Thai Health Min tells people to continue to destroy mosquito breeding sites

webfact

Public Health Min tells people to continue to destroy mosquito breeding sites

mo.jpg

BANGKOK, 4 September 2016 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health continues to ask people to destroy mosquito breeding grounds in its effort to contain the outbreak of Zika virus. 

Public Health Minister Dr. Piyasakol Sakolsattayathorn said his ministry has been making every effort to contain Zika virus. Any pregnant woman or anyone suspected of contracting the disease should seek medical attention immediately. 

Doctors will be able to provide proper care if their blood is tested positive for Zika virus. The Public Health Minister also encouraged people to keep their homes dry to prevent Aedes mosquitoes from laying eggs and spreading mosquito-borne diseases. 

The Department of Disease Control reported that more than 40,000 people came down with dengue fever from January to September this year. Out of that figure, 33 succumbed to death. However, the death toll was said to be lower by half compared to the same period last year. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-10-04

Does he mean like... dirty clogged up klongs, unused patches of land all over Bkk, half finished buildings from the 1990s, potholes in roads with rotting water, clogged drainage systems full of garbage.   I hope the government leads by example.  That would be great for Bkk.

16 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Does he mean like... dirty clogged up klongs, unused patches of land all over Bkk, half finished buildings from the 1990s, potholes in roads with rotting water, clogged drainage systems full of garbage.   I hope the government leads by example.  That would be great for Bkk.

And the rest of the country. Thailand is a LOT MORE than just Bangkok.

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

And the rest of the country. Thailand is a LOT MORE than just Bangkok.

Wouldnt know where to start on that one. How do eradicate mosquito breeding places throughout Thailand :D.  The MoPH seems to making noise but no sense comes out (again).  Much better to advise people on best practice to avoid exposure to mosquitoes.

After using mosquito larvae killer on my property I threw some over the fence into a neighbour's disgusting pool filled with plastic and inhabited by rats and snakes. For two months the local distribution centre told me that there was no more chemical left. I found out that I had been seen throwing stuff over the fence and that that was why I was getting no more. I did a midnight excursion with guppies and they are thriving..  prevention isn't a part of Thai make up.

On 10/5/2016 at 9:41 AM, Jimbo2014 said:

Wouldnt know where to start on that one. How do eradicate mosquito breeding places throughout Thailand :D.  The MoPH seems to making noise but no sense comes out (again).  Much better to advise people on best practice to avoid exposure to mosquitoes.

many more cities than Bangkok have dirty clogged up klongs, unused patches of land, half finished buildings from the 1990s, potholes in roads with rotting water, clogged drainage systems full of garbage

Pattaya, where I live, used to have regular fogging of the drains. Not seen it done for years now. They are city property and it is the city's responsibility to destroy the breeding sites within them. The MoPH cannot pass everything over to the public. They must take action as well. ALL OVER THE COUNTRY.

4 hours ago, Keesters said:

many more cities than Bangkok have dirty clogged up klongs, unused patches of land, half finished buildings from the 1990s, potholes in roads with rotting water, clogged drainage systems full of garbage

Pattaya, where I live, used to have regular fogging of the drains. Not seen it done for years now. They are city property and it is the city's responsibility to destroy the breeding sites within them. The MoPH cannot pass everything over to the public. They must take action as well. ALL OVER THE COUNTRY.

I guess my point is that you cant really stop the breeding grounds for mosquitoes - if it were possible many other countries would have succeeded.  Most sane health ministers in other countries acknowledge this and choose to promote advice to minimise exposure to mosquitoes, rather than telling people to go out and destroy mosquito breeding locations (which is pretty much anywhere there is stagnant water).  Point taken on Thailand's universally poor infrastructure.  The product of years of corrupt governments and poor planning :).  Not holding out hope for any quick fixes in Bkk or elsewhere.

19 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

I guess my point is that you cant really stop the breeding grounds for mosquitoes - if it were possible many other countries would have succeeded.  Most sane health ministers in other countries acknowledge this and choose to promote advice to minimise exposure to mosquitoes, rather than telling people to go out and destroy mosquito breeding locations (which is pretty much anywhere there is stagnant water).  Point taken on Thailand's universally poor infrastructure.  The product of years of corrupt governments and poor planning :).  Not holding out hope for any quick fixes in Bkk or elsewhere.

One less mosquito is one less that can bite me and give me dengue or breed thousands. Every little helps.