Is it time for a new laptop?

giddyup

I have noticed in the last couple of days that my laptop screen has lost a lot of definition. Lines that were quite visible before have virtually disappeared. I have tried changing the screen appearance to a bolder look, but it doesn't restore the lines/boxes/borders etc. The laptop (Asus) is close to 7 years old, so I've had a good run out of it.

1 minute ago, ev1lchris said:

Seven years is a long time for technology.  Perhaps it's time to get a new laptop or a monitor to use with your old one.

Just wondering if there was an adjustment setting I wasn't aware of to enhance some of lines/borders etc that are fading? I have never touched any of that stuff in 7 years, had no need to, until now.

7 minutes ago, Strange said:

7 Years is a long time like the other poster said. I think if you got a newer more modern unit, I think you will be surprised at what you have been missing in clarity, ease of use, speed, size/weight, etc. 

Indeed.  I had a two year old laptop with a 1366 X 768 resolution and I just bought a 4K laptop and it's amazing the difference.  Even though most everything isn't close to being 4K definition, the clarity of this new unit compared to the old unit is unbelievable.  Get the highest resolution screen you can for your budget if you watch any type of videos. I now download the highest resolution videos possible and wonder how I got by on low res torrents for so long.

If no settings under Monitor or Display in the Control Panel can help you, you can still buy a cheap flat screen external monitor and plug it in to your VGA output socket.  Then use your laptop with the new external monitor replacing the built in screen.  If that's not feasible, I guess it's time to buy a new laptop.  Hope this helps, and good luck

14 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Yes like ericjt i always use a separate monitor linked to the laptop, so much better, and bigger, than the laptop screen.

Where I have my laptop set up there's not really room for a separate monitor, and I figure coming up 7 years is a pretty good run. Only one thing to decide, what to buy, what to buy? So many choices, but I am constrained to some degree by price, it's not really necessary to spend more than 20,000 baht to get everything I'll need.

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Where I have my laptop set up there's not really room for a separate monitor, and I figure coming up 7 years is a pretty good run. Only one thing to decide, what to buy, what to buy? So many choices, but I am constrained to some degree by price, it's not really necessary to spend more than 20,000 baht to get everything I'll need.

Buy the best laptop you can afford. Graphics Card, Processor, RAM, Solid Sate HD, High Res Monitor. Tech is changing so fast, and the internet is getting more dense and data heavy. Need to have a laptop that will hold up for the next few years. 

Can I ask what the specs are for your current laptop?

2 hours ago, Strange said:

Buy the best laptop you can afford. Graphics Card, Processor, RAM, Solid Sate HD, High Res Monitor. Tech is changing so fast, and the internet is getting more dense and data heavy. Need to have a laptop that will hold up for the next few years. 

Can I ask what the specs are for your current laptop?

Nothing special, it's an emachines D732Z made by Acer, 14", 16.9 HD LCD, 2GB memory, 500 GB HDD.

21 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Some guys just like to hold on to old stuff and just go backwards and forwards to Tukcom until the service guys finally tell them to call it a day. It can be done.

I suppose I could have the screen replaced on my laptop, be cheaper than buying a new one, but then, what will be next to go?

My Asus is 11 years old, still hobbling along on windows xp sp2. It's had new fans, a new hard drive and a new screen, all sourced from the Asus graveyard in the back of the old pantip plaza. It's like Trigger's broom from Only fools and horses... 

Trigger And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old broom's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time.
Sid How the hell can it be the same bloody broom then?
Trigger There's the picture. What more proof do you need?