British couple’s dream Thailand trip turns into a nightmare filled with rubbish and half-finished buildings

webfact

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Cynicism aside, but if they'd have researched it properly, they'd see that it's a popular backpacker place and was 'turned' a long time ago. 'Idyllic' in Thailand nowadays really requires a boat ride to a secluded island/beach.

Need to get rid of these trashy backpackers  !!!!  back in the early 70's Immigration would not give you a tourist visa without proof

of money and they could turn you down just by the way you looked , I.E. Hippie Types, greaseball hair and unkemp appearance.

Need to start doing it again !!!!!    :rolleyes: The good old days  !!!!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is fast becoming...or is already the "shithole" of SE Asia in respect of the dumping of rubbish...and the pumping or gravity fed pipelines feeding direct into waterways or the sea of raw untreated sewerage.

Take the Chao Phrya (spelling?) river as an example....60% of Bangkoks sewerage output is dumped into this river....Along the banks of the CP river are 30,000 yes 30,000 factories....no doubt dumping gods knows what into this once mighty river undercover of darkness or in full view during daylight hours.

Look around everywhere you go....is there anywhere in this country where rubbish isn't dumped...streetside...in vacant sections...up unused alleyways...the klongs are stinking filthy open sewers...once pristine beachs are strewn with plastic bags etc etc....waves are washing up and bringing with them all manner of additional rubbish

The once beautiful island resorts ...Koh Samui as an example ...have huge stinking piles of rubbish growing daily...yet nothing is done about it.

If I was 100% a Thai person....this rubbish situation would cause me to lose "face".....a huge embarrassment in my own country.....but as usual....the attitude seems to be...."it is not my problem"

Rant over.....

Thailand is fast becoming...or is already the "shithole" of SE Asia in respect of the dumping of rubbish...and the pumping or gravity fed pipelines feeding direct into waterways or the sea of raw untreated sewerage.
Take the Chao Phrya (spelling?) river as an example....60% of Bangkoks sewerage output is dumped into this river....Along the banks of the CP river are 30,000 yes 30,000 factories....no doubt dumping gods knows what into this once mighty river undercover of darkness or in full view during daylight hours.

Look around everywhere you go....is there anywhere in this country where rubbish isn't dumped...streetside...in vacant sections...up unused alleyways...the klongs are stinking filthy open sewers...once pristine beachs are strewn with plastic bags etc etc....waves are washing up and bringing with them all manner of additional rubbish

The once beautiful island resorts ...Koh Samui as an example ...have huge stinking piles of rubbish growing daily...yet nothing is done about it.

If I was 100% a Thai person....this rubbish situation would cause me to lose "face".....a huge embarrassment in my own country.....but as usual....the attitude seems to be...."it is not my problem"

Rant over.....

I guess your not 100% Thai. "The rubbish situation" is a global problem, not just Thailand. It's up to the next generation to do things differently so this problem can be solved. It's called "Environmental Awareness".

There, there, have a beer, pop a prozac and stick on some whale sound, hippy music.

9 hours ago, smedly said:

support and lend a hand ????????

people don't book go on luxury holidays to clean up trash

You would be surprised. There are "charities" that run trips to places like this and you end up living in dorms and doing manual labour for your money.

Of course the "charity" bosses get huge salaries and expensive company cars, free air travel and accommodation in top hotels to visit or go to summit meetings.

NGO heaven...

9 hours ago, smedly said:

support and lend a hand ????????

people don't book go on luxury holidays to clean up trash

You would be surprised. There are "charities" that run trips to places like this and you end up living in dorms and doing manual labour for your money.

Of course the "charity" bosses get huge salaries and expensive company cars, free air travel and accommodation in top hotels to visit or go to summit meetings.

NGO heaven...

7 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

You need a work permit for any volunteer or charity work period.

It is that simple. 

It's not that simple.

You only need a work permit if you're working/volunteering as worker, paid or not, for a recognised organisation that has to comply with the Alien Working (Employment) Act.  Someone picking up litter on a beach does not fall within this act and does not need a work permit. They could only be prosecuted if the authorities could prove it was their occupation/job in which case they would be prosecuted under the Immigration Act. 

Do Sun "viewers" have a problem with short-term memory loss?:

"digger on the beach"

3 lines later:

"had to put up with a digger ploughing"

8 lines later:

"instead there was a digger ploughing up the beach"

13 lines later:

"a digger was driving on the beach"

Let's not forget the photo captions:

"stuck with views of diggers"

"a digger ploughing up the white"

"a digger on the beach"

Have I missed any?

Maybe it was the "journalist", who themselves had forgotten what they had already "written".

3 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

You need a work permit for all work, voluntary or charity, paid or unpaid.

If you are picking up trash on a Thai beach that is an organised activity you need a work permit.

If you are out on your own on the beach picking up rubbish you can please yourself as it is not considered work. You will probably just labelled as a ban-ya-on and ignored.

Really don't know why people cannot get their heads round this.

