Private city bus operators want government to waive their 400 million baht debt

webfact

Private city bus operators want government to waive their 400 million baht debt

21dfb74fb1a3241790c092219e29fb56-wpcf_72

BANGKOK: -- Seventy-five private bus operators providing bus service in Bangkok under the supervision of the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority have asked the government to waive their 400 million baht debt owed to the state.

Mrs Pattharavadi Klomcharoon, chair of the city bus operators association, blamed the debt incurred by bus operators on confusion of the government’s policy regarding the private bus operators.

Operations of the private bus operators are to be overhauled and their operating licenses to be suspended after the cabinet decided to transfer the responsibility to supervise their operations from BMTA to the Land Transport Department.

The 75 bus operators were given a briefing about the changes which are to take place from the switch of supervisory responsibility from BMTA to Land Transport Department.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/private-city-bus-operators-want-government-waive-400-million-baht-debt/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-06

that is like a taxi driver asking the government to pay for the vehicle lol

why should the tax payer invest in a private business were they will see absolutely nothing in return

why should the tax payer give money to these people when it is obvious they either have no idea how to run a business or have simply creamed off the profits and made no attempt to pay off the debt or both 

you gotta wonder sometimes just how these people thjnk 

2 hours ago, smedly said:

why should the tax payer invest