Toilet issue

scottyp1980

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The top of that pipe with water level indicator on it is the overflow (runs into bowl) so if you want more water you can fill to just below that by adjusting the float system.  Not sure how your system works as there is not a chain to pull up flap on my system using push buttons (that is normally a handle flush method).  This is the correct internal works for this toilet?

It been working fine for months then last week or so it's blocked. 

Now this morning can't even get rid of only water. We got the toilet unblocker stuff, when we put it in toilet loads of dirt / poo appeared then disappeared. Went to flush toilet this morning and blocked again!! I don't know!!

1 hour ago, longball53098 said:

So this discussion has been going on for two pages now with no real conclusion. The OP does not seem to know how a toilet operates. Please use our friend Mr Google as there are many sites providing help with the understanding of how a toilet works and suggestions on how to fix the various problems. 

The toilet is either not emptying the tank completely when the handle is pulled and/or the flapper has an issue staying open long enough to empty the tank for a full flush which creates enough flow to cause the bowl to empty when full of "poo". Or the S bend has some partial blockage that won't allow a proper flush. The only resolution I see is to remove the toilet and check the drain hole and the toilet S bend to be 100% sure there is no blockage. The toilet has worked for years. Cannot be that difficult a problem to fix. The OP does not have the expertise to remove a Thai toilet and re-install again. Strongly suggest getting a Thai "plumber"

Thanks for your reply, and yes your right I have no idea haha!!

i have opened the top of the toilet where the water releases and for sure it all empties. I will look in Google thanks. And probably remove the toilet. I've been looking for a plumber but we stay in a small town and nobody seems to no one haha. 

Anyway thanks for your input.

im scared to go for a poo at the moment cos I know what I have to do afterwards.... Plunging 5555

scott

This is the rainy season and perhaps your septic tank is full of water?  That could explain why it is just happening now (and storms are dumping heavy water and ground can not adsorb more.  Is there any indication of high ground water where you live?  Remember septic tank is below ground level so it can be full of water well before any local flooding.  If you live on a building plot with drains around home and water in them you might need to pump out to lower the ground water level in your plot.  

8 hours ago, Nuitum said:

Try empty septic tank and tell the guys suck also through toilet bowl

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi, tried all this, had septic tank guys back yesterday for 2nd time still the same. 

Had a Thai plumber made some sort of contraction, seemed to work until this morning poo, most of it flushed using the bucket not the button but still one floater there!!!

a member on here has told me to contact the toilet maker and he believes they will send a professional out to look at it. 

Cheers

Is there a vent pipe for this toilet?  If water level got high at some point it could have become blocked with poo and dried out so not venting from toilet pipe so will not get a good flush action (water will just seep out).  Often Thai install without even providing such a vent but if working OK before there probably is one - look for a water type pipe going vertical inside or outside of toilet area (they often end in attic area here if inside) - this could be cleaned with air or water pressure (but if septic tank open be aware it can splash as exits).   Here most vents will only be 1/2 or 3/4" water pipe so easy to get blocked.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by lopburi3

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Is there a vent pipe for this toilet?  If water level got high at some point it could have become blocked with poo and dried out so not venting from toilet pipe so will not get a good flush action (water will just seep out).  Often Thai install without even providing such a vent but if working OK before there probably is one - look for a water type pipe going vertical inside or outside of toilet area (they often end in attic area here if inside) - this could be cleaned with air or water pressure (but if septic tank open be aware it can splash as exits).   Here most vents will only be 1/2 or 3/4" water pipe so easy to get blocked.

hqdefault.jpg

No I don't believe there is a vent in the toilet, the plumber was explaining this to my girlfriend yesterday, so when we renovate bathroom this is a must. 

Thsnks

Thanks for every ones input on my toilet issue, I would just like to inform everyone who commented that my toilet seems to be working as it was before the problem.

i can only think like some one mentioned on this topic it could be due to the large storms we had 2 days last week and this was somehow affecting our toilet, but like I said I'm no expert!!

It's now flushing as it should using the button and everything is gone within few seconds as it should. 

We did have a Thai guy plumber come to have have a look and he put these tubes either side of toilet ( see attached pics), I don't think this is the reason it's working again as it wasn't until this morning we actually noticed it was working perfect again and we've had no heavy rain for about 4 -5 days now. 

But thanks for everyone's info / help, we are still going to ask a professional from karat outlet that some one suggested in a PM just to make 100% sure problem / solution if it happens again. 

Scott

image.jpg

The tubes are nothing more than vents to the drain pipe. Looks like back several days ago someone said your vent was not working . If this truly fixed the flush issue great but I would bet you will be getting a nasty sewer gas smell now. Happy flushing!

As said if those tubes are actually acting as vents there will be odor involved - you could just run a length to outside through a hole in wall?  Probably be better to install an actual vent pipe from rear of toilet drain however if easy to get outside.  Only takes them a few minutes and dig out a trench in floor and install pipe.  Removing toilet/reinstalling is also only a few minute job for those that know how.  

• 2 months later...

Another toilet problem.

