Gas Stations Allowed To Be Open Round-the-clock

george

The Red numbe plate thing is a con. Watch also for companies putting "false" ones on to save money. This happened to me and I had to pay a fine (which toyota refunded.. lol, it was cheaper than a real registration). The nighttime thing has been enforced on me a few times, but again, it's about making some "tea money" for the local constabulary. Business as usual!!

Lecter

/URL removed as per the FORUM RULES.

thaivisa.com moderators.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About time this ridiculous idea was scrapped, that it took a coup to enable this says a lot about the previous government.

I had the misfortune to run out of fuel near a gas station in Rayong province in the early hours several months ago, and I wasn't alone in having to wait until 5am before being able to continue on my journey. How did that save fuel? It just resulted in inconvenience to me and many Thais for no good reason. I had a flight to catch the next morning too, fortunately I still had enough time to make it, but could have quite easily not.

happened to me twice in Pattaya when I was still living in Ban Chang - once when they introduced the midnight closure and then just after they closed at 10 pm. It saved no energy, but supported the local bar and hotel industry a lot... :o

Twice I ran out of gas, and had to leave my car where it was and take a taxi home.

So basically, the taxi had to use gas (LPG probably) to bring me home, and then use gas to take me back to my car the next day. For me personally, this law actually caused me to use more energy not less.

This is great to hear, and gives a lot of creditability to the new government that they are going to get rid of some of these worthless laws that were though up by the ignorant last administration.

I had the misfortune to run out of fuel near a gas station in Rayong province in the early hours several months ago, and I wasn't alone in having to wait until 5am before being able to continue on my journey.

To All You Nice People Who Run Out Of Gas

"Misfortune" has nothing to do with it Konangrit. How can anyone claim to be unlucky by running out of fuel? I can't understand it. Even if the gas stations close at 10 p.m. it takes only a little bit of forethought to keep the tank full.

It's no more expensive to maintain a full gas tank as to run on 'empty' most of the time.

Edited by Artisan

Well, even if ones fills up just before 10:00 pm, how long to drive until the tank is empty?

Take BKK-Phuket or BKK - Chiangmai.

Not a problem Axel. If you want to drive mainly through the night then fill to the brim before 10 p.m. and then start your journey after midnight, say about 1 a.m. Depending on the car, you should be able to drive, at least 500 km before the gas stations open....and still with fuel to spare.

Well, even if ones fills up just before 10:00 pm, how long to drive until the tank is empty?

Not a problem Axel. If you want to drive mainly through the night then fill to the brim before 10 p.m. and then start your journey after midnight, say about 1 a.m. Depending on the car, you should be able to drive, at least 500 km before the gas stations open....and still with fuel to spare.

great .................

you wait BEFORE ,

instead of AFTER .............

wow :o

For the next 9 months, you'll be getting as common sense a government that is possible in Thailand. They have gotten some really smart people and independent thinkers who were sidelined by Thaksin and put them in the position of power, basically to right some wrongs. Pity is that they won't be around for longer, to actually do some good things for the longer term.

After the next elections...it will be business as usual.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised the "Thaksin is Good, Thaksin is Great" squad haven't challenged this post and even further surprised by their lack of attention to this thread. I'm sure if they could dig far enough that they could find some apologetic manner in which to somehow put a good convoluted spin on this leftover from the regime that has been finally put into the rubbish bin.

:o

Edited by sriracha john

A full Sonic motorbike tank gets you 170 km, you gas-guzzlers!

A full Sonic motorbike tank gets you 170 km, you gas-guzzlers!

Who wants to drive Bangkok to Chiang Rai or Bangkok to Phuket on a Sonic?

I had the misfortune to run out of fuel near a gas station in Rayong province in the early hours several months ago, and I wasn't alone in having to wait until 5am before being able to continue on my journey.

"Misfortune" has nothing to do with it Konangrit. How can anyone claim to be unlucky by running out of fuel? I can't understand it. Even if the gas stations close at 10 p.m. it takes only a little bit of forethought to keep the tank full.

It's no more expensive to maintain a full gas tank as to run on 'empty' most of the time.

LOL, so it was a good idea as it punished people like me who forgot to fill up before 10PM? As it happened I didn't even decide to go to Rayong until after 10PM, but serves me right for being spontaneous, as I should have had my future planned out down to the minutest detail such as you do.

Not a problem Axel. If you want to drive mainly through the night then fill to the brim before 10 p.m. and then start your journey after midnight, say about 1 a.m.

So you still have to wait at the gas station for 3 hours before you can continue your journey? Makes more sense to me to continue the journey immediately and wait at the other end for 3 hours, with the chance of finding somewhere open after hours along the way.

atlast good sense prevails . actually i didnt understand the logic behind keeping the petrol stations closedbetween 10 to 5. it made the lines at gas stations longer and i think actually it didnt save any petrol. WHY DONT THEY SHUT ALTERNATE LIGHTS AT THE EXPRESSWAYS I THINK THAT WILL SAVE THEM A LOT MORE ENERGY THAN HARASSING CITIZENS WITH ABSURD RULES. PLEASE GIVE IT A THOUGHT THE MOTORWAY FROM BKK TO CHONBURI , EXPRESSWAYS IN BANGKOK ARE ALL DAZZLING WITH LIGHTS EVEN IN THE WEE HOURS OF NIGHT.

You think they thought of wiring it that way when I found and electric socket installed 30 cm. above my bathtub?

From One Ridiculous Rule to another.

Can someone tell me why when you buy a new car in Thailand you cannot drive it after sunset because of its red number plate, I got stopped at the toll gates on the motorway last weekend on the way home to Pattaya (from BKK) and I had to park my car and wait till sunrise or pay the guy and under-the-clipboard fine.

When I buy a new car, I want to drive it all hours, just like the pick-up that has a white plate and is so old and bent out of shape that a scrap yard would reject it.

Can someone explain the rule behind this - as they promote - Amazing Thailand

Stupid red plates, been driving for 27 years and they treat you like a new driver limiting your driving hours and provincial border crossings when buying buy a new car, why don't they just let you transfer your old plates? :o A scam benefiting the plate manufacturer?

LOL, so it was a good idea as it punished people like me who forgot to fill up before 10PM? As it happened I didn't even decide to go to Rayong until after 10PM, but serves me right for being spontaneous, as I should have had my future planned out down to the minutest detail such as you do.
Not a problem Axel. If you want to drive mainly through the night then fill to the brim before 10 p.m. and then start your journey after midnight, say about 1 a.m.

So you still have to wait at the gas station for 3 hours before you can continue your journey? Makes more sense to me to continue the journey immediately and wait at the other end for 3 hours, with the chance of finding somewhere open after hours along the way.

Not at all Konangrit...it's not about planning one's future but about keeping one's gas tank full.

Wait at the gas station??? :o He11 no!!! You go back home and have, at least, another 3 hours kip. Who wants to wait at a gas station??

Not at all Konangrit...it's not about planning one's future but about keeping one's gas tank full.

Wait at the gas station??? :o He11 no!!! You go back home and have, at least, another 3 hours kip. Who wants to wait at a gas station??

How do you go home with no fuel? i.e. That is your final destination.

Edited by konangrit

very simple answer....as a habit I always took gas on my way back from Pattaya to Ban Chang as most of the gas stations are on the left side of the road driving this direction. Being not aware that this new rule has just been enforced, I was stuck in Pattaya.

I was also stuck in Bangkok twice, ok, blame it on bad planning, but if you rush from one meeting to the next and have a function in the evening there is not much time to stop at gas stations in between - you are rather trying to minimize delays due to unexpected traffic. No, gas stations are NEVER available if traffic is really bad and you could stand five minutes refilling the gas tank instead of waiting for that cop to return from his cigarette break to switch the light back to green...

[/rant]

proof

OK, you guys can run out of gas and I can run out of responses to some of your inane postings. What is certain is that at least one other poster on this thread will continue to run out of gas even when the gas stations are open 24 hours.

Edited by Artisan

OK, you guys can run out of gas and I can run out of responses to some of your inane postings. What is certain is that at least one other poster on this thread will continue to run out of gas even when the gas stations are open 24 hours.

sorry mate ,

you got dibs on inanity .............. :o

Well, interesting comments. I still prefer to fill up when I want or need to.

AND, to leave when I want, let's say 5:00 pm out of Bangkok to bet the rush hour and to be well on my way. But than have to wait somewhere for a gasoline stand to open?

No thank you.

Now let me get this straight...is someone suggesting I fill up before 10 if I plan to travel at night?

So I fill up at 10 then drive for until my red light comees on at about 450/500 KM and it's 3 am...what do I do then?

Edited by wilko

Now let me get this straight...is someone suggesting I fill up before 10 if I plan to travel at night?

So I fill up at 10 then drive for until my red light comees on at about 450/500 KM and it's 3 am...what do I do then?

you left too early ............... :o

Ok...my meetings on Samui at 9.00am

Stations open at 6.00 OK?

So no matter what time I leave I can't do more than 450 km of the 800, which leaves me 3.5 hours (averaging 100kmph, which isn't likely as it's 10 over the limit!)to get to the ferry and cross over and then get the meeting, so which ever way you look at it plaanning or no planning I have to sit and twiddle my thumbs waiting to refuel.

Edited by wilko