Living in Thailand without a Uni Degree, can it be done ?

Bonobojt

2 hours ago, pgt99 said:

You didn't say what your age was. Why don't you join the army, for example, the Royal Corps of Transport. You will get your HGV in no time plus every type of license you can think of. OK you will have to take some <deleted>. But you will come out with a trade that is hugely in demand and decent dosh in your pocket. You won't be near the front line as canon fodder.  Just an idea.

You might want to give advice that is not 23 years out of date !

The Royal Logistic Corps (RLC) was formed on Monday, 5 April 1993, by the union of five British Army corps:

Royal Engineers Postal and Courier Service

Royal Corps of Transport

Royal Army Ordnance Corps

Royal Pioneer Corps

Army Catering Corps

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are business savvy, and have access to a decent business capital..

consider that.

otherwise.. don't rely on finding a local job here..

if lucky to get a company to accept you (without degree), and pay for your WP...

likely it won't pay well too...

some cases if you convince them to hire you.. they deduct WP related costs... so if you don't already draw a bare minimum pay.... in my opinion... for singles.. about 30k baht nett...

i think it's very very tough to survive... especially with medical in the picture..

it's not a very farang friendly system for medical... unless you're ok with public hospitals ?

how about get a decent job.. save up money.. consider doing business in thailand? and give it a shot? minimum is 2million baht.. but honestly i would budget for 3-4million savings first.

good luck and all the best!

On 10/4/2016 at 10:41 PM, kleelof said:

That is not necessarily true. I felt the same positive way about the Thais and Thailand after 10 years of living there.

Thailand surly isn't for everyone. Unfortunately, many don't realize this and they just sit around and bad mouth Thailand and Thais. If you stay away from these types of losers, you will be doing yourself and your feeling about Thailand a HUGE favor.

Not saying Khunpa is one of these people.

I agree but I'll add another dimension; many folks come here for a holiday and instantly believe they have found utopia.

But of course utopia doesn't exist.

Regardless they rush home, same day they resign their job, sell the old car and use the proceeds for another (probably one way) ticket to quickly get back to utopia.

They move here quickly with no preparation, and then very quickly their bubble bursts and they get angry because their utopia moved / didn't really exist (who moved my cheese).

Edited by scorecard

Reading this topic made me laugh. I know NUMEROUS people, both NES and NNES working in Thailand without a degree teaching English. All paying at least 30,000/month. If you aren't a big drinker and don't hook up with money grubbing whores then you can easily live on that quite comfortably. Can bump that up to 40,000 quite easily with some tutoring. A teacher with a bachelor's is only making 35,000 anyways (I've seen ads requesting NES teachers with degrees only paying 30k). And these aren't at shit schools in Issan. 

Get a TEFL certificate and you'll have no problem getting a job in Thailand. Finding a girlfriend/wife who plays their part in the financial aspect of the relationship is key,if not you're better off single. My wife works, our money is shared and we don't and never will support any of her family members. Live quite comfortably on about 65k/month (once economy recovers a bit her salary will go up by at least 50%)0

On 04/10/2016 at 6:49 PM, Bonobojt said:

Thanks for the replies, yeah I know, I've got a very low chance of working and living in Thailand, which is fine, its not like I was extremely desperate to live in Thailand, but it would be nice. I know I'm lucky to live in a country like England also, what has put me off about getting a degree in the UK is the large debt you get afterwards, plus I am most likely not 'smart' enough to get a degree, I've had a simple job for 7 year's so my brain has got lazy a bit, but I also know that if I want something badly I'll work hard to get it. There are many other countries around the world to see and possibly work in,  Thailand will always be special to me though as it changed my life and changed me as a person and I've made great friends. But I guess you have to move on in life. 

Listen softlad don't be so defeatist. You said it yourself if you want it bad enough you will get it. Your smart enough to realise you have been in a dead end job for 7 years which has dimmed your mind you live at home with your family who I'm guessing would love to see you have a bit of drive about yourself and your honest enough to come on here and take all the crap these old hags have thrown at you. Degrees are worth nothing  tenacity and a desire to succeed is all you need. Most "teachers" in thailand may have a degree but I bet they are mickey mouse media production or english lit degrees.  Total waste of time and as you say; money.

