Mug throwing teacher gets away with slap on the wrists for his abuse

webfact

Mug throwing teacher gets away with slap on the wrists for his abuse

By Coconuts Bangkok 

mug.jpg

A picture of before she received the injury. Photo: Naruedee Chotsanthia/Facebook

KORAT: -- Since the infamous mug throwing scandal in August, many speculated and commented on what the punishment for the teacher should be, and now, the results are in.

In the end, teacher Paithoon Klaengkrathok, 58, will receive nothing more than a reduced salary for what he did. According to an education official in Nakhon Ratchasima province, he has done nothing that warrants severe punishment. The evidence and eyewitnesses said that he truly didn’t intend to hurt the student, and that the mug only hit her after ricocheting off the window.

Still, most netizens agree that he shouldn’t have been throwing mugs in the first place.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/10/03/mug-throwing-teacher-gets-away-slap-wrists-his-abuse

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-10-03

Treat people as you want to be treated i always say. This is becoming a joke. Thais just cant enforce a law to save face. Anything but. Lawless, criminally infested, feral place nowadays and getting worse. Thai school teacher scare me. Its against the law to smack kids but when my kids are picked up the teachers even tell us they had to give a little smack. Can i smack the teachers? There would be only 2 needed. One smack upside the head and the other smacking the ground. Id probably get the death penalty.

Im assuming this idiot is playing the "poor" defence and that salary is going to her on the hush. Way to go braniacs. Take advantage of people that dont know better because the people teaching them have absolutley no idea about right and wrong. This teacher needs a trackable sim today!

the fact he threw the mug at all shows his demeanor for being a teacher is totally wrong, he lost his temper with a young girl and has now disfigured her. I think this has more to do with the school having to accept responsibility for her injuries if they found him guilty meaning they would have to pay her. In any other country he would have been charged with assault but here face and saving money is more important to the cretins running the show, again we see the totally pathetic side of Thailand and its backward thinking. 

Where can i sign up for attitude adjustment because i really feel that my upbringing with common sense and morals instilled from the monent i was born must be all backwards. 

Who would have thought your allowed to throw mugs at girls. Is this something i can do with some attitude adjusting?And what does attitude adjusting entail? One blow to the head with a hammer or perhaps a mug to drop my iq or perhaps someone starts signing cheques to me to keep my mouth shut.

(Sorry a little off topic but all relevant really)

Poor girl is all i can say. Im sure the family have taken the easy road to take what they can quickly and quietly which is a shame. I would make sure he would be looking for the nearest tree to hang himself if it were my daughter being his only squirmy way out.

Did anyone really expect any thing different to this outcome, if you did - you haven't been in Thailand long enough to understand that Thai's are different?

Edited by Artisi

It is truly amazing the relative weight given to status in relation to inappropriate behaviour when deciding how to deal with disciplinary matters and enforcement issues.

The result tends to be the maintenance of power structures at the cost of a lack of improvement in standards. Power can  be seen by all to be unaffected by the complaints of unconnected ordinary people. The inappropriate behaviour goes unpunished. So, in this case the teacher retains his job and authority. And there is unlikely to be any change in the inappropriate use of violence by teachers against pupils.

I firmly believe it stems from a lack of moral courage within both the public sector and society as a whole.

Without proof it would be hard to say he did it deliberately...

My thoughts on this would be to investigate if this was "out of character" or are there similar allegations regarding his conduct, if so then it brings into question his fitness to be a teacher and his supervisors who took no action.  

8 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

So the Education dept. says he has done nothing wrong, BUT what about

the Police,surely he has a criminal case to answer.

regards worgeordie

Possibly that problem has been addressed and rectified in his favour,  nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more.

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

I would 100% agree with you on that. If charges were made against the teacher would this then not be a criminal offense proper?

Of course what hasn't been made clear (in this thread anyway) is what happened in the background regarding compensation between the teacher and the pupil/pupil's parents. If that card was played then satisfactory compensation will trump criminal charges.

12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Never mind criminal case, what about pursuing a civil case against the teacher, school and Board of Education for the disfigurement?  The only way to deal with these <deleted> is to hit them where it hurts, in the pocket and reputation.

