Electricity prices

kingalfred

I first visited Thailand in 2005 and it was common practice then as it is now. It mainly happens if you rent cheap studio rooms in apartment blocks. If you rent a home or a nicer condo, you just get the bill from the electric company. I remember the first place I rented was a 35m2 studio room for 1,800/month. I had to pay every month in an office on the ground floor, and they overcharged for electricity. After that, I rented a small home for 4,000baht/month and just got the standard bill in the owner's name to pay in 7-Eleven.

I don't know whether there is such a law to prohibit this, I doubt it. Technically, prostitution is illegal here as well, but you'd never know. 

4 hours ago, kingalfred said:

Is it because there's no law against doing so?

Yes. Some charge extra, some dont. A few get charged the higher business rate themselves and just pass it on.

Whilst there is no law about it, any higher price per unit asked for is entirely negotiable. So negotiate!

3 hours ago, jadee said:

I first visited Thailand in 2005 and it was common practice then as it is now. It mainly happens if you rent cheap studio rooms in apartment blocks. If you rent a home or a nicer condo, you just get the bill from the electric company. I remember the first place I rented was a 35m2 studio room for 1,800/month. I had to pay every month in an office on the ground floor, and they overcharged for electricity. After that, I rented a small home for 4,000baht/month and just got the standard bill in the owner's name to pay in 7-Eleven.

I don't know whether there is such a law to prohibit this, I doubt it. Technically, prostitution is illegal here as well, but you'd never know. 

Not always the case, Floral Condo's add a surcharge as does Rimping and Hillside.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Never stayed in a rented Condos/apartment does the occupier get say headed bill with units used. ?  

Yes, it shows cost per unit and units used, the notepaper heading is that of the condo, not PEA. In the case of Floral Condo's there is a single billing meter hence the rate that it is charged is that of a factory, internal (non-PEA) sub meters allow for cost distribution.

Stayed in condo in pattaya after first electric bill came I rang the owner and told him if the electric was not charged to me at PEA price he could kiss his Tennant (me good bye) I had paid only the first months rent. So would not be losing any deposit. He agreed and next bill was direct from PEA his name on it but half the price per unit. Stayed for 18 months there sad to leave in the end lovley place Naklua lupini ville condo building B.