Scuba diving instructor, teacher, English speaking job boards, People perhour (location independent workers) RGIT courses for offshore workers, boiler room sales jobs all kinds of opportunities out there and at 25 you do not need a lot, your young enjoy your life do whatever you want and can do. Don't go back to the kitchen go out and grab a different slice of life and be prepared to try another and another and at some point all those experiences will add upto something much more valuable than a mickey mouse degree. Most of these hags are 50+ with pensions etc, fair play to them but it's not where you are at so follow your heart because I very much doubt it is in a kitchen back home in the  uk. Good luck.

On 05/10/2016 at 2:09 AM, hellohello123 said:

im a 30s guy that has been to thailand about 8 times,

I like thailand, its people (for the most part) the food, the culture, and many aspects of the lifestyle

The bar scene doesnt interest me,

its a great place for a holiday but I have no real interest living there, its still 3rd world for the most part

a lot of people mistake the holiday lifestyle as what everyday lifestle would be

I wouldnt recommend seeking another life by running away,

chances are youre current lifestyle/position in society etc etc arent going to change signficnatly by running to a different country

How do you know that?

His lifestyle consists of living with his folks and working kitchen jobs so actually his lifestyle will change dramatically given both of those elements are not in the equation should he move to Thailand. He will not have the safe haven of his parents on hand he will have to stand up on his own two feet so what on earth are you talking about.

"His position in society"??? 

You enjoy many aspects of the lifestyle? What lifestyle is that then as like you say thailand is "3rd world for the most part"

You mean like on an island or something? 

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

How do you know that?

His lifestyle consists of living with his folks and working kitchen jobs so actually his lifestyle will change dramatically given both of those elements are not in the equation should he move to Thailand. He will not have the safe haven of his parents on hand he will have to stand up on his own two feet so what on earth are you talking about.

"His position in society"??? 

You enjoy many aspects of the lifestyle? What lifestyle is that then as like you say thailand is "3rd world for the most part"

You mean like on an island or something? 

Not too sure whats so hard to understand from my post.

Maybe comprehension isnt your strong suite 

7 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

Not too sure whats so hard to understand from my post.

Maybe comprehension isnt your strong suite 

Lol comprehension not my strong suite?

My remark was pretty clear. Did you not read the OP?

Do you think he is planning on bringing his folks with him and getting a kitchen job? 

OP lives with folks at home. Do you get the hint or would you like me to be more comprehensive?

Would that suit you?

On 10/4/2016 at 7:24 AM, Slip said:

Bonjobit- I do not believe the 'facts' presented in this commercial blog for a second.  I urge you to investigate further.  For example I know about 50 NES teachers in Thailand- out of those only 2 do not have a degree.  Meanwhile Vietnam is getting tougher rapidly as far as I hear, although Cambodia is still more relaxed, not only in its qualification demands, but also its general lack of officiousness and other lifestyle issues.

What exactly is a lack of officiousness?

I do love watching the blind lead the blind.

3 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Funny how it's always people without a degree who tell you how worthless they are.

My mickey mouse degree has come in very handy over the years - and helped me make a lot of money.

Oh really so your degree has allowed you to make money  what degree would that be mickey?

2 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Oh really so your degree has allowed you to make money  what degree would that be mickey?

What would that prove? You'd just tell me you think it's worthless - or that I'm lying. 

I know it's been beneficial to me. I'm sure lots of other people feel the same way about theirs. Why do you feel the need to attack those with an education?

2 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

What would that prove? You'd just tell me you think it's worthless - or that I'm lying. 

I know it's been beneficial to me. I'm sure lots of other people feel the same way about theirs. Why do you feel the need to attack those with an education?

