Ultimate cheap Charlie , can you beat this.

ableguy

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, SoiBiker said:

Fair enough. I guess that explains your concern at the price of rice. 

I gave an example of how much typical rice dishes cost .

You were trying to show off by stating that your typical rice dish costs twice as much as everyone elses typical rice dishes .

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

I gave an example of how much typical rice dishes cost .

You were trying to show off by stating that your typical rice dish costs twice as much as everyone elses typical rice dishes .

I'm not trying to show off. Just pointing out that the range of 'typical' rice dishes goes beyond that assumed by some of our more frugal members - and that calling 80 Baht for such a dish 'pricey' is quite amusing. 

Apparently this has somewhat struck a nerve for some people. 

33 minutes ago, transam said:

So your bird uses a shovel and that's it.............?.....Gawd 'elp us....:saai:

Go to an Indian restaurant in George Town, Penang, and very often you'll see the Indians eating with their fingers.

Khon Isaan eat sticky rice with their fingers. My son's mother's mother (ie, my son's grandmother) did this all the time. She's from Yaso. I bet your wife is the same.

Vive la difference!

Just now, SoiBiker said:

I'm not trying to show off. Just pointing out that the range of 'typical' rice dishes goes beyond that assumed by some of our more frugal members - and that calling 80 Baht for such a dish 'pricey' is quite amusing. 

Apparently this has somewhat struck a nerve for some people. 

You really need to understand , when something costs twice as much in one establishment than it does in a place a few doors away, then indeed it is expensive (in comparison) , the actual cost is irrelevant to that point .

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

You really need to understand , when something costs twice as much in one establishment than it does in a place a few doors away, then indeed it is expensive (in comparison) , the actual cost is irrelevant to that point .

Yes. But when there are places that charge twice as much again, then it's not exactly at the pricey end of the range. 

Just now, SoiBiker said:

Yes. But when there are places that charge twice as much again, then it's not exactly at the pricey end of the range. 

Let's get back to chop sticks where you are totally wrong...Now go have a chat with your bird.....Then come back and tell all....Bet you won't....:smile:

Just now, transam said:

Let's get back to chop sticks where you are totally wrong...Now go have a chat with your bird.....Then come back and tell all....Bet you won't....:smile:

Why on earth would I want to go and talk to my wife about chopsticks?

9 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

No one has said that a 90 Baht rice dish is the most expensive place to eat , the point was that a 90 Baht rice dish is expensive compared to the normal 40-50 Baht rice dish .

3 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

And yet apparently I know more about it than you.

But we're going in circles now. 

Think we all know you think so, hence your circle.....But that's OK, at least you are learning something about chop sticks.....

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Think we all know you think so, hence your circle.....But that's OK, at least you are learning something about chop sticks.....

I already knew about chopsticks. Apparently some of you guys had a little to learn though. 

2 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

I already knew about chopsticks. Apparently some of you guys had a little to learn though. 

Strange how Jackie Chan in his movies eats boiled rice with chop sticks...Strange that....But the largest population on earth  eat rice with chop sticks don't do that according to you...Strange that..

I'm a cheap Charlie when it comes to laundry in hotels, I always do my own in the shower, even in expensive hotels (1,000 baht a night in my impoverished case)... just an old habit I guess. It's kinda stupid I know; I'll spend 30 minutes  faffing around with my laundry in the shower to save 100 baht, then go and blow  more than that on a coffee and snack without thinking twice. I would like to inform readers that no chopsticks were harmed in this post.

Edited by lemonjelly

1 hour ago, transam said:

Strange how Jackie Chan in his movies eats boiled rice with chop sticks...Strange that....But the largest population on earth  eat rice with chop sticks don't do that according to you...Strange that..

You know Jackie Chan isn't Thai, right?

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

I'm a cheap Charlie when it comes to laundry in hotels, I always do my own in the shower, even in expensive hotels (1,000 baht a night in my impoverished case)... just an old habit I guess. It's kinda stupid I know; I'll spend 30 minutes  faffing around with my laundry in the shower to save 100 baht, then go and blow  more than that on a coffee and snack without thinking twice. I would like to inform readers that no chopsticks were harmed in this post.

Hotels generally charge silly money for laundry. I usually just go find one of those little laundry places run by a couple of grannies instead, though.

1 hour ago, SoiBiker said:

Hotels generally charge silly money for laundry. I usually just go find one of those little laundry places run by a couple of grannies instead, though.

Ahh yes, thai grannies that iron creases into your shirt yokes and put a gloss finish on man made materials with red hot irons after giving the collar a good shredding with a brush that'd be more at home in a workshop...... I know em.

1 minute ago, lemonjelly said:

Ahh yes, thai grannies that iron creases into your shirt yokes and put a gloss finish on man made materials with red hot irons after giving the collar a good shredding with a brush that'd be more at home in a workshop...... I know em.

Never had any problem with them myself. Mind you, I tend not to wear my sunday best when I'm on holiday - and who wears man-made fabrics in a hot sweaty country like this? 

6 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Never had any problem with them myself. Mind you, I tend not to wear my sunday best when I'm on holiday - and who wears man-made fabrics in a hot sweaty country like this? 

I prefer a "dress shirt" even in a casual setting, hides me skinny arms lol.... but I don't wear man made materials except for my trousers when I'm at work, grey (never black !!!) baggy affairs with pleats (Arrow), I wouldn't trust a local dobi wallah with them.

3 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

This guy has never had a problem of any kind here and loves to tell everybody else all about how perfect he is.