Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

24 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Dont be so bloody silly. You think I'm a spelling Nazi?! It was humour! HUMOUR! Do you get that? If not, consider yourself Han Solo. Jesus....

Try harder. Teacher gives you 2/10. Start by throwing a decent joke in, a play on words with the spelling mistake perhaps. Simply highlighting the misspelt word by repeating it isn't exactly hilarious, is it? Though it seems to be to some of the more 'grown up' participants in this discussion.

Oh.....I get it.....you're highlighting your opinion that Laughing Gravy is a 'thick'  brexiter. How nice. No wonder grown up chiang mai 'liked' your post.

Edited by Khun Han

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Grubster, GCSE  or O level Business Studies at secondary school teaches that simple economic practice you describe. No need for college or university.

If you can't dazzle em with brilliance than baffle em with bullshit EH. You are a fool sir

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

Oh, we're getting blamed for food poisoning now.

Not to mention the fact that we're hardly going to become a third world country whilst the economy is currently booming.

But.....but.....the exchange rate!!!

(which the BOE and IMF are quite happy about)

16 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Not to mention the fact that we're hardly going to become a third world country whilst the economy is currently booming.

Since when did the BOE and the IMF start financing business.

On 10/8/2016 at 6:08 PM, sanemax said:

Then again, the E.U. may very well disintegrate very soon , the UK could then form a new Union, consisting of UK , Germany, France , Holland and Belgium . 

The EU is not going to disintegrate. It may well reform a little since lessons have to be learned from Britain's exit, but the organisation itself is very sound and will still be around after the UK 'disintegrates'.

3 minutes ago, Xircal said:

The EU is not going to disintegrate. It may well reform a little since lessons have to be learned from Britain's exit, but the organisation itself is very sound and will still be around after the UK 'disintegrates'.

The UK is not going to disintegrate. It will have to reform a little due to brexit. But the UK itself is very sound (and has been for several hundred years) and will still be around when the EU disintegrates (probably toward the end of next year).

http://news.sky.com/story/businesswoman-challenging-pms-right-to-trigger-brexit-in-high-court-10614970

"The QC added it was wrong to suggest the legal challenge was "merely camouflage" for those who wanted to remain."

Mrs Miller told Sky News: "We have a parliament that is sovereign. We have a functioning democracy.

Are we now saying that we can go back to 19th-century, 18th-century politics where governments can overrule parliaments and take away people's rights, which will happen when we leave the EU."

Oops!!! :biggrin:

27 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The UK is not going to disintegrate. It will have to reform a little due to brexit. But the UK itself is very sound (and has been for several hundred years) and will still be around when the EU disintegrates (probably toward the end of next year).

Typical British arrogance. You think that the UK is the centre of the world and that Europe can't do without you. Did you happen to notice what's happening to Sterling at the moment?

It's wonderful for British businesses and exporters are falling over themselves with orders gushing into the country. All those fat cats at the top of industries are going to get super rich and will be very grateful to the Leave campaigners I'm sure. But ask the average man in the street if he appreciates having to pay 16-27% more for clothing, for meat and for anything the country imports and you'll get a different story. Ask holidaymakers what they think about the plunging FX rates as they plan their Christmas holidays abroad.

And ask the City what they think about losing their passporting rights to Europe if Britain hard exits which is going to cause massive job losses when financial houses and banks move to the Europe in order to continue trading. 

If you want to talk about disintegration remove your blinkers and take a look in your own backyard.

Edited by Xircal

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Unfortunately, they're all a bit like that. Fanciful, zero patriotism, ever so 'slightly' hypocritical,  a little bit green and very wet behind the ears. They could say come back in, all is forgiven, the pound will be 60 baht, or stay out and have 30... I would take the latter with glee, thanks. 

Celebrating financial loss and wallowing in it. Great.

18 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Typical British arrogance. You think that the UK is the centre of the world and that Europe can't do without you. Did you happen to notice what's happening to Sterling at the moment?

