Why are Thais always late?

Inspire

Why are Thais always late?

Gerry Carter

late-pt.jpg

It is a perennial question often asked by Western expats used to keeping appointments and arriving on time.

The simple answer is probably that the westerners arrive too early – that is to say “on time” according to their perspective.

Because Thais are much more general in their perception of time and you only need to look at their language to get some angle on that.

Notions of time are dealt with by many rather vague notions such as “naan” (long time) that could mean anything from hours to centuries to “torn yen” (evening or ‘time of cool’) that could be anything from about four to seven pm. “Duk” is late at night but could be anything according to the speaker’s preference while “saay” kind of means late in the morning or just plain late depending on when the appointment was.

There is even debate about when something has actually happened – for example the Thais will say the bus is “here” when it is but a speck on the horizon for it can be seen. Ok, there might me some difference between “maa laew” (come) and “theung laew” (arrived) but that is really semantics.

It all leads some cheeky westerners used to propping up bar stools perhaps to joke that the only reasonably accurate analysis of time is available in the expressions “chua khaaw” or “khang kheun” (short time or all night)…..even then it can be debatable!

So even for Thai speakers and, frankly, the Thais themselves it can be tricky to pin down what is meant by being on time. I tried Steven Hawking’s “Brief History” thereof but found it even more complex than I thought.

Though it is fair to say that westerners probably get more concerned about the issue of lateness as most Thais in most situations will have little concept of why such a fuss is being made!

For me, with a few examples of being made to wait in the kingdom after 35 years residence, and even possessing a fair ability at the Thai language, it can still be very hard to predict when people are likely to turn up.

Experience is a good thing – if you know the person who you are planning to meet you can usually gauge when they are likely to show give or take the influence of imponderables like the traffic or how long it takes for a woman to wash her hair or do her nails….

But it really gets tricky when meeting someone new.

I would say in most cases arrive thirty minutes after the stated time. If the Thai person has, unusually, been actually waiting for thirty minutes you can show your admirable knowledge of the culture by offering no apology whatsoever. Who on earth comes on time, duh!!

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/thais-always-late/

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, 2fishin2 said:

Many Asian cultures have the principle that on-time is rude, 15 min past is (on time) and 30 min past is (late)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Not as far as I'm aware.

I was frustrated with how late my colleagues were.  One day we had a meeting with another highly respected local manufacturer.  I timed to arrive 15 minutes early, to allow for getting lost or finding a parking place, and arrived about 5 minutes early, and I was the last of my colleagues.  

I'm only speaking about the work environment here...

If they're meeting someone important, they will be early.  If they're not early for you, they don't think you are important. 

They turn up early for interviews if they want the job

SC

I can only imagine the author is some TEFLr type, or lower down the pecking order of the Thai totem pole than others.

Try taking that attitude to the CBD in Bkk, try dealing with companies such as ING, UOB, Aberdeeen Asset management.

I can only assume he doesnt hold a Premier Account at HSBC.

Load of tosh.

My wife does announce "train coming" or "coming" every time as the op suggest as soon as she sees the light in the distance. Sometimes it's still actually loading at a nearby station and I've learned not to laugh or delay as she insists on my being in the cue. I think it's her conditioning of years on the Sky train and not wanting to wait for the next one,fight to get in or miss getting a seat if only she had loaded a little sooner.
She's always punctual and although she understands it, Thai time makes her crazy and the very common Thai habit of not showing up without even calling to cancel, apologize or explain makes a bad day for me as I listen to the questions she should have asked them before saying it's okay and hanging up,,why they don't call,,if they don't want to go why make a plan,, etc.
I calm her down by telling her how happy I am that's she's not that way and we go someplace so her being dolled up and excited to be going out doesn't go to waste.

Haven't really noticed it during my stays. In the country side things were a bit more relaxed but in BKK everything was more or less on time. When my teerak still had a job there (later she immigrated to NL) she ofcourse had to be in the office on time, and during leisure time most of the friends would all show up around the agreed upon time. After her immigration we ofcourse would go to TH to visit family and friends,  it might have been the first holiday to TH where  at the end of our holiday a friend was supposed to pick is up and take us to the airport.  So we waited outside with our bags, nobody came, 5 minutes past, 10, 15... My girl began to worry and get annoyed, tried to call, at first no answer,  a bit later the phone was answered and we were told that they would be there soon. I told my girl not to worry, we had plenty of time,  30 minutes late is nothing to bother yourself over. But my love was clearly frustrated and told me "time is time, if you say something you must do as you say".  I told her "but Thai people are often late not?"  , she replied that she hates people who run late and if they do it more then once or twice she won't hang out with those people. After about an hour the friend showed up, I was quite relaxed but my love was furious and quite clearly made this known. I kept my mouth shut or I might have been killed if I had defended the friend. 555   

