucket of water but not with the handle on the tank.  There is absolutely nothing in the tank other than the rubber valve in the bottom that would impede water flowing at a good rate into the flush ring in the bottom outside of the toilet.  If that is clogged then the water will not flow at the rate necessary to clean the poop out of the bowl.  It will flow slowly through the restricted holes  and not evacuate the poop from the toilet.  Putting anything in the tank will not solve this problem.  I have two toilets that have this same problem and have tried everything other than removing the toilet and submerging the whole thing in a barrel of caustic liquid.  Mine flush with a bucket of water so that's how they will flush until  I can find my "AROUND TO IT" and get up the energy to replace them.  It's really not a high priority as American football season, both college and golf, has started and True has brought back EPL telecasts when I get bored and if that's not a good enough excuse I can think of many others.

Hi

thanks for the reply. 

It flushes fine with the handle and also with bucket of water but only when pee inside the bowl. But when poo it doesn't clear either with big bucket of water or with the flush handle. 

It worked ok yesterday after we plunged before we had a poo but now the same again. The water tank fills no problem but I'm confused. !!

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Hard to be sure but dirt seems to indicate water level is far too low - it should top out just below overflow pipe on right side - you adjust with the float on left side to stop water inflow at that point. You are using the back button on cover to flush?

Hi I took this pic when water was low but please see attached pic. 

Its just below the water line on the pipe you mentioned. And what uou mean  adjust with float on left side. As u can see I'm no expert at this haha! I also found this inside the tank and can not figure out where it comes from!!image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OK just a bit below water line in that case - some units top out close to the top of the overflow pipe.  Not working with a pail of water dumped into it kind of indicates blockage issue rather than water flow.

That nut may be to hold the top cover chrome flush button control?  Could have come off and not notice as long as you do not turn lid over.  

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Hi I took this pic when water was low but please see attached pic. 

Its just below the water line on the pipe you mentioned. And what uou mean  adjust with float on left side. As u can see I'm no expert at this haha! I also found this inside the tank and can not figure out where it comes from!!image.jpg

48 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

OK just a bit below water line in that case - some units top out close to the top of the overflow pipe.  Not working with a pail of water dumped into it kind of indicates blockage issue rather than water flow.

That nut may be to hold the top cover chrome flush button control?  Could have come off and not notice as long as you do not turn lid over.  

It just empires with s bucket of water no problem when only water in bowl but no poo in bowl!!

Scotty,

looking at the photo of the tank, I wouldnt take any notice of the marked water level, and just reset the float up so the water level is just below the top a of the pipe marked....if that doesnt work, grab a high pressure hose and stick it in the elbow for a while...

I'm no plumber, but I reckon that marked water line is for when connected to a sewage system, not a septic one.....

8 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

It just empires with s bucket of water no problem when only water in bowl but no poo in bowl!!

50 minutes ago, weegee said:

Scotty,

looking at the photo of the tank, I wouldnt take any notice of the marked water level, and just reset the float up so the water level is just below the top a of the pipe marked....if that doesnt work, grab a high pressure hose and stick it in the elbow for a while...

I'm no plumber, but I reckon that marked water line is for when connected to a sewage system, not a septic one.....

50 minutes ago, weegee said:

Scotty,

What do you mean reset the float up so the water level is just below the top of the pink marked?

sorrry I have no clue what you are on about!!

Can you explain?

The top of that pipe with water level indicator on it is the overflow (runs into bowl) so if you want more water you can fill to just below that by adjusting the float system.  Not sure how your system works as there is not a chain to pull up flap on my system using push buttons (that is normally a handle flush method).  This is the correct internal works for this toilet?

So this discussion has been going on for two pages now with no real conclusion. The OP does not seem to know how a toilet operates. Please use our friend Mr Google as there are many sites providing help with the understanding of how a toilet works and suggestions on how to fix the various problems. 

The toilet is either not emptying the tank completely when the handle is pulled and/or the flapper has an issue staying open long enough to empty the tank for a full flush which creates enough flow to cause the bowl to empty when full of "poo". Or the S bend has some partial blockage that won't allow a proper flush. The only resolution I see is to remove the toilet and check the drain hole and the toilet S bend to be 100% sure there is no blockage. The toilet has worked for years. Cannot be that difficult a problem to fix. The OP does not have the expertise to remove a Thai toilet and re-install again. Strongly suggest getting a Thai "plumber"