It's wonderful for British businesses and exporters are falling over themselves with orders gushing into the country. All those fat cats at the top of industries are going to get super rich and will be very grateful to the Leave campaigners I'm sure. But ask the average man in the street if he appreciates having to pay 16-27% more for clothing, for meat and for anything the country imports and you'll get a different story. Ask holidaymakers what they think about the plunging FX rates as they plan their Christmas holidays abroad.

And ask the City what they think about losing their passporting rights to Europe if Britain hard exits which is going to cause massive job losses when financial houses and banks move to the Europe in order to continue trading. 

If you want to talk about disintegration remove your blinkers and take a look in your own backyard.

Typical anti-British arrogance. We think that Britain isn't the centre of the world, but that we can stand on our own two feet, as we have done for many hundreds of years. Tell me again: how long has the cobbled-together EU been in existence?

Exchange rate!!! Exchange rate!!! Exchange rate!!! Some people seem so obsessed with the fact that Sterling is finding it's correct value away from the EU, that they are oblivious to the fact that the UK economy is currently booming. And if the current government plays it's hand right, the lower value of Sterling will help it to boom even more.

I've looked in my own backyard, and I see a growing economy, with foreign/multinational investors changing their tune about brexit and keeping/increasing their investments.

By the way, your link is to a rolling news feed. When I looked, it was announcing a settlement between Tesco and Unilever (details still unclear).

Edited by Khun Han

30 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Typical anti-British arrogance. We think that Britain isn't the centre of the world, but that we can stand on our own two feet, as we have done for many hundreds of years. Tell me again: how long has the cobbled-together EU been in existence?

Exchange rate!!! Exchange rate!!! Exchange rate!!! Some people seem so obsessed with the fact that Sterling is finding it's correct value away from the EU, that they are oblivious to the fact that the UK economy is currently booming. And if the current government plays it's hand right, the lower value of Sterling will help it to boom even more.

I've looked in my own backyard, and I see a growing economy, with foreign/multinational investors changing their tune about brexit and keeping/increasing their investments.

By the way, your link is to a rolling news feed. When I looked, it was announcing a settlement between Tesco and Unilever (details still unclear).

The EU has been around since 1951 actually, just six years after the end of the Second World War. Back then it was known as the EEC and was formed by six countries namely Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands and West Germany. It's now a union of 28 (soon to be 27) member states with the goal of promoting trade without the constraints of exchange rates.

But pre-WWII Britain doesn't have much to do with post-WWII and if it wasn't for US intervention, Britain woud have been overrun by Hitler and we would be living in a different world now. So let's cut the crap about Britain standing on its own two feet shall we?

As for investment, the UK is still a member of the EU and will remain so at least until 2019. That may fuel investment in the short term, but don't be surprised when investors give you the cold shoulder when it becomes obvious that in the long term the British economy is about to fall off a cliff as more and more businesses move to the EU.

As for the exchange rate, the point I wanted to make is that it won't lift those people who voted for Brexit out of poverty as many were cajoled into believing. In fact the opposite is true and things will only get worse from now on.

Here's an alternative link to illustrate how prices are set to rise due to the falling value of the £ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/13/prices-for-uk-packaging-set-to-rise-as-pound-falls-mondi-says/

4 minutes ago, Xircal said:

The EU has been around since 1951 actually, just six years after the end of the Second World War. Back then it was known as the EEC and was formed by six countries namely Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands and West Germany. It's now a union of 28 (soon to be 27) member states with the goal of promoting trade without the constraints of exchange rates.

But pre-WWII Britain doesn't have much to do with post-WWII and if it wasn't for US intervention, Britain woud have been overrun by Hitler and we would be living in a different world now. So let's cut the crap about Britain standing on its own two feet shall we?

As for investment, the UK is still a member of the EU and will remain so at least until 2019. That may fuel investment in the short term, but don't be surprised when investors give you the cold shoulder when it becomes obvious that in the long term the British economy is about to fall off a cliff as more and more businesses move to the EU.

As for the exchange rate, the point I wanted to make is that it won't lift those people who voted for Brexit out of poverty as many were cajoled into believing. In fact the opposite is true and things will only get worse from now on.