Living in NL, and later getting married, my wife would always get nervous if it seemed that we would be running late.  I could get her all worked up if shortly before leavin  the house I'd tell her that I needed to get something done first. She'd ask me "why didn't you do that ealier? We need to go now."  .  She would take a bit of humour but if I was teasing her too much by obvously dragging things out, she would get very annoyed and make clear that she would get quite angry if I didn't get ready in seconds.  Oh the fun we had. 

6 minutes ago, rgs2001uk said:

I can only imagine the author is some TEFLr type, or lower down the pecking order of the Thai totem pole than others.

Try taking that attitude to the CBD in Bkk, try dealing with companies such as ING, UOB, Aberdeeen Asset management.

I can only assume he doesnt hold a Premier Account at HSBC.

Load of tosh.

It's not a load of tosh.  It's as you said in the first part of your post, and as I said in mine.

At social engagements, I think when the guests of honour arrive late, it is to make sure that no-one else is embarrassed by arriving after them.

To provide an over-simplifying generalisation, Westerners like myself think that when you arrive, with respect to the appointed time, is about you (and your self discipline), whereas Asians think that when you arrive in comparison to the other person, is more important, and the time of the appointment is a guide to help you achieve that

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

I was on a job once, Thai lady rocked up at 10 in the morning, where is Somchai?

No answer.

Mobile pulled out, first question, Somchai where are you, second question, are you drunk?

Somchai was in Korat, Thai lady, that will take about 4 hours driving, I will give you 6 hours, see you at such and such address at 4 pm today.

Somchai showed up at 3:30, and was made to wait, two messages were sent.

Dont bite the hand that feeds, and know your place in the Thai pecking order.

14 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

It's not a load of tosh.  It's as you said in the first part of your post, and as I said in mine.

At social engagements, I think when the guests of honour arrive late, it is to make sure that no-one else is embarrassed by arriving after them.

To provide an over-simplifying generalisation, Westerners like myself think that when you arrive, with respect to the appointed time, is about you (and your self discipline), whereas Asians think that when you arrive in comparison to the other person, is more important, and the time of the appointment is a guide to help you achieve that

SC

Interesting stuff there. Particularly:

"Westerners like myself think that when you arrive, with respect to the appointed time, is about you (and your self discipline), whereas Asians think that when you arrive in comparison to the other person, is more important"

This is a really good insight and a fundamental lesson in living in a different culture from one's own.

Many years ago in NYC USA, I was invited to a party at 8 pm - when I showed up at 8 pm - the hosts were astonished. They were just beginning to get ready, coming out of the shower and not yet dressed... apparently, they expected everyone to come at 10 or 11 pm as cool people are just too busy to be on time... 

Not sure if that is still the fashion. 

Thai people seem to get to work on time - social encounters can be look at more loosely. I always have a book with me. 

Recently a Thai real estate agent made an appointment to view our house at 10.00am.  This was changed by her to 1.30pm.  She finally arrived at 2.00pm.  No call to say she would be late, and no apology when she arrived.  I asked her why she was late, and the answer was she was busy. My answer was....if you are so busy, then better you are not here.....goodbye.  She must have been here for all of 2 minutes.

Last week my wife was called for an interview with the area manager of Budget Rent a Car, concerning employment.  Appointment made for 10.00am, and I made sure my wife was 10 minutes early.  Area manager finally arrived 50 minutes late, with no call, and no apology.  I suggested to my wife that if that is how the company operates, then they are not worth working for.

19 minutes ago, Geoffsilverfox said:

I suggested to my wife that if that is how the company operates, then they are not worth working for.

That's of course correct by western standards. But keeping this attitude in Thailand will not leave many companies to work for....