2 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

Just a guess Soi, but maybe you got your degree 30+ years ago and maybe it is applicable to your chosen/past profession. I think you have misunderstood the term Mickey Mouse. Its a fairly new term in relation to the growing number of degrees that have been created where it has been shown that many of the degrees attained were not used for their relevant field. So if you read my post more carefully you may have noted I used Media production and english lit as two examples. If you had said you said your degree was in engineering and you were a consultant in engineering well that would not be what is regarded as a mickey mouse course. Hope that is a bit more clearer for you but if not google the term Mickey Mouse Degree and educate yourself a bit more. 

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

Just a guess Soi, but maybe you got your degree 30+ years ago and maybe it is applicable to your chosen/past profession. I think you have misunderstood the term Mickey Mouse. Its a fairly new term in relation to the growing number of degrees that have been created where it has been shown that many of the degrees attained were not used for their relevant field. So if you read my post more carefully you may have noted I used Media production and english lit as two examples. If you had said you said your degree was in engineering and you were a consultant in engineering well that would not be what is regarded as a mickey mouse course. Hope that is a bit more clearer for you but if not google the term Mickey Mouse Degree and educate yourself a bit more. 

I understood your post perfectly. I didn't get it that long ago - and I'm certain that you would regard it as a 'Mickey Mouse' degree. 

25 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

There are a lot of degrees that are limited in regards to practicality within a working environment, but at least having a degree shows employers that an applicant was able to commit to a long term endeavor and complete it. A decent percentage of people choose to study a subject they enjoy/have an interest in rather than one that will secure a direct career path. Many students also are not sure what career they want to settle down with in the future due mostly to limited life experiences before choosing a subject.

1 hour ago, SoiBiker said:

I understood your post perfectly. I didn't get it that long ago - and I'm certain that you would regard it as a 'Mickey Mouse' degree. 

Err no, if you are earning a living as a direct result of your degree then I do not think that can be regarded as mickey mouse. But on the same note you stating you had an unbelievable degree in your previous post where no one would believe you. That statement erred towards you not having a MM but now your certain if you did disclose said degree it would be regarded as MM. 

Listen stop making this a different topic this is about a guy who himself does not favour uni education due to his own admissions and concerns and the truth is my academical acquaintance that a uni education is simply not the only pathway to a rewarding career it is an option and one that has become so diverse and widespread that employers are looking  beyond that and a very popular method is now taking place where a student takes a year out during 2nd year and gains applicable experience related to their degree as a means of providing a gilted edge to their CV. 

Degree v Real life experiences. I think the answer is obvious and to the other academic that piped up  yes it shows you committed to a degree and yes your correct 18 is way too young for many to make decisions about ones career path. So staying in education for the purpose of committing to something whilst you are unsure of your career choice is regarded by employers as a plus. I guess it is I guess it shows you tow the line and you will not be any issue and you can knuckle down whilst you have no clue what to do and your parents advice had nothing to do with it or evenue their wrath. Safe bet perhaps. I like the more riskier options myself you know like going it alone, creating your own career that kind of thing so maybe that is why I opted not to go to a lesser known redbrick in Staffordshire but more likely i just did not fancy studying books at that stage in my life. No one's saying degrees are not worthwhile and what do studies suggest which not many individuals have the balls to admit?

44% of degree holders wished they had attained a more vocational or hands on degree which would directly benefit them for their future employment. 

An academic education v vocational experience tenacity and common sense. Easy win for vocation for the most part.

That's my opinion and btw I got something called NVQ level 6 in management and leadership I think I may have ran out of toilet roll once and used it as loo paper, I can't remember.

12 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

44% of degree holders wished they had attained a more vocational or hands on degree which would directly benefit them for their future employment. 

Ironic that you'd quote a statistic like that when one of the degrees you chose as an example of 'Mickey mouse-ness' is actually a vocational degree. 

It's pretty clear you made a knee-jerk statement based on some kind of prejudice against education, which you're now struggling to justify. I'd stop digging if I were you. 

Ignore all the negative Nancys on this site. Anybody can come here with no degree, money or plan to get a visa that allows them to stay longer than a month. There is a common misperception on this website that somehow Thailand doesn't need more unskilled, penniless Farangs, willing to get married with no means to support themselves. 

