Importer of Vespa motorcycles faces over 500 million tax evasion charges

webfact

Importer of Vespa motorcycles faces over 500 million tax evasion charges

15325a15a26600009071a13957803cad-wpcf_72

BANGKOK: -- Sole distributer of Vespa motorcycles in Thailand, Vespiario Thailand Company, has been accused of evading taxes worth more than 500 million baht for motorcycles imported into the country from Vietnam during 2010-2013.

The tax office of the Department of Special Investigation on Thursday submitted its findings about Vespiario Thailand’s alleged tax evasion to the Office of Attorney-General with a recommendation that tax evasion charges should be brought against the company.

The DSI reported that the company imported Vespa motorcycles into the country from Vietnam by sea through Laem Chabang deep-sea port and by air through Suvarnabhumi international airport during 2010-2013.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/importer-vespa-motorcycles-faces-500-million-tax-evasion-charges/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-30

22 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Oh dear, oh dear.

An Italian, well, sort of, company brought to court about tax evasion charges.

In Thailand.

Interesting!

Vespa is an Italian brand scooter produced in Vietnam and imported by a Thai company. Read better before writing.

2 hours ago, Sphere said:

500 million baht? Sounds a bit OTT.... 

How much does a Vespa cost? How many were imported?

70% import duty and 7% vat do the maths and work it out. With a high import duty and taxes it is a great incentive for crime. If they used 5% or 10% like most other countries it would stop these illegal imports quickly.

They say in the article "The department said that the company allegedly evaded paying 500 million baht in import tariffs, 17 million baht in excise tax, 40 million baht in VAT and 1.5 million baht in municipal tax."

So 500 million baht is 70% of value of the bikes imported

40 million baht is 7% vat. 

Average sale price of bike is 100,000 baht so each one they must have sold 1000 million bahts worth = 10,000 motorcycles as a rough calculation.

1 hour ago, gregk0543 said:

Much more to this story than that. Try importing motorbikes by sea without paying duties or paying off someone. 

The method used needs to be brought to light. A case again where the reporters just dont think how was this done.

I agree. The reporters should  have all the facts, how it was done, who was responsible, who got the tea money etc etc and they should make that info public and not worry about defamation laws.

This is nothing but payoff by the Thai company who has rights for the distribution of this motorcycle in Thailand and the Thai customs personel at the ports the cycles were/are shipped to.

The people on civil servent payroll seem to be able to steal as much, if not more than is spent on the countries entire budget. A good example is the need to sell bonds ( borrow money ) that will be  16 years in payback time just on the rice scam.

The best way to deal with this type activity is like when you find a nest of vipers, which are a threat to the honest , working folks, a gasoline bath and a good roaring fire.

1 hour ago, gregk0543 said:

70% import duty and 7% vat do the maths and work it out. With a high import duty and taxes it is a great incentive for crime. If they used 5% or 10% like most other countries it would stop these illegal imports quickly.

They say in the article "The department said that the company allegedly evaded paying 500 million baht in import tariffs, 17 million baht in excise tax, 40 million baht in VAT and 1.5 million baht in municipal tax."

So 500 million baht is 70% of value of the bikes imported

40 million baht is 7% vat. 

Average sale price of bike is 100,000 baht so each one they must have sold 1000 million bahts worth = 10,000 motorcycles as a rough calculation.

From experience when evading customs in thailand you are required to pay double the import duty. So if the original duty was 250,000 they would now be liable for 500,000. Of course if original tax was 500M now it 500M x 2

Edited by yankee99

1 hour ago, slapout said:

This is nothing but payoff by the Thai company who has rights for the distribution of this motorcycle in Thailand and the Thai customs personel at the ports the cycles were/are shipped to.

The people on civil servent payroll seem to be able to steal as much, if not more than is spent on the countries entire budget. A good example is the need to sell bonds ( borrow money ) that will be  16 years in payback time just on the rice scam.

The best way to deal with this type activity is like when you find a nest of vipers, which are a threat to the honest , working folks, a gasoline bath and a good roaring fire.

They would just claim civil liability...

7 minutes ago, Alive said:

Only the rich buy Vespas is my guess and those folks are all for avoiding taxes.

Funnily enough I seem to remember noticing when I first came here that they were very popular with people transporting gas cylinders and rolls of carpet!

I noticed because I had a vintage (1963) one back in the UK.

4 hours ago, trogers said:

Would be interesting to know the big names of this company...and why only from 2010 to 2013, and not right into this year...

Hmm, I can't help wondering if someone is"picking off" the business? 

The equivalent of the"hostile take over bid" in the capitalist west?

13 minutes ago, JAG said:

Funnily enough I seem to remember noticing when I first came here that they were very popular with people transporting gas cylinders and rolls of carpet!

I noticed because I had a vintage (1963) one back in the UK.

But I doubt those were imported between 2010 and 2013.

Ahhh,the Vespa 180 ss.Thats the one that was the favourite in the 70/80's.

They were a fab bike.And i think,the 180 was the biggest engine that they put into a scooter then.

The Lamberetta 200 sx came next,followed by the SX 225.

I preferred the Lambereatta because of its slim lines.

Margate and Brighton were a must for Bank holidays in those days.

Long forgotten until 'Quadraphenia'  hit the screens.

Phil Daniels,Sting etc.Pork pie hats and parka coats.Squirral tails and dancing to midnight Ska.

Forgotten until i was in Soi Buokhow a few yaers ago,and the was a bar called the Marquee.Red and white stripes,pictures of the who and small faces.And lo!there was a Vespa and a lamberetta(with white wall tyres)inthe bar.The girls uniforms reflected the age as well.

s still there? Perhaps someone can let me know.

Thanx

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Ahhh,the Vespa 180 ss.Thats the one that was the favourite in the 70/80's.

They were a fab bike.And i think,the 180 was the biggest engine that they put into a scooter then.

The Lamberetta 200 sx came next,followed by the SX 225.

I preferred the Lambereatta because of its slim lines.

Margate and Brighton were a must for Bank holidays in those days.

Long forgotten until 'Quadraphenia'  hit the screens.

Phil Daniels,Sting etc.Pork pie hats and parka coats.Squirral tails and dancing to midnight Ska.

Forgotten until i was in Soi Buokhow a few yaers ago,and the was a bar called the Marquee.Red and white stripes,pictures of the who and small faces.And lo!there was a Vespa and a lamberetta(with white wall tyres)inthe bar.The girls uniforms reflected the age as well.

s still there? Perhaps someone can let me know.

Thanx

fab bike.  ooooo how carnaby  eh  ??

3 hours ago, slapout said:

A very serious accusation. Even if true, you   must know a little about thai law!

6 hours ago, trogers said:

Would be interesting to know the big names of this company...and why only from 2010 to 2013, and not right into this year...

I'm guessing they probably took advantage of the tax loop hole regarding to "assembled bikes". I remember back then,  many grey market importers would just import new cars and remove some wheels or engines and it would get taxed as "assembled car" for lower tax rate.