So teach kids it's ok to be a brutal hooligan great example. In my opinion the people responsible  of deciding that this is not a serious offence are equally responsible and should loose their jobs. The fact that the cup was thrown at all warrants punishment intent to harm or not. 

My wife went to this school, some 30 years ago, and was taught by the mug-thrower.

What seems to be missing from this account (at least, I have myself seen no reference to it) is the fact that the teachers in  the school directed the students to "blame" the victim.   So an unprecedented smear campaign was carried out on FB against the girl by her fellow (or sister) students, the basic theme being that she was a "naughty girl" for playing with her smart phone in class time.  So, the "face" of the school is preserved, and the victim must find another....umm... learning academy.

To all NES English teachers - I suggest you bookmark this page and bring it out as evidence 101 as clearly this is a precedent that will no doubt be useful to you all if you ever are accused of injuring a student; so long as you repeat over and over again that you  didn't intend to hurt the student you will be fine. 

19 hours ago, bsdthai said:

Treat people as you want to be treated i always say. This is becoming a joke. Thais just cant enforce a law to save face. Anything but. Lawless, criminally infested, feral place nowadays and getting worse. Thai school teacher scare me. Its against the law to smack kids but when my kids are picked up the teachers even tell us they had to give a little smack. Can i smack the teachers? There would be only 2 needed. One smack upside the head and the other smacking the ground. Id probably get the death penalty.

Im assuming this idiot is playing the "poor" defence and that salary is going to her on the hush. Way to go braniacs. Take advantage of people that dont know better because the people teaching them have absolutley no idea about right and wrong. This teacher needs a trackable sim today!

Unberlivable...........if i was her father i would go to see him and show him my feelings on the matter HARD.

14 hours ago, Basil B said:

Without proof it would be hard to say he did it deliberately...

My thoughts on this would be to investigate if this was "out of character" or are there similar allegations regarding his conduct, if so then it brings into question his fitness to be a teacher and his supervisors who took no action.  

i saw him re enacting the throw on thai tv. was deliberate but he toned it down quite a bit by the look of it. weak underhand throw like the one he did on tv would not have hurt anyone.

Responsibility and accountability (or its application in law or in every day life) does not seem to translate to Thai language.

Generally speaking, in western culture, authority, responsibility and accountability all go hand in hand.

Only "authority" seems to matter here  :sad:

19 hours ago, Briggsy said:

It is truly amazing the relative weight given to status in relation to inappropriate behaviour when deciding how to deal with disciplinary matters and enforcement issues.

The result tends to be the maintenance of power structures at the cost of a lack of improvement in standards. Power can  be seen by all to be unaffected by the complaints of unconnected ordinary people. The inappropriate behaviour goes unpunished. So, in this case the teacher retains his job and authority. And there is unlikely to be any change in the inappropriate use of violence by teachers against pupils.

I firmly believe it stems from a lack of moral courage within both the public sector and society as a whole.

I think you need to look into Thai history, this is the way the Thai people are trained from a very young age. Up to 100 years ago the ordinary Thai was banned from getting an education, it was strictly restricted to the elite and the royal family, by law! Nothing really changed until after WWII and then only lip service! Education in the modern sense is a very new thing in Thailand and it appears it's going to take some years for even very minor changes to come into effect. They've only changed the rules about female haircuts this year (even though the official rule had changed some time ago?)! :smile::wai:

To us who are foreigners something like this and its results is incomprehensible and we are rightly outraged. The whole incident reinforces the caste system ; protection of loss of face; and injustice that permeates life in Thailand. If this was my daughter or yours- we would never allow this situation to stand. This man should never be allowed to teach again but he will and other teachers will continue their violent behavior and abuse of students. However, I do see some hope in that the media has  publicised this greatly and other cases are coming to light and Thais are starting to question 'authority' regarding allowing these situations to end the way this one has. Yes, he didn't mean to hurt the girl- but  the end result shows no real responsibility for losing his temper which resulted in the injury. What type of example is this for Thai youth and Thai society in general? While as a foreigner I  have to accept Thai society as it is- that does not mean I have to change my moral compass on what is right and wrong.