The reality is anything is possible and you can easily succeed and become more successful than you were back home all through completely legal and normal means. I would start in Pattaya. Find a girl working in a bar and then open your own bar. In the mean time take a TEFL course. With in 6 weeks you own a legit asset, have a wife, become a pillar of the community, and have all of the contacts you need to succeed.

Now I will warn you this isn't the route I went but many people assure me it can be easily done out on highway 61.

I know people who have got into exporting goods out of Thailand and selling them on which has supported them financially. Things are much cheaper in Thailand which sell for a lot more in England. Or team up with a Thai person and open a business of some sort. However, have your wits about you and don't be another statistic of those who have lost everything after handing their money over to a Thai wife and their so called 'brother' or whatever - Happens far too often!

The laws have changed since I lived in Thailand I think - Are border runs not allowed now? 

Ironic that you'd quote a statistic like that when one of the degrees you chose as an example of 'Mickey mouse-ness' is actually a vocational degree. 

It's pretty clear you made a knee-jerk statement based on some kind of prejudice against education, which you're now struggling to justify. I'd stop digging if I were you. 

Soi it sounds good it looks good but I am afraid to say you speak complete  tripe on this matter and your full of BS and that is completely clear to me. You like to come on here and take exception to whatever you fancy and I'm guessing you do it based on your feeling at the time so the real irony here is your testament that I am reacting wirh a knee jerk intent when in actual fact you are, and your evasiveNess about your degree, when you obtained it and your belief that you understood the term Mickey Mouse when clearly you did not. Says it all. I tried to dig pal but I hit a clunky piece of metal it was you and your rusty and incapable of being wrong on any front it would appear. So let's get the scorecards out and I'll take this one for today thank you Mickey.

2 hours ago, phuturatica said:

I know people who have got into exporting goods out of Thailand and selling them on which has supported them financially. Things are much cheaper in Thailand which sell for a lot more in England. Or team up with a Thai person and open a business of some sort. However, have your wits about you and don't be another statistic of those who have lost everything after handing their money over to a Thai wife and their so called 'brother' or whatever - Happens far too often!

The laws have changed since I lived in Thailand I think - Are border runs not allowed now? 

Wow, a blast from the past, I remember you.

I hope you have turned your life around, you were a top poster.

Still got your red hair?

The border runners are a thing of the past, and contary to popular beliefs held here, Thailand didnt implode when they left.

Let's tot up the scores, shall we?

Knows what he's talking about -  SoiBiker 1 - Rc2702 0

Can construct a sentence - Soibiker 1 - Rc2702 0

Nice try, but looks like this one got away from you. Maybe next time. 

Lol I will give you one for that as that actually made me snigger which is a rarity. You know the score so give your knees and thumbs a rest for the day and try to squint a bit harder so you can actually read the posts a bit more carefully in future. I must say I'm impressed you have turned a corner your not so much a one line warrior of late and a degree in BS is a new one and I'm sure you got a masters in it too.

Forget English teaching.  Try freelancing instead.  :smile:  I sell various services to small online businesses.  I simply make some cold calls and blast out some emails until I make a sale.  Simplicity at it's finest!  Every sale I make about 20,000+ Baht with subscriptions coming in every so often.  If a client doesn't pay their invoice, I send in the debt collectors(me).   Remember folks, a deal is a deal no matter how small the fine print is.

Edited by jamie2016

I just received a new credit card payment.  Yet another satisfied client!  We've been serving clients for years now and have never  had a single credit card chargeback in our distinguished business history.  In fact, we've only had one PayPal account since day one.  Now accepting new customers!  :smile:

16 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Maybe you should Google it first?

Fairly new? If you consider at least 29 years ago "fairly new".

"Marine slang meaning anything stupid or senseless (as used in the 1987 Stanley Kubrick film Full Metal Jacket)"

"

Full Definition of Mickey Mouse

1:  too easy, small, ineffective, or unimportant to be taken seriously <Mickey Mouse courses><a Mickey Mouse operation>"

No mention there of it relating to any course that was not later referred back to.

Edited by muzmurray