EU plan to counter Brexit: give teenagers free InterRail tickets

webfact

EU plan to counter Brexit: give teenagers free InterRail tickets

Brussels will consider the proposal by MEPs which is seen as a way of rekindling enthusiasm for the European project

LONDON: -- The Euopean Union will consider giving all Europeans a free continental rail pass for their 18th birthday but officials said the idea faces numerous obstacles.

“We admire the boldness and the level of ambition, and we are ready to explore it further,” transport commissioner Violeta Bulc told the European Parliament on Tuesday in a response to a resolution backed by lawmakers, including the main conservative bloc.

They say free InterRail tickets – typically month-long passes letting young people travel across Europe’s rail network at will – could rekindle enthusiasm for the European Union and bring youngsters together to counter the rising nationalism seen in Britain’s vote to quit the bloc and in many other countries.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/05/eu-plan-to-counter-brexit-give-teenagers-free-interrail-tickets

-- The Guardian 2016-10-05

Just what is needed for more terrorists to travel across Europe. great thinking EU. no wonder everyone wants out. This is another stupid attempt at travelling across the EU without checks.

'Learning to cherish each other'. These clowns do not get it. The immigrants in Europe do not cherish other just themselves.

29 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Just what is needed for more terrorists to travel across Europe. great thinking EU. no wonder everyone wants out. This is another stupid attempt at travelling across the EU without checks.

'Learning to cherish each other'. These clowns do not get it. The immigrants in Europe do not cherish other just themselves.

Do you live in Thailand? You are also an immigrant if you do. Of course you should be allowed to travel wherever you want but the millions of refugees, who are a consequence of the West's wars of economic conquest in Afghanistan and Iraq, should be left to starve and die in Syria etc. People like you are disgusting hypocrites. 

I think what Germany has done is wonderful. They have opened their country to help ease the refugee crisis in Syria and Afghanistan. Britain's withdrawal from the EU shows that the old imperial attitudes (just like yours) are still prevalent today.

Perhaps you should re consider your immigrant status here and return back to isolation? 

Wait there. Another question if I may be so bold. Are you married to a Thai? That would be you such a hypocrite that its hard to think of words to describe...

Yes I work in Thailand. Yes I am married to a Thai. I am British. My wife is Thai. I work here as I have all the correct paper work and qualifications and experience to work in the job I did in the UK. Hypocrite never. I don't believe in the free movement of people across countries, especially from different cultures who can't assimilate. Most of the immigrants are economic migrants, like myself, except I have covered Thailand laws and regulations. I suggest you get of your high horse. If you feel Germany has done a wonderful thing then step back and watch. The people of Germany have had enough just like the people of the UK. It is not about just migrants it is about getting the right ones in for the benefit of the country. There are so many in the EU and the UK who are not from war torn countries so pulling the heart strings doesn't work.

If you believe we can all hold hands singing Kum Ba Yah with Allah Akbar then you are delusional.

Just now, Ace of Pop said:

What a stupid post.Ferangs here bring wealth,they are not Financial Asylum Seekers looking for handoutsI. I've Said many times they can wandered easily into Portugal but don't cause they get nothing whatsoever free

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

So very true I have paid tax here for a long time not to mention the economic impact from my spending. I can't get free schools, housing or health care like those are getting in my birth country. If I don't work I have to leave the country or stump up enough money to show I can stay and support my wife.

2 hours ago, claffey said:

Do you live in Thailand? You are also an immigrant if you do. Of course you should be allowed to travel wherever you want but the millions of refugees, who are a consequence of the West's wars of economic conquest in Afghanistan and Iraq, should be left to starve and die in Syria etc. People like you are disgusting hypocrites. 

I think what Germany has done is wonderful. They have opened their country to help ease the refugee crisis in Syria and Afghanistan. Britain's withdrawal from the EU shows that the old imperial attitudes (just like yours) are still prevalent today.

Perhaps you should re consider your immigrant status here and return back to isolation? 

Wait there. Another question if I may be so bold. Are you married to a Thai? That would be you such a hypocrite that its hard to think of words to describe...

