Suspected rabid dog bites students and teachers at Yasothorn school

webfact

Suspected rabid dog bites students and teachers at Yasothorn school

a4.jpg

Image: Thairath

YASOTHON: -- Dog catchers were called to a Yasothorn school in the north east of Thailand after a suspected rabid dog went on the rampage.

At least five teachers and students at Yasothon Pithayakhom school were bitten by the animal that was foaming at the mouth and had red eyes - symptoms of rabies, reports Thairath.

The attacks happened Sunday during an activity day and continued yesterday when the dog catchers from the municipality were called in.

It took them 30 minutes using a net before the animal - a Thai breed - was subdued and muzzled. In the process one dog catcher was bitten on the finger and another teacher was also attacked.

All those bitten have gone to hospital to be vaccinated against rabies.

Vets said the animal was almost certainly rabid and had been taken to a sanctuary where it was being monitored.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-04

So instead of immediately killing the dog and saving one of the dog catchers from being bitten and exposed to a horrific virus, they are going to monitor the dog and watch it die a horrible death about 3-5 days from now ? 

You want to see something you won't get out of your memory for years? 

Pull up some YouTube videos on people dying from rabies. Most of them are from India. 

And everyone reading this do yourself and yourfamily a favor and get inocculated at the Red Cross next time you are in BKK. Its in a building right next to the Snake Farm buildings on the same property. Best money you will have ever spent in the land of Soi dogs.

"The attacks happened Sunday during an activity day and continued yesterday when the dog catchers from the municipality were called in."

Surely somebody local had a gun,the Police?, letting a rabid dog run around biting people

is very irresponsible,lets wait until tomorrow,then we will call the dog catchers,no hurry.  

regards worgeordie

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

"The attacks happened Sunday during an activity day and continued yesterday when the dog catchers from the municipality were called in."

Surely somebody local had a gun,the Police?, letting a rabid dog run around biting people

is very irresponsible,lets wait until tomorrow,then we will call the dog catchers,no hurry.  

regards worgeordie

Can someone with a thorough understanding of Thai culture explain that one to me.

13 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

It shows that our kids are not even safe at school! Where was the security?

Not surprised. I really do not get the 'government's' stance on stray dogs. Totally and utterly flummoxed as to why they have not addressed perhaps the most eye-poppingly obvious facet that makes Thailand still look like it belongs in the third world category - which it ISN'T. Instead of immediately rounding them up/removing/neutering, they give them extra protection to make themselves look humane/caring etc. I hear Bangkok is to start some programme in addressing this, but too little too late. People are getting bitten everyday, they cause a huge amount of carnage on the roads, defecate everywhere, keep people awake etc etc and it is also *&^%$#@ cruel, not empathetic, to let them breed and roam around scratting for food. Powers that be, GET A GRIP and do your country a favour!

11 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Can someone with a thorough understanding of Thai culture explain that one to me.

I'm quite sure its kreng jai at work, don't fret it, they deem we can't understand it.

2 hours ago, HoboKay said:

Probably the Buddhism way of handling such cases?

Then again, its them.

Don't just generalalized it that way. 

The dog MUST be observed (as a protocol) to monitor on how rabid it is, knowing that the dog had bitten persons. 

It's not a Buddhist way, but it is what we call the scientific way. 

Just now, markusangel said:

The dog MUST be observed (as a protocol) to monitor on how rabid it is, knowing that the dog had bitten persons. 

I'm not against capturing & monitoring the animal for scientific purposes, I'm just perplexed to the reasons for not capturing the animal immediately upon the first reported incident?

Sunday? No one's working at the pound/police station/animal control? Not wanting to inconvenience authorities for fear of repercussions or otherwise?

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

makes Thailand still look like it belongs in the third world category - which it ISN'T.

Ah but it is. Because one of the tick boxes for third world is.  . . Stray dogs. Lots of stray dogs here.

I'm not against capturing & monitoring the animal for scientific purposes, I'm just perplexed to the reasons for not capturing the animal immediately upon the first reported incident?

Sunday? No one's working at the pound/police station/animal control? Not wanting to inconvenience authorities for fear of repercussions or otherwise?

That time there was a provincial competition for the students. A lot were there. I'm lucky enough that MY students competition happened last Saturday.
If you say, why not catch it at the first incident, in my own analogy, the teachers might have been been doing that thing before those professional catchers came. Some of the teachers have been bitten though. Even the professional.
So, it is not a tradition nor something about belief.
NO ONE KNOWS WHEN A LIGHTNING STRIKES.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

28 minutes ago, markusangel said:

In Canada they send out the brain in a jar to be tested, don't need the rest of the dog to make a diognosis.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The attacks happened Sunday during an activity day and continued yesterday when the dog catchers from the municipality were called in.