The toilet in my main bathroom has started to leak water from underneath its base.  Seems to be sealed to the tile floor with some sort of white compound - maybe silicon or acrylic - and water is visibly seeping from this seal.  The toilet bowl has not been disturbed in any way, as far as I am aware, and seems to be firmly attached to the floor.

I wondered if this might be indicative of the septic tank being full and the waste pipe backing up.  However, the flush works normally and the seepage seems to be just water so maybe this isn't the case.

Any thoughts before I get the little man in to either empty the septic tank or remove the toilet bowl?

The tank hasn't been emptied for at least twelve years, by the way, but we've never had any problems before.

Any input gratefully received.

Thanks.  The toilet is about due for renewal anyway so I might well do that.

What I don't really understand is that water continues to seep out even after the toilet has not been flushed for some time. It's almost as though there is water trapped within the base and this is providing a pressure head that continues to force water past the seal.  It's not a big seepage but is enough to make a bit of a mess within 30 minutes or so.  

Expect there is indeed water trapped inside as most are not sealed to outlet pipe and just empty to space under toilet as well as into the pipe itself.  It is only recently that sealing kits even became common and most still just discard them as they do not screw down toilet - just cement it in.  The water is probably seeping through just was rain water will come through a wall if not protected by paint - they most likely did not pay for waterproof cement to install the toilet.  At any rate removing should provide the answer and if time for an upgrade a good time to do it.    

On 9/29/2016 at 6:29 AM, scottyp1980 said:

Hi 

thanks for your reply. 

Even with poo in toilet and we use bucket it doesn't empty, ok with only water / pee not a problem with flush and buckets no matter how big the bucket may be!!

even when using bum gun and having a poo it fills up which in my experiences it should more or less empty the bowl doing this way!

but thanks for your input. 

Ursterdsy we we bought a new plunger and before we go for poo we plunge the toilet and it clears most of the poo. But not all. But as you mentioned possibly new toilet is required, 1 thing after another here in Thai haha!!

thanks mate. 

Scott

Thai toilet manufacturers  need a  kick up the arse, although toilets  drain into 4  inch  pipes the actual exit  hole from the pan is often VERY VERY small 2  inches or less, Uk Bogs have almost 4 inches, design is part of the problem imo

10 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Expect there is indeed water trapped inside as most are not sealed to outlet pipe and just empty to space under toilet as well as into the pipe itself.  It is only recently that sealing kits even became common and most still just discard them as they do not screw down toilet - just cement it in.  The water is probably seeping through just was rain water will come through a wall if not protected by paint - they most likely did not pay for waterproof cement to install the toilet.  At any rate removing should provide the answer and if time for an upgrade a good time to do it.    

Thanks for the reply.

Looks as though removing the pan to see what's going on is the way to go.  I'll probably replace the thing anyway as it is pretty manky.  It wasn't in too good a state even when we moved into the house 12 years ago and was suffering from scale problems back then.  Apparently not lime scale though as HCl doesn't touch it.  The only way to remove it seems to be mechanically, using a pumice stone.

We were on the village water supply back then - loads of sediment and who knows what in there.  Now on the PWA supply, which does seem much cleaner - but far too late for the current ceramic ware I'm afraid!

Another factor might be use of Scotch-Brite cleaning pads type brush which was quite common here and indeed results in much scratching of china.  Best to just use normal plastic brush and if needed chemicals (although as little as possible).  

Believe chisel between base and tile is the way they remove - would pay someone as they know how to do without making a mess they can not clean up.  Not expensive and normally do not even damage old toilet or floor.  I would just buy a new model you like and have them install - that will include removal.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Another factor might be use of Scotch-Brite cleaning pads type brush which was quite common here and indeed results in much scratching of china.  Best to just use normal plastic brush and if needed chemicals (although as little as possible).  

Believe chisel between base and tile is the way they remove - would pay someone as they know how to do without making a mess they can not clean up.  Not expensive and normally do not even damage old toilet or floor.  I would just buy a new model you like and have them install - that will include removal.

I don't think that scratching the glaze has been a factor here - haven't tried aggressive cleaning for some time now.  The pumice that I did use is a soft rock - won't damage the glaze but will remove the scale.  Hard work though.

I'm not going to attempt to remove the pan myself - would be sure to mess it up.  I'm afraid that my skill set doesn't extend to major plumbing jobs.  I can deal with the blue water pipes but that's about my limit.

I've had a few American Standard toilets installed in 2008 and a few Cotto Toilets installed in 2016. In Buriram Province and other Isaan provinces it is possible to have manufacturer installation teams on the higher end real name brand toilets. Kohler, Cotto, Toto toilets might be a worthwhile toilet for the OP to consider. There are native English speakers who also install water filters, water pumps, taps, water tanks, toilets and urinals in Buriram Province.  I have met expats in Buriram and Surin who are active in plumbing activities. I have also met several expats who do electrical installations in Buriram and Surin Province. Maybe not at the labor rate of a typical off the street Thai tradesman, but worth considering for some home building in Isaan in my experience. 

Buriram Surin Plumber who installs water filters pumps toilets.jpg