Thai time Mexican time it seems all the same. I spent 10 years in Mexico and the appreciation of time is no better there. It must be the heat that slows the metabolism down. As I age I now realize how valuable time is as I have very little left. They seem to take a Laissez-Faire attitude on life. Maybe rushing in the heat will speed up your heart to much and cause it malfunction.  By being on time you appreciate the value of other peoples time as well. This has always been a personal trait with me. It seems as time goes on and the world speeds up Thailand is isolated in this regard and seem to slow down more. Time here now seems more important spent on mobiles TV music and other past times of life and in fact now have become full time for some. It is full time almost for me as well I am retired and now have the choice. 

13 hours ago, Scotwight said:

Ya right.  Ever teach?  Ever work for a large Thai company like PTT or Central?  

He's right about the cultural thing. 

However, add to that the inability to think forward and plan, the inability to focus on an objective, the willingness to be diverted to something more interesting - and bingo, you've arrived!

Example Mrs BB calls and says she's on the way home and will bring food. After couple of hours and no sign I call her. After her first call a friend rang and asked if she'd stop at a restaurant as it was this friend's birthday. She doesn't say that but I can tell she's eating and here noise. Some excuse and "just waiting for food".  My daughter told me what happened when they got home. My wife admits she simply "forgot" about me and disabled son and her telling us to wait as she was bringing food home. Easily distracted with perceived better offer!

And she's an educationalist with a Master's!! 

May I suggest the excellent book "The Silent Language" by Edward T. Hall. He goes into those cultural assumptions many of us take for granted and assume are "natural and right", such as how time is dealt with (what is late? what is "on time"?), personal space, etc. Indonesians have a good phrase: "jam karet" which means "rubber time"... it's flexible. Compare that with some cultures where 2 minutes late demands profuse apology. There is no "Right or wrong": it all depends on which culture you grew up. Adapt, change, accept.... or blow a gasket. It's up to you

My Thai tottoo artist friend goes bonkers with Thai customers. He have a quite busy

shedule most of the days, and when the Thai customers are 30 min. to 1 hour. late every time, he goes crazy. He say Western people are 99 % on time, Thais 99 % far too late.

And, of course, farangs are never late for anything. It's a tradition established by the US Cavalry in every good ol'  Hollywood western movie.  We know Hollywood would never stoop to exaggeration or outright lying, would it? Just like honesty, another great tradition exclusive to farangs.

Yes it does vary a lot here my Thai wife is a get there before time allotted type, somtimes ridiculously  early, her niece who is a doctor is always late, i think when they consider it's not important they don't bother even when it is a time that they have arranged, a typical example was the niece was due to pick my wife up at 9am  wifey all ready 8.30am, she bolls up at 12.30pm no explanation or sorry nothing at all!   OK rant over!

during my first trips to thailand i relied on pre - arranged transfers from airport to hotel and v/v. i was apprehensive about this, just based on my pre - conceived assumptions about thailand. NO ONE !!!, not one, was ever late. on the contrary, when i fronted up in the hotel lobby 15 mins. early - as i do (german upbringing :smile:) - my transport was always already waiting for me. same for arriving at the airports. never been met with as much punctuality anywhere else on this planet! no even in germany!

if you want to be treated to real 'lateness', try australia.

I've found that it is difficult to pin Thais down on an actual time.  The response I often get is that someone will arrive "after work" or "before I eat"...they seem almost surprised when I make them give me a real time with numbers and am/pm....the only Thais I have ever encountered who actually used a watch were medical doctors...even attorneys and business people, in situations with money on the table that would be a payment to THEM, seem to be a bit lazy about time...

15 minutes ago, hdkane said:

I've found that it is difficult to pin Thais down on an actual time.  The response I often get is that someone will arrive "after work" or "before I eat"...they seem almost surprised when I make them give me a real time with numbers and am/pm....the only Thais I have ever encountered who actually used a watch were medical doctors...even attorneys and business people, in situations with money on the table that would be a payment to THEM, seem to be a bit lazy about time...

i dare not suggest my upper level thai friends are typically on time because other tv members will call me shallow, womanlike and stupid as they did in another topic. let me say from experience the ones that did masters or phd's abroad are  very reliable. in addition female physician friends have always been on time and they ususally drive through traffic.

on the other hand many a date from internet sites or other venue have been unreliable. late, no message to let me know or also no show without a courtesy message.

then a recent date with a gal that has a car and a condo that called me the time we we were set to meet but she was still at home. 1.5 hours late was the outcome.

rules at serious jobs/companies can have rules that dock significant pay for being late. one friend with such a job moves very fast to get ready and drive to work or else have 700 baht subtracted from the months salary.

Edited by atyclb