Here's an alternative link to illustrate how prices are set to rise due to the falling value of the £ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/13/prices-for-uk-packaging-set-to-rise-as-pound-falls-mondi-says/

I think the EU has rather bigger ambitions than those you attribute to it.

Yes, let's cut the crap: The USA got involved in the second world war because of the Japanese attack on it's home territory.Britain fought against Japan in the far east alongside the USA. Germany lost the European war it was fighting because it tried to invade Russia.

Whether or not Britain is still a member of the EU is irrelevant to the point I made about renewed commitment of investors. Here is what the CEO of Siemens, (Europe's largest industrial conglomerate ) Joe Kaeser, recently said:

“We’re here to stay,”

“The UK matters with or without being a member of the EU. The Brexit vote will not diminish our commitment to your country. Siemens will not leave the next generation behind, ”

“We never said the UK is in bad shape if it leaves the EU: we said the EU would miss a massive opportunity. Without the UK, the EU may never be able to stand up against superpowers like China and the US,”

Interesting, that last quote, isn't it? Joe Kaeser appears to disagree with your assessment of the relative strengths of Britain and the EU.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/siemens-boss-joe-kaeser-vows-to-invest-in-uk-in-brexit-u-turn-a7132236.html

And the world's biggest sovereign wealth fund (with over 70 billion Sterling in assets in the UK) has changed it's tune:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/norwegian-sovereign-wealth-fund-reevaluates-worth-of-uk-property-assets-2016-10

On price rises due to exchange rate: Foreign suppliers are in for a rude awakening (just as Unilever have, today.) Most goods and commodities in the UK are waaaay overpriced. That's where the 'rip-off Britain' cliche comes from. Foreign suppliers are quickly going find out the Britain aint gonna be milked any more, and will simply buckle down if those suppliers don't cut their cloth accordingly. Their halcyon days in the UK are over.

21 hours ago, Grouse said:

Majourity

My apologies Grouse for my spelling error. I was dealing with a national tragedy at the time with my staff and replying to you was my second priority. Which really should have been no priority at all but i was being polite.  I hope you will not lose any sleep over it.

21 hours ago, Grouse said:

Majourity

As someone from Yorkshire i thought a more phonetic spelling would help you understand.

20 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Oh, come on - on a depressing day, that was pretty funny...

You and Chang Mai are like the chuickle brothers always bickering and forcing your opinion on others. You ask for reasons and  explanations and say you can't accept them. That is what a debate is.  This constant whinging on about the UK getting out of the EU is becoming tiresome. I can't understand why you don't have a bit of confidence in the UK standing on her own two feet and being prosperous.

I have mentioned before about trenches and i certainly would not want you in mine. At the first sign of trouble I can imagine you would 'buckle' and running off shouting 'run for your lives'  I suggest you start accepting the fact that the EU and the UK are getting divorced. The settlement is not yet sure or sorted but is happening. Your constant lets discuss this but then ridicule posters is now becoming pityful.

So as a true Yorkshireman' as you have suggested start being more adult and respect the 17 plus million people who disagreed with you.

BTW I am pretty sure you have another name on here. It is quite easy to see when you see your posts and someone likes them straight away. You don't have to be a genius to work that out.

PS. If I make any more spelling mistakes deal with it, as it just makes you look an absolute anchor.

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

My apologies Grouse for my spelling error. I was dealing with a national tragedy at the time with my staff and replying to you was my second priority. Which really should have been no priority at all but i was being polite.  I hope you will not lose any sleep over it.

As someone from Yorkshire i thought a more phonetic spelling would help you understand.

You and Chang Mai are like the chuickle brothers always bickering and forcing your opinion on others. You ask for reasons and  explanations and say you can't accept them. That is what a debate is.  This constant whinging on about the UK getting out of the EU is becoming tiresome. I can't understand why you don't have a bit of confidence in the UK standing on her own two feet and being prosperous.

