AEDs to be installed at public phone booths to help sudden cardiac arrest patients

snoop1130

AEDs to be installed at public phone booths to help sudden cardiac arrest patients

139_AED-wpcf_728x409.jpg

The National Institute for Emergency Medicines in cooperation with TOT public Company plan to install automated external defibrillator (AED) at public telephone booths to help people suffering from sudden cardiac arrest (SCA).

Dr Anucha Sethsathien, secretary-general of NIEM, said Wednesday that more than 10,000 people died of SCA each year in Thailand which is as high as death toll from road accidents.

Basic first aid such as CPR coupled with AED can help increase the chance of survival of SCA cases by 47 percent, said the doctor.

AEDs have already been installed at heavily-populated junctions such as railway stations, airports, bus terminals, shopping malls and schools by the NIEM, but they are still not enough, especially in rural areas.

Mr Sommai Suksumek, asstant manging director of TOT Public Company, said AEDs would be gradually installed at 300 public phone booths throughout the country.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/aeds-installed-public-phone-booths-help-sudden-cardiac-arrest-patients/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-28

5 hours ago, faraday said:

That's right you miserable lot.

Something is done to augment Heart Attacks, & all most of you do is deride it. Prats!

"Spend your time on things money can't buy" and allow some of us with experience in similar matters to use the head on our shoulders thinking of things that a doctor in a perfect world might not think of there prat! 

52 minutes ago, silent said:

"Spend your time on things money can't buy" and allow some of us with experience in similar matters to use the head on our shoulders thinking of things that a doctor in a perfect world might not think of there prat! 

I have extensive professional experience in pre hospital defibrillation.

Having been responsible for the placement of AEDs in public areas, & also used them in the OR, I am very well qualified to comment.

8 hours ago, faraday said:

That's right you miserable lot.

Something is done to augment Heart Attacks, & all most of you do is deride it. Prats!

Really, how many Thai people know how to use one?

How many westerners come to that?

If they were placed in logical locations, such as 7/11s etc and the people there were trained to use them (not difficult) it might make sense. Phone booths (practically non existent) don't.

And we are prats, yeah right.

4 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

Really, how many Thai people know how to use one?

How many westerners come to that?

If they were placed in logical locations, such as 7/11s etc and the people there were trained to use them (not difficult) it might make sense. Phone booths (practically non existent) don't.

And we are prats, yeah right.

Not seen the defibs in Central?

There has been a huge training & education in the use of aeds in the west over the last 20 years.

Aeds are quite straightforward to use. That is the point of them.

Try to keep up, ok.

9 hours ago, faraday said:

Having been responsible for the placement of AEDs in public areas, & also used them in the OR, I am very well qualified to comment.

Is that supposed to change my opinion?

2 hours ago, faraday said:

Not seen the defibs in Central?

There has been a huge training & education in the use of aeds in the west over the last 20 years.

Aeds are quite straightforward to use. That is the point of them.

Try to keep up, ok.

Don't be condescending, with the try to keep up bs. You were the one calling people prats.

I train people to use them here. 

We are not in the west. I also stated they are not difficult to use in my reply. 

My point was training here is minimal to say the least. Not only that the use of practically no phone boxes makes the report a joke. 7/11s would be far more sense. 

3 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

My point was training here is minimal to say the least. Not only that the use of practically no phone boxes makes the report a joke. 7/11s would be far more sense. 

I think that most of the public phones which are still in operation are outside convenience stores.

9 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

Don't be condescending, with the try to keep up bs. You were the one calling people prats.

I train people to use them here. 

We are not in the west. I also stated they are not difficult to use in my reply. 

You said in post#21 'how many westerners. ....etc.

I used the word 'prat' because way too many threads seem to denigrate Thai people, rather than be constructive criticism.

If, as you say training here is minimal, why don't you do something about it?

Which defibs are used most widely here?

Yes, I agree the phone box idea is not thought through correctly.

@faraday, you are completely missing the point about the criticism. First, telephone booths are falling into disrepair rapidly. To suggest they be used smacks yet again of someone not doing their homework (or krieng jai - let's not criticize). Then it was said 300 booths - that barely makes a dent in one province let alone the whole country.

Then there is always the shadow of impropriety that lingers when such an absurd and improperly thought out proposal is made out of the blue, without any reference to any research or discussion. We all know how often that happens, hence the cynicism.

21 hours ago, faraday said:

Then you are the man that they need. 

Yes, in theory it is a great idea and life saver. In practice as pointed out there are several problems. The main one being to stop it walking. The other being the patient dies anyway and you may very well be accused of assisting. 

Having said that if my heart stopped or AF or VF started I'd like someone to stick an AED on me I think. 

Edited by JAS21