Yous have tried very hard to find the words, we are also happy with Angela Merkel, just don't pass the immigrants on to the U/K, her idea so sort it.

Oh yes I am also married to a Thai.

So you are all against the free movement of people? So go home to your island! What do British immigrants bring here? Because most of them are in Pattaya with their 20 year old Bar girl brides. Really quality immigrants they are! If you want to generalise about immigrants in Britain I'll generalise about the Brits here... Not all immigrants in Europe are asylum seekers(actually only a small percentage) . In fact the vast majority of immigrants in every EU country are from other EU countries. eg the country with the highest amount of immigrants in Ireland is the UK! Poland is second...

I still struggle to understand your right wing views about immigrants when you are all immigrants yourselves? Perhaps you should start calling them asylum seekers instead of immigrants? They are very different you know. 

3 hours ago, claffey said:

I'm off to Italy to collect all my freebies. Those Romans were nasty blighters when they invaded and destroyed parts of my homeland,

Afghans and Iraqis left to starve in Syria - what are you on about? Afghans, Iraqis and Syrians should remain in their own country and try and sort out the mess that centuries of bitter tribal, racial and radical religious sects differences have created. They can't seem to do that on their own - well tough shit. 

Germany, or Merkel to be precise has too agendas - she though she'd be feted and awarded for her wonderful humanitarian acts and also solve Germany's potential low end labor shortage projections. Sadly she never bothered to think of the cultural, logistical or financial costs; or more importantly to ask her own parliament, people or those of other countries she decided should also take quotas.

The refugees - many of which are simply illegal economic migrants hoping for a better economic future at someone else's expense, have little to no intentions of ever changing or assimilating and will quite happily carry on their old behavior and culture and turn their new homes into replicas of their home country. 

Stop blaming the West for other countries failures. Their political, religious and social cultures are their reasons for failures. Notice you don't comment on the total lack of support from the very wealthy fellow Moslem countries. No, these countries know exactly what these others are and will not allow them in. 

But again the bleeding heart liberals love self flagellation.

3 hours ago, claffey said:

You gotta be kidding...such ignorance.

59 minutes ago, claffey said:

I still struggle to understand your right wing views about immigrants when you are all immigrants yourselves? Perhaps you should start calling them asylum seekers instead of immigrants? They are very different you know. 

No we are NON-immigrants , it says so in our passport.

OK so maybe we can look at what the proposal is really about.  There is a lot of discontent in the EU especially amongst the young.  It is cracking at the seams and slowly but surely falling apart.  They need to try to rally people around and promote the positives of being part of the open borders for EU members.

1 hour ago, claffey said:

So you are all against the free movement of people? So go home to your island! What do British immigrants bring here? Because most of them are in Pattaya with their 20 year old Bar girl brides. Really quality immigrants they are! If you want to generalise about immigrants in Britain I'll generalise about the Brits here... Not all immigrants in Europe are asylum seekers(actually only a small percentage) . In fact the vast majority of immigrants in every EU country are from other EU countries. eg the country with the highest amount of immigrants in Ireland is the UK! Poland is second...

Right wing views are about weird reality; left wing views are about weird ideals.

We all have two legs (well most of us).  We have a left leg and a right leg. This makes progress possible when walking.  It's a bit like the world we live in, if everyone only had a right leg or a left leg then we would all have to hop everywhere falling over all the time which would be pretty pathetic.  Better then that we have left and right, at least for some balance.

Can't believe I wrote that whilst sober!

5 hours ago, claffey said:

We are NOT immigrants we're visitors, either on holiday or working. Try putting "Immigrant" on you next visa application.

The Thais put their own people first. Outsiders are welcome to work (with a permit) or they can visit providing they have the necessary funds. There's no dole money, free housing, medical treatment for visitors, if you can't pay they kick you out. That's why you don't see hoards of refugees trying to break through the borders of this place. Yes, you see a good many drunken mongers here but the money comes out of their own pocket, usually after a lifetime of hard work.