I have mentioned before about trenches and i certainly would not want you in mine. At the first sign of trouble I can imagine you would 'buckle' and running off shouting 'run for your lives'  I suggest you start accepting the fact that the EU and the UK are getting divorced. The settlement is not yet sure or sorted but is happening. Your constant lets discuss this but then ridicule posters is now becoming pityful.

So as a true Yorkshireman' as you have suggested start being more adult and respect the 17 plus million people who disagreed with you.

BTW I am pretty sure you have another name on here. It is quite easy to see when you see your posts and someone likes them straight away. You don't have to be a genius to work that out.

PS. If I make any more spelling mistakes deal with it, as it just makes you look an absolute anchor.

"forcing your opinion on others. You ask for reasons and  explanations and say you can't accept them. That is what a debate is.  This constant whinging on about the UK getting out of the EU is becoming tiresome. I can't understand why you don't have a bit of confidence in the UK standing on her own two feet and being prosperous."

the master of oxymoron?

5 hours ago, Khun Han said:

I think the EU has rather bigger ambitions than those you attribute to it.

Yes, let's cut the crap: The USA got involved in the second world war because of the Japanese attack on it's home territory.Britain fought against Japan in the far east alongside the USA. Germany lost the European war it was fighting because it tried to invade Russia.

Whether or not Britain is still a member of the EU is irrelevant to the point I made about renewed commitment of investors. Here is what the CEO of Siemens, (Europe's largest industrial conglomerate ) Joe Kaeser, recently said:

“We’re here to stay,”

“The UK matters with or without being a member of the EU. The Brexit vote will not diminish our commitment to your country. Siemens will not leave the next generation behind, ”

“We never said the UK is in bad shape if it leaves the EU: we said the EU would miss a massive opportunity. Without the UK, the EU may never be able to stand up against superpowers like China and the US,”

Interesting, that last quote, isn't it? Joe Kaeser appears to disagree with your assessment of the relative strengths of Britain and the EU.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/siemens-boss-joe-kaeser-vows-to-invest-in-uk-in-brexit-u-turn-a7132236.html

And the world's biggest sovereign wealth fund (with over 70 billion Sterling in assets in the UK) has changed it's tune:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/norwegian-sovereign-wealth-fund-reevaluates-worth-of-uk-property-assets-2016-10

On price rises due to exchange rate: Foreign suppliers are in for a rude awakening (just as Unilever have, today.) Most goods and commodities in the UK are waaaay overpriced. That's where the 'rip-off Britain' cliche comes from. Foreign suppliers are quickly going find out the Britain aint gonna be milked any more, and will simply buckle down if those suppliers don't cut their cloth accordingly. Their halcyon days in the UK are over.

More Hansian  contradictions - I think you need to review those quotes as they don't back up your arguments - but give you think you can sum up history of world war 2 in 2 lines, I think we can dismiss most of what you say without taking it too seriously.

15 hours ago, SheungWan said:

... I think we would also like to hear what feedback you got from the Soi Cowboy locals on how Brexit is going to improve their lives and particularly the impact of a return to sovereign decision-making powers long time as opposed to short time.

They only do short times these days.

9 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Once all the opinionating is stripped out it is the exchange rate which makes or breaks the the retired expat. Fortunately for myself I am nicely hedged so am not reliant on the Brexit kamikaze pilots looking forwards. Of course my positioning did not anticipate the Brexit event in particular, but rather the knowledge that the British economy has been punctuated over the years by sterling crises. There was a moment, once I was able to move, to take advantage of a relatively strong pound (some time ago) to hedge out on the judgement call that a future crisis would pop up and pop up it has. Forum Brexit supporters may be perfectly happy to take a 12-15% hit on their finances, but we used to have a name for these guys way back when, when activists who hadn't much achieved anything were laying down the line: 'bedsit bullsh!!!ers'.

Edited by SheungWan

2 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

One good thing to come out of Brexit is that the Conservatives have abandoned their commitment to a balanced budget and are now engaged in increased deficit spending. It should have been done years ago but it is helping to sustain the UK economy.

bad for sterling bad for expats