Living in Thailand without a Uni Degree, can it be done ?

Bonobojt

hey, so I'm a 25 year old male from England, I've been to Thailand 4 times in the last 2 years, I love Thailand, the people, the culture, the food, I've also been to many other countries as a solo traveller. at first I was into the Bar Girl scene but now I don't do that anymore and have no interest in it, so I want to make it clear I'm not wanting to live in Thailand because of bar girls and sex. I don't like England much, of course there are great things about living here, free health care and great supermarkets, clean and less pollution. Thai people are friendly and sociable, I can meet people and make new friends so easy in Thailand, unlike in England, I'm the kind of guy that doesn't need much in life, I'm a simple guy. One issue is I don't have a University Degree, and I'm aware that I need this to work in Thailand, I have some Thai friends I met, I got close to 1 girl I met from a dating website, she likes me a lot, she's studying at Uni, 21 years old, she wants to marry me but I'm not keen on that but I read that if you marry a Thai girl you can get the visa to live in Thailand or something ? I have an average job in the UK, no girlfriends, hardly any friends, live with my parents still, not sure what my future is here in England, I think moving to Thailand would be good to me, if its possible ?

Edited by Bonobojt

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 7 years experience working in a kitchen as a kitchen porter or kitchen assistant but that is a job the Thai's can do, maybe my English and the fact I was born and raised in England is the only advantage I have to live and work in Thailand.  

Just now, Bonobojt said:

I have 7 years experience working in a kitchen as a kitchen porter or kitchen assistant but that is a job the Thai's can do, maybe my English and the fact I was born and raised in England is the only advantage I have to live and work in Thailand.  

That's more of a disadvantage. 

You will not be able to get a job here, so, it would be pointless coming to live in Thailand .

That 21 year old Uni girl will just have to find someone else .

Could you give me her contact details ?

I can take up in real life where you left off on line

Of course everything is possible, but honestly it is not easy.

The most important thing is money, when it comes to living in Thailand. If you have the money,  you can always find legal ways to stay here. With no education or special experience, it will be hard for you to find a job here, that can give you a work permit.  

If I was you, and you want to get away for some years, then look at some other countries that are more open to foreigners and where it is easier to stay long-term (maybe also get a job). 

PS. Although I also like Thailand, I can assure you that your views on the place, people etc. will change a lot, once you stay there long-term. And remember the main and only key to surviving long-term in Thailand as a foreigner is MONEY. You run out of that and your time is up.

1 hour ago, Bonobojt said:

If your thinking you can land a job just because you can speak English, sorry It doesn't work like that.

Example: Thai companies don't employ people purely because they can speak English. But a few Thai companies (very limited) do employ in-house English teachers. Whether such companies insist on a degree is an open question case by case. You would need a work permit (connected specifically to the company) regardless of visa connected to marriage or any sort of visa.

All work permits are connected to specific jobs in specific companies. There is no such thing, in Thailand, as a personal work open to work anywhere - it doesn't exist.  

It may be possible to do a 30 day (or similar) course to gain a certificate teach English and then get a job to teach English. Whether you also need a degree to land a job teaching English has 10 different answers and other members can give more details on that point. Don't forget you will need a work permit.

Marriage - take it very slowly, there are many many horror stories on this but many guys let themselves get involved with the wrong girls (as in any country). Also plenty of good stories, but in most cases this probably means knowing the lady well for at least a couple of years before marriage and doing your research well about what Thai females expect from marriage and what their families except from you. It's not the same picture you know from home and it's not going to change. 

But keep in mind that teaching English (except for a few positions - more likely to be in universities, where a masters degree would be needed) doesn't pay all that well, but from my limited knowledge on this, earning 20 - 30,000Baht a month is possible but depends on what classes you are assigned to month by month, etc. Others please comment.

38 minutes ago, khunpa said:

The most important thing is money, when it comes to living in Thailand. If you have the money,  you can always find legal ways to stay here. With no education or special experience, it will be hard for you to find a job here, that can give you a work permit.  

If I was you, and you want to get away for some years, then look at some other countries that are more open to foreigners and where it is easier to stay long-term (maybe also get a job). 

PS. Although I also like Thailand, I can assure you that your views on the place, people etc. will change a lot, once you stay there long-term. And remember the main and only key to surviving long-term in Thailand as a foreigner is MONEY. You run out of that and your time is up.

yes I have been to Vietnam and Cambodia, I really like Vietnam also, maybe I should see if I can work there.

11 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

http://www.accessenglish.org/teaching-english-in-thailand-without-a-degree/

apparently 80% of English Teachers in Thailand are teaching without a degree , if the thai government tried to get rid of them all it would cause problems, according to this link..... 

Bonjobit- I do not believe the 'facts' presented in this commercial blog for a second.  I urge you to investigate further.  For example I know about 50 NES teachers in Thailand- out of those only 2 do not have a degree.  Meanwhile Vietnam is getting tougher rapidly as far as I hear, although Cambodia is still more relaxed, not only in its qualification demands, but also its general lack of officiousness and other lifestyle issues.

Your still young, forget the girl, get a degree back home. Invest in yourself, an education is not something that can be taken away from you easily but once life starts to dictate, then the education will be hard to get. 

Thailand V's an education? no brainer really.

4 hours ago, Bonobojt said:

Born and raised in England. Unfortunately, with globalisation, the natives are no longer in awe of the white man. 

4 hours ago, khunpa said:

I can assure you that your views on the place, people etc. will change a lot, once you stay there long-term. 

That is not necessarily true. I felt the same positive way about the Thais and Thailand after 10 years of living there.

Thailand surly isn't for everyone. Unfortunately, many don't realize this and they just sit around and bad mouth Thailand and Thais. If you stay away from these types of losers, you will be doing yourself and your feeling about Thailand a HUGE favor.

Not saying Khunpa is one of these people.

It's always about a girl from an online dating site. How will you support yourself (and her) ? No degree...no future. 25 years old....wake up man...get some education. Then work for a decade, be frugal, save your quid and then re-assess your plans. 

When I was young I worked as a dish pig (KP), a barman, a post room boy a warehouseman, a porter, and lots of other jobs- none of them stopped me getting my degree. If I had started it later I'm sure I would have just done a better job of it.

I'm not one to push going to University. A university degree is becoming less and less necessary to succeed in life. However, if you want to go out and explore the world beyond being a tourist, a degree or special job skills are going to be very necessary. In this case, it would probably be worth the time and effort.

I was a dropout at school and decided to move to Thailand at age 22. I am now 51 years old and also I still make good money to the average farang that lives in Thailand but things has got tougher.

Thanks Buddha, I got involved in the Software and IT industry in the early years and opened up a lot of doors but the years have changed.

To the OP get a good degree, learn Thai and since you are still young learn a couple of more Asian languages and then make your move to Thailand but remember, to land a good job (150-300k),  connections are very important.

His outlook
Irregardless of him living in Thailand he just needs to visit TV for a while. This will help him discover the kind of people he's up against (his own kind) besides Thais.

Residing here after a short while, we soon get to know the old Thai adage:

No Money - No Honey !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

No Money - No Honey !!!!

Really? Because I have many friends, and myself, who are married to Thais and I assure you, none of us have money.

Perhaps one should look beyond the end of the bar for a mate.