There's absolutely no parallel between the immigrants in Europe and us people who pay our own way in Thailand.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

I'm off to Italy to collect all my freebies. Those Romans were nasty blighters when they invaded and destroyed parts of my homeland,

Afghans and Iraqis left to starve in Syria - what are you on about? Afghans, Iraqis and Syrians should remain in their own country and try and sort out the mess that centuries of bitter tribal, racial and radical religious sects differences have created. They can't seem to do that on their own - well tough shit. 

Germany, or Merkel to be precise has too agendas - she though she'd be feted and awarded for her wonderful humanitarian acts and also solve Germany's potential low end labor shortage projections. Sadly she never bothered to think of the cultural, logistical or financial costs; or more importantly to ask her own parliament, people or those of other countries she decided should also take quotas.

The refugees - many of which are simply illegal economic migrants hoping for a better economic future at someone else's expense, have little to no intentions of ever changing or assimilating and will quite happily carry on their old behavior and culture and turn their new homes into replicas of their home country. 

Stop blaming the West for other countries failures. Their political, religious and social cultures are their reasons for failures. Notice you don't comment on the total lack of support from the very wealthy fellow Moslem countries. No, these countries know exactly what these others are and will not allow them in. 

But again the bleeding heart liberals love self flagellation.

How embarrassing! I blame poor UK educational standards; history and English grammar are lamentable!

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

We all have two legs (well most of us).  We have a left leg and a right leg. This makes progress possible when walking.  It's a bit like the world we live in, if everyone only had a right leg or a left leg then we would all have to hop everywhere falling over all the time which would be pretty pathetic.  Better then that we have left and right, at least for some balance.

Neither can I... funny though ....:stoner:

4 hours ago, claffey said:

I think you will find we are actually non-immigrants here is Thailand, have a look at your visa, the chances of getting residency and becoming an immigrant here are not very high, so we are all not immigrants and could be asked to leave at a moments notice. Yes married to a Thai lady and dont get any handouts from the Thai Government, surprisingly enough I have to pay my way.

What I suspect gets up a lot of peoples noses in the countries of Europe is that all these supposed immigrants look fit to work but dont want to in a lot of cases, what they do want is free housing and money to spend, in other words a free ride through life at someones elses expense, its not surprising that tax payers ( I am still one ) think that this has got to stop its getting out of hand.

5 hours ago, claffey said:

You really need to go outside, sit down and have a word with yourself.

What a strange title. The Dutch newspapers mention that this plan would be to promote youth feeling connected with Europe, more European and thus perhaps more positive about the EU. Since the UK is leaving this plan would not have any effect on the Brexit. So it's a rather silly headline if UK papers meant to say that the EU conjured up this idea to promote the EU and lessen the chanche of other members wishing to exit the EU. 

As for the plan, it's silly and most parties in the parlaiment seem to agree. Costly, hardly will have any effect and the money is better spent on other things such as better railways, public transport, education etc.  I agree. Europe is lovely, what the EU stands for (unity) is great but the EU has some flaws (needs more transparancy, needs to get more things done and get memberstate to be less about personal gain for the state which sadly seems to be what many members are after). But to make youth even more positive about what the EU stands for they need to make the EU more effective and fair. 

The Europeans (Or continentals I suppose we may now have to call them) recognise that the young of the UK who voted stay got rogered by a bunch of sad old imperialists, many of who believed what they read in the "Mail" and the "Sun" - yes their brains are really that tiny. It is refreshing to read Mr Claffey's human and informed comments. UK Immigrants are not all looking for free handouts, they do in fact make a significant overall contribution to the economy,  the evidence of this is indisputable. I wonder how many of the bold expat Brexiteers whose pension Pound is now worth 44 Bhats not the 55 it was a year ago realise that they shot themselves in the foot?

14 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Intended recipients will be a country's youths who have reached the age of 18 years and who can show ID to prove who they are. I don't see where you make the connection with immigrants or terrorists come to that.

8 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Not helpful when the left leg is protruding from the hip at a 90-degree angle and won't bend, no matter what.