Is it Wa Hun or Huwah Hin or Hooray Hin Radio?

xkkpafi

What do we have to do to get this local falang radio station to pronounce Hua Hin properly? Unfortunately I am forced to listen to at least 20 renditions of Wa or Wah Hin every hour because the gym is full of farangs and I cant get to the turn off button.  I mean, a radio station that can't even pronounce the name of the city in which it operates is pathetic. Even Jonathan Head on the BBC cant get it right. God, its not rocket science. If English is your first language, start with the sound as in "Law" or, if your not choking on political correctness, think of "Whore". Then shorten it and add a quick rising tone .. and your there! Suppose the only upside of Wa Hin or the other equally ridiculous variants is there is probably a bunch of nasties running around looking to bomb Wa Hin and never finding such a place.

On 2.10.2016 at 2:31 AM, xkkpafi said:

Suppose the only upside of Wa Hin or the other equally ridiculous variants is there is probably a bunch of nasties running around looking to bomb Wa Hin and never finding such a place.

Or finding it on a map or their car navigation / GPS :cheesy:

hǔua-hǐn  literally means Head Stone

hǔua contains a diphthong –i.e 2 vowels spoken together

A)First half of the Diphthong

This is simply the ‘OO’ sound in Boo. It is a  long vowel

B)  Second half of the diphthong

This is the ‘AH sound in the word ‘Father’ Again  along vowel

The trick is to put A) and B)  together in a continuous way

The word is a Rising tone. To achieve this your voice starts normally then dips and returns to normal. The dip is the ‘h’ followed by A)  . B) is the rising part back to normal

hǐn 

This is straightford . The vowel ‘i’ is short

Again  a rising tone

You should get about a dozen answers and most of them will be different, but correct.......

It all depends who you ask...........Many Thais shorten everything they can so sometimes it could be ... wa-HIN.............. Don't worry too much about it, though......

But would you expect a Radio commentator to s

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Say after (click) me:

http://www.clickthai-online.de/cgi-bin/playmp3.pl?375546

The topic is amusing.

From time to time such stuff pops up.

Neither the majority of English nor the Germans have a close hit to the pronunciation of Phatthaya or Chom Thian (better known as Pattaya or Jomtien) :biggrin:

It;s a stress pattern issue rather than pronunciation surely in the case of Pattaya?

This is something that really gets to me. Shows how sad my life is but anyway. There's a guy on YouTube who can't even pronounce it.what chance do other farangs have, and he lives there. Maybe it's an Australian thing . ! Only joking  ! 

24 minutes ago, The manic said:

It;s a stress pattern issue rather than pronunciation surely in the case of Pattaya?

I don't want to dig too deep as this is not the Thai language forum.

But there is indeed kind of an official ruleset for transcription called RTGS (Royal Thai General System).

Phatthaya would follow this ruleset but indeed very rarely seen (I forgot where I have last seen it in Pattaya).

Chom Thian about the same.

This sign is down from the roundabout down to Beach rd. just before the left curve.

chomthian.jpg

From the WiKi:

Pattaya (Thai: พัทยา, About this sound pronunciation (help·info), rtgsPhatthaya, Thai pronunciation: [pʰát.tʰā.jāː]) is a resort city in Thailand.

Spoken:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/Th-pattaya.ogg

The Engish radio station here always pronounces it WA HIN by both their presenters and advertisers.With Thais in the car they find it a source of amusement.  At worst it's embarrassing. I have NEVER heard a Thai pronounce the word head as WA.  As has already been pointed out the correct pronunciation is:

http://www.clickthai-online.de/cgi-bin/playmp3.pl?375546

On 10/2/2016 at 0:37 PM, Michaelaway said:

Hu-ah Hin is Cor-rect.

I have pronounced it like that since we built the Thai Abn Jump School there in 1976  Hu-ah Hin  -  not Hwah Him   Wa Hin..............like the Aussies and Brits' way of pronouncing Pattaya  like Pa Tai Yah...........it's  PahTi Ya.    

Someone with your obvious talent and IQ should be on the Radio, then YOU can show these poor uneducated, non

Rocket Scientists, just how things should be done and "Pronuniated."

You could have simply offered to help correct the pronunciation instead of trying to belittle people on air, who are probably volunteers and may have never worked in broadcasting previously.

We used to have a saying that applied to "Super Smarties". It related to the so-called Talking Clock. "At the third stroke, it will be half past a "-anker." Oops I missed the letter W .

Archived