This subject has been done to death and until people like you stop posting uninformed nonsense misinformation will continue.

Picking up rubbish on a beach that is an organised activity does not necessarily require a work permit. You are making a sweeping generalisation. 

52 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It's not that simple.

You only need a work permit if you're working/volunteering as worker, paid or not, for a recognised organisation that has to comply with the Alien Working (Employment) Act.  Someone picking up litter on a beach does not fall within this act and does not need a work permit. They could only be prosecuted if the authorities could prove it was their occupation/job in which case they would be prosecuted under the Immigration Act. 

The peoplewho volunteered to help after the big wave in Phuket were warned they could not no work permit

I had to chuckle yesterday driving in a cab down Sukhumvit: to see one of those big signs about fines for public littering ( all in English) with a 'cop' in the vicinity ready to pounce on butt droppers....but surrounded by overflowing plastic bags of rubbish. 

It's been a great scam to have lasted all these years.

The litter is a mentality issue. Walking along Karon Beach with well educated Thai GF. When she finished here drink, dropped the plastic can with ice into the bush as if that would be normal. I was surprised and asked her. Oh, there is always someone who collect that. Never ever do that again (without a Please...)! Or do that in Singapore and see what happens. ?

Edited by titanio82

11 hours ago, JustNo said:

No it doesn't... I have found various havens up and down the coats from Hua Hin to Chumphon over the years that are the main land and not islands. In fact one beach in Chumphon I was astonished to find that I was almost alone on, and it was maybe the most beautiful beach I have been on. Another one that springs to mind is the beaches around and in Sam Roi Yot. 

chumphon-cabana.jpg
^^^ Chumphon

ID_185_Large.jpg

^^^ Sam Roi Yot 

u  need to  look a  little harder down to Khao Kalok the rubbish is  left everywhere especially weekends when the Thais  come for a vacation, sit  under the trees eat some food  then leave all the plastic  bags and crap under the trees...............I LIVe  THERE I see it, and just behind the beach the wind  blows al those bags onto the wire fences and it stays there forever............Ill try to get some photos  later today if  I get the chance to go out.

10 hours ago, impulse said:

Nobody deserves to get cheated out of the holiday they spent the entire year looking forward to and saving up for.  

Haven't you ever read a string of glowing reviews, then figured out the people writing them may have been less than honest- as in paid by the establishment they're reviewing?  

There's an entire industry built around creating false reputations on the interweb.  Look it up.  Might even save you from fulfilling your own cruel wish.

exactly , many of those reviews are "paid for" and many ones  slagging  off a  place are  put in by rivals , the whole thing is a  total sham now

11 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

You need a work permit for any volunteer or charity work period.

It is that simple. 

So will you allow me to clean up a public beach in my spare time ? I have done it for several years. Not organized , just me . Or ride my bicycle on the public road. Or throw a rock in the water? 

17 hours ago, BKKBrit said:

There's a great charity that depends on the enthusiasm of people to help make the world a little more pleasant to live in - Trash Hero.  They have just undertaken a clean up in Koh Lipe - 

Do you support and lend a hand, also? Give it a go - and yes, it would be better to educate but these guys do this and more by example. 

Yes, we are doing this here in Negros Philippines 

Go to the airport n u see foreigners farangs clearing their own trays in fast food joints burger king, go to macdonalds in bkk or burger king in mega bangna n see if any locals knows to clear their own trays. Its an attitude lacking in an otherwise beautiful culture.

1 hour ago, balo said:

So will you allow me to clean up a public beach in my spare time ? I have done it for several years. Not organized , just me . Or ride my bicycle on the public road. Or throw a rock in the water? 

Do you have a rock throwing permit.  Had a guy in our village who constantly turned up wanting to mow our lawns for 400 baht.  My wife constantly told him I do them every week, we have a lawn mower.  He wouldn't take no for an answer and threatened to report me to authorities for taking work from him.  Didn't hear anymore but someone now keeps dumping thier rubbish over our fence during the night.

They should make it mandatory that hotel and resort guests spend 2 or 3 hours a day early in the morning cleaning their garbage up. There should also be a tax levied hidden in ticket prices to pay for this effort. 

Stop blaming the Thais they only build resorts and have garbage because of the reckless tourists that come here. They could also sell low carbon footprint eco packages where you pay the money for the package and simply stay at home. 

In all seriousness I can't believe anybody is even suggesting the tourists do the clean up and that the people on this holiday don't have any right to their opinions. Maybe they should have done their research sure. Then again maybe Thailand should start cleaning it's act up. If they don't these stories will get out more often. The country is honestly turning into a cess pit right in front of our eyes.

kho lipe is a rubbish hole anyway and this not since yesterday....some area is nice but most of it is overrun with people lousy accomodation and extremly overpriced too....sure a lot of fancy photos but all BS....go to one of the resorts at kho ngai it costs top dollars but it is really nice only one thing there the beach is not good for swimming because of spike stones,,,,