PM has no intention of staying in power

rooster59

PM has no intention of staying in power

Thammarat Thadaphrom

PNPOL591002001000301.jpg

BANGKOK, 2 October 2016 (NNT) - Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has assured the public that a general election will be held according to the country’s roadmap, reiterating his stance that he will not remain in power. 

The Thai premier who is also head of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has noted that the country never had a national strategic plan or similar policy in the past. The current administration has already formulated one for the country which plots the country's development over the next 20 years. . 

He then called on all sectors of society to reconcile and compromise, saying everyone must be patient as the reform process is now underway and will require an extended period of time to achieve implementation. 

He added that the next administration must follow the 20-year plan, so that the country can continue to grow in a sustainable manner. 

Addressing members of the press, the prime minister said the press should help the government disseminate information about reform as well as foster a better understanding of the country’s situation in the international community.

He asserted that the reform roadmap and its time frame will not be altered, adding the general election will be organized late next year as scheduled.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-10-02

7 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

I thought they appointed the people who select a PM.  What is an election for?

The next administration must follow the plan.....! 

And if they want to change a bit here and a bit there or even if they want to change a lot of it,  then what??

Well considering the Deputy PM has told the nation that they have the power to dissolve government if they do not select a (suitable) PM.

As for the election well that will probably go much the way of the junta leaders "peoples constitution"

And I'm sure the Junta leader has said several times he will stay on if he is needed by the people...

His face may change but the junta heart remains.

According to their own laws it's just musical chairs.

Also, the usual empty words about reconciliation, we all know it means accepting his side only; compromise means his way or jail.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

He added that the next administration must follow the 20-year plan, so that the country can continue to grow in a sustainable manner. 

Shouldn't this be, "the next administration must follow my 20-year plan"?

so that the country can continue to grow in a sustainable manner. 

Continue? Because it's done so well under your leadership?

He asserted that the reform roadmap and its time frame will not be altered

Theoretically, in a normal country, once the next leader is sworn in he/she can tear your roadmap to shreds and you can do nothing about it.

What is it you're not saying that makes you believe you can assert such a thing???

3 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

Shouldn't this be, "the next administration must follow my 20-year plan"?

Continue? Because it's done so well under your leadership?

Theoretically, in a normal country, once the next leader is sworn in he/she can tear your roadmap to shreds and you can do nothing about it.

What is it you're not saying that makes you believe you can assert such a thing???

I guess hes saying his roadmap is in the constitution so unless theres another coup I think hes quite safe to assert it

4 minutes ago, phycokiller said:

I guess hes saying his roadmap is in the constitution so unless theres another coup I think hes quite safe to assert it

A constitution can be amended/rewritten without a coup. That being said, considering some of the changes they've rammed through and/or tried to ram through to the draft since the referendum, my question was satirical/rhetorical.

He had no intention of staging a coup and look what happened.

A general election will be held as planned next year, maybe, and there will always be a convenient excuse available for any postponent.

Anyway the things are going it seems a election result will mean nothing as those and such as those see fit.

1 hour ago, jamesbrock said:

"Or my goons will lock you up and may report you died of natural causes whilst in custody."

It's rather hard to imagine that the military junta regime is actually going to let this event happen unimpeded. But perhaps they will because of all the  recent international press coverage of their human rights abuses.

http://prachatai.org/english/node/6611?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+prachataienglish+(Prachatai+in+English)

17 minutes ago, taiwanatoa said:

It's rather hard to imagine that the military junta regime is actually going to let this event happen unimpeded. But perhaps they will because of all the  recent international press coverage of their human rights abuses.

http://prachatai.org/english/node/6611?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+prachataienglish+(Prachatai+in+English)

I don't think recent international press coverage of their human rights abuses is going to have much bearing on the situation once the speakers get started on goodies like these:

“Class Struggle and Politics of Royalist Mass”,

“Same Violations but New Concealment of Truth”

“Impunity License: Independent Organizations and 2010 Political Crackdown”

“Experiment on Thai Rule of Law, Impunity Privilege and Misunderstanding of Human Rights in Thai society”

If these items are anything like they sound the good old toads are going to be having palpitations.

Foreigners... academics...

Have we been here before?

19 hours ago, stander said:

The generals and the traditional elites will always prevent the people from making the decisions.

Just like the decisions of the people everywhere in the world are never adhered to or completely ignored by those in power, elected or otherwise.

A post and a reply have been removed as per this:

Any discussion of the Monarchy or members of the royal family in a political context will result in a ban. This includes vague comments that could be construed as referring to the Monarchy.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/878797-updated-notice-to-members-posting-in-thailand-news/