5 minutes ago, markusangel said:

That time there was a provincial competition for the students. A lot were there. I'm lucky enough that MY students competition happened last Saturday.
If you say, why not catch it at the first incident, in my own analogy, the teachers might have been been doing that thing before those professional catchers came. Some of the teachers have been bitten though. Even the professional.
So, it is not a tradition nor something about belief.
NO ONE KNOWS WHEN A LIGHTNING STRIKES.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Taking the lightning strike analogy, the lightning struck and there's a fire, put it out immediately or wait for the following day?

3 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

And everyone reading this do yourself and yourfamily a favor and get inocculated at the Red Cross next time you are in BKK. 

Given the recent improvements in post-exposure treatment, I'd definitely consult with a doctor before doing a pre-exposure vaccine. It requires three to four doses over a month or so for proper long-term protection and is generally recommended only for people in high-risk occupations.

And yes, observation of the live animal is still the gold standard in rabies diagnosis.

2 minutes ago, Keesters said:

When will Thailand wake up and realize that having stray dogs running free all over the place is a HEALTH HAZARD.

Probably not until someone significant or significant numbers of someone is dead from rabies?

I'd bet on the former, the latter seems to be disregarded.

Edited by HoboKay

Would be interested to know what training and qualifications to be a professional dog catcher here? It looks like their municipality's electricians? I didn't know they had city dog shelters unless temples and foundations meet that definition...

the only way to confirm rabies is via autopsy. There is no test on a live animal. Observing symptoms as reported should have enacted p/p to put the dog down on the spot given what had taken taken place and future protection...

i I would be shocked that strict protocol exists in this matter and every city every province does their own thing and one ends up with wide variations interpretations and results...

for the victims, medical providers want to know ASAP 100% if that animal is rabid vs well he had red eyes, is that foam or saliva?

the time delay is completely unacceptable but whose fault was that?

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

When will Thailand wake up and realize that having stray dogs running free all over the place is a HEALTH HAZARD.

My farang neighbour here on Samui goes to the beach twice a day to feed the stray dogs and they are breeding up, latest litter of 4 pups and more on the way. This  idiot

should be heavily fined.

Some actions or inaction that we observe in the los is blamed on poor, little or no  education, others on a lack of common sense. If the article is accurate in reporting the teachers / education personel in attendance and other adults present who did not insist on immediate action, "" drastic action "" should be taken. In the first group (fire the lot of them) while the 2nd group should be required to attend a 1/2 day course presented by the local vet on rabies and other dangerous aliments that can be transmitted from animals to people.

Sometimes it seems stupidity has no markers to use as a measurement for comparision purposes. My parents use to ask me " what did you learn in school today''? I did the same to my children and grandchildren. It appears the question the parents here should be asking and answers should come from 2 source groups, is ( from students) " what did you not learn about in school today " , (from the educators) "what did you not teach in class today?"

4 hours ago, markusangel said:

One method of testing for rabies is to allow the dog to live in quarantine and watch it display the symptoms and beahviors of rabies until it dies. Rabies kills in 100% of its victims. This method may be used when the animal is someones cherished pet and they argue their dog does not have rabies.

Another method is to kill the suspected animal and perform a necropsy. In this reported incident, when the dog has been a known threat to so many people (6 the first day) then killing the animal is the responsible method and sending the remains to BKK for testing will achieve the fastest results. 

In any case, medical personnel should assume the dog was rabid and the exposed victims need to start post-exposure treatment ASAP. 

With so many victims it is even possible the local hospital will not have enough medication (immuno-globulin) to administer to esch victim. 

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Would be interested to know what training and qualifications to be a professional dog catcher here? It looks like their municipality's electricians? I didn't know they had city dog shelters unless temples and foundations meet that definition...

the only way to confirm rabies is via autopsy. There is no test on a live animal. Observing symptoms as reported should have enacted p/p to put the dog down on the spot given what had taken taken place and future protection...

i I would be shocked that strict protocol exists in this matter and every city every province does their own thing and one ends up with wide variations interpretations and results...

for the victims, medical providers want to know ASAP 100% if that animal is rabid vs well he had red eyes, is that foam or saliva?

the time delay is completely unacceptable but whose fault was that?

My above post was unnecessary.

I did not find this one until just now. 

CardinalBlue is spot on.