Khon Kaen airport parking now for a fee

KhunBENQ

After reading somewhere else I made a little sidetrip to the airport today.

Everyone who was at KKC in recent months might have noticed the terrible chaos on the car park.

Overcrowded, double, triple parking anytime of day.

How a little fee can do wonders.

Erect gates and request 15 Baht/hour.

Result see first picture from 10:15h.

Not seen for a long time.

The lowest deck is almost empty.

The first 15 min are free, following hours 15 Baht, up to 12h = 180 Baht for one day.

I assume (but don't know that overnight parking is accepted?

Also the chaotic triple parking of vans, hotel buses etc. at the departure driveway has been cleaned up.

Of course outside the controlled areas ("wild parking" on the green etc.) all jam packed.

Obviously most of the parked cars so far were staff related and not related to passengers.

20160928_101637.jpg

20160928_101518.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

Hi All,

Briefly the wife and I live in the Nongbuodaeng area of Chaiyaphum Province.

Come 16th November we're flying from K. Kaen to Bangkok, returning on the 20th.

The plan come the 16th  was to take the car, leaving it at K K A/port, and drive home come the 20th.

Do any  K Kaen ex-pats know if it is possible to leave the car at the a/port car park for 5 days? The cost does not bother me.

If it's not possible, does anyone know of a safe, secure parking area near to the airport?

Cheers and Thanks. 

Right this is what the lady in booth said

180 bht for 12 hours. Car park is shut over night but if you car is in there no problem but you can't get it out until the next day and there is no security in the car park over night. (I have left mine there for 6 days before barriers went up no problem with damage or thiefs). So that was her take on it seems yes you can at 180 (12hrs) I could not get out of her if you would be charged 180 for night as well ie 360 for day. I would still ask again when you get there.

• 6 months later...

April 2017 update (for future searchees).

The paid parking at the terminal is super-convenient (access it by taking the up ramp when you get to the split for departures and arrivals - though I suspect there is access for both up and down).

150 baht is for 24 hours. Maybe no security, but that would only worry me with a newer more expensive car than my 8 year old Fortuner! I have no problems leaving my car on streets overnight in Thailand (within reason of course).

Unlikely to be an issue for most, but if you have a roofbox on an SUV like me (about 2.3 metres) then do not go down to the two lower floors - I scraped the box-top (not critically) going out on the bottom floor and the booth lady told me to stick to the top floors. I had had no problems with those floors height-wide but they were full and taking parking in handbrake/translock-off mode only. Parking seems to be more easily available on the bottom two floors.

I could not find zlodnick's parking alternative at all (searched fully in that area the previous day on a recce). There is however a covered parking area only a couple of hundred meters down the long straight airport road when you come off the Loei highway. Looked quite organized, clearly signed and literally by the roadside - look for the 100 baht a day sign. Presumably has transport. Go early and check it out if you are a long termer and need to save a few hundred baht. Might even have overnight security.

Thanks for the original post and earlier comments.

The Air Asia service to Chiang Mai is a great route, useful to more than Khon Kaen residents. Only about 1200 baht one way (less than a grand if you can book sufficiently in advance for the promo fare. Dwon here in the south east corner of Isaan we have Kan Air flying direct to CM from Ubon Ratchatani, but noone trusts it to fly at all every day as sceduled and it seems to be unbookable! Air Asia are mooted to be re-opening a UBP to CNX route - bring it on, but meanwhile I'll save the 1.5 day drive by getting up early and driving to KK for the 12:35 flight from KK.

Thanks for the update. Fortunately my car is small enough to use the lower floors.

Never seen them full.

Crowded on the upper floors while plenty of parking on the lower floors is the norm.

Same everywhere. Was at Central yesterday. There it's the other way round.

Of course jam packed on ground and 2nd, full on 3rd.

Plenty from 31/2 upward.

But of course endless cruising on the lower floors.

Just do what the Thais do in Central if they can't park within 10 yards of an entrance to the shops.  Park it across three other cars and leave it it neutral, even when there's space elsewhere.  Or better still leave it in gear with the handbrake on so the parking attendant has to get the  trolley jack they keep for such inconsiderate drivers and  use it to move their  pickup.

Personally find it to be a lot better now have used the car park numerous times both before and after charges. As stated it's150 for full 24hrs which is great. Plus if you park across the rear of other cars on the top 2 decks they actually tow your car to a compound in KK now. A friend Thai had his towed he was only in for 30 minutes to meet a work mate however he was in the wrong so accepted it. 2000bht and the cost of the taxi to get his car.

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

lus if you park across the rear of other cars on the top 2 decks they actually tow your car to a compound in KK now.

Law and order in Khon Kaen, wow times are changing :biggrin: