Where's The Coolest Place To Live All Year Round In Thailand?

Riley'sLife

I'm trying to find somewhere I don't need to escape from, in the heat of the summer. Right now I live in Songkhla. During the rainy season it's fine- 28-31C in the day and 25-27C at night, -slightly less when it's just been raining. It gets way too hot from March through to August down here. I got heatstroke last year, and I'm dreading the coming summer. So, where's the coolest place to live all year round in Thailand?

I don't mind being in the boonies at all, provided I can get to buy farang supplies within a couple of hours drive or less. Maybe up north in Chiang Mai/ Rai? ... in the hills around Khao Yai National Park? Northern Isaan? Where in Thailand is it cool (or even cold) in the winter, and not so hot (ie max 28C) in the summer?

Any ideas guys?

Try this web site, you can click on most cities and get yearly comparisons.

http://www.wunderground.com/global/TH.html

I've just moved to Ma Kham outside of Chantaburi. One reason is the cooler nites, cooler than BGK by 2 deg. C. Lots of rain, but decent infrastructure, close to beaches, in the foothills between coastal plain and Soi Dau mountain range.

You will not find a max. 28 degrees in Thailand in hot season. The coolest place in hot season is around where u r now. The south gets a more stable tropical temp year round. The east coast is coolest coz it gets the breeze off the ocean.

You could try around Betong or the area nw of Nakhon sri tammarat city

Thanks for all the ideas and info folks. Teletiger you paint a romantic scene. You must be near the northern entrance to Khao Yai Nat Park. What a lovely area that is too. What temperatures do you have in the summer there? Gary I'll be sure and PM you if I get up your way. Thanks very much for your offer. There were some stunning views driving down to Loie town from the north (Chiang Khan) that I remember after our trip to the Mekong a few years ago.

btate the link you provided is great .. it's factual with relative humidity info too- many thx.

Looks like I've got some more travelling to do over Xmas and New Year to check out all the places people have mentioned.

If anyone has more information of any year round cooler micro-climates within LOS please post here.

Thanks again all.

Hi, Mr Riley. On your way up north, look around Khao Sok Nat'l Park. Rainforest, waterfalls and streams for fishing. Lots of birds and wildlife. Probably within 2 hours to Surat Thani for shopping. Also close to Ranong for visa runs if you need, and Sophon's Hideaway restaurant for fab food.

If you like the idea of Chiang Mai but don't like the pollution/congestion problems, come up to the most beautiful place in Thailand, Pai.

A lovely little town within easy shopping distance of Chaing Mai, friendly locals and some falang but not too many and the climate is as close to perfect as you could get in Thailand. today I am wearing a pullover but the sun is shining so it will be warm later in the day....

No beach here but no brothels or Tuk Tuks either, excellent accomodation available and now we have four banks!!

I would second Pai as a very nice place, but i do have to say when i passed through there a good few years ago, it was the hottest April they had ever had, with temps upto 40c, and when i was there i couldnt find anywhere with aircon :o but i expect there have been a few changes now :D

I was riding a motorbike and it was so hot i actually got burnt through a long sleeve shirt, and when i stopped i noticed wet patches all over my upper arms, turned out i had completely blistered and ended up getting Doctors out to sort me :D and so having no aircon was a bloody nightmare

Frankly, I think Isaan is perfect, if you avoid the hot season (from January thru December).... :o

Esaan? hel_l no! It's one of the hottest places in Thailand. There's a district there that is considered to be the HOTTEST in all provinces of Thailand. I don't mean this to be an insult, but haven't you noticed that most Esaan people have dark skin? I'm assuming it's because of hot weather and too much sun. What do you reckon?

Edited by webster13b

Frankly, I think Isaan is perfect, if you avoid the hot season (from January thru December).... :o

Esaan? hel_l no! It's one of the hottest places in Thailand. There's a district there that is considered to be the HOTTEST in all provinces of Thailand. I don't mean this to be an insult, but haven't you noticed that most Esaan people have dark skin? I'm assuming it's because of hot weather and too much sun. What do you reckon?

If you look at his post carefully, you might notice that toptuan was having a little joke at your expense! :D

:D Loei.

Where is it in thailand?just on my way back to thailand lived there for 8 years, but not on the main land though,... 2 years ago since i left ..currentely in the uk...

looking at doing a reaserch on houses. would love to live back in thailand again for good..

got any ideas of where to go?but what is going on with the visa thing?can I stay there for longer then 6 months???so manny different answers if you can or if you cant..making my head spinn :D:o

some tell me I can get a non imigrant visa..hmmm any one knows the thruth?

on the visa pages from the embassy it used to say not long ago ..

underneethe the req for the visa...

~visiting friends..

wheres that gonne?

can I get a visa ??/

please help guys..

I have been planning to go back for the last 2 years but couldent cause of ilness in the family...now im selling up and going asp..like in a few weeks..

PLEASE HELP

THANK YOU

:D Loei.

Where is it in thailand?just on my way back to thailand lived there for 8 years, but not on the main land though,... 2 years ago since i left ..currentely in the uk...

looking at doing a reaserch on houses. would love to live back in thailand again for good..

got any ideas of where to go?but what is going on with the visa thing?can I stay there for longer then 6 months???so manny different answers if you can or if you cant..making my head spinn :D:o

some tell me I can get a non imigrant visa..hmmm any one knows the thruth?

on the visa pages from the embassy it used to say not long ago ..

underneethe the req for the visa...

~visiting friends..

wheres that gonne?

can I get a visa ??/

please help guys..

I have been planning to go back for the last 2 years but couldent cause of ilness in the family...now im selling up and going asp..like in a few weeks..

PLEASE HELP

THANK YOU

Just to set your mind at rest I just got yet another non imm 'o' visa for visiting my imaginary friends and family, so don't worry they still issue them, but its still a catagory but not displayed. I got mine issued in olde faithfull Hull, England. Nowhere near thailand will issue them! Though but some say Singapore does :D

Back on Topic, Cool places in Thailand???

There all cool for cats man, but if you let the heat get in then its hotter than hel_l out there :D

Chang Mais my groove, we've just got rid of a load of tourists and its nice and quiet again.:D

Until the next lot arrive that is! :D

But seriously that hot season is ripping hot! I was sat in a bar, sat rock still in Chang Mai one time and the sweat was pouring off me... this was at nine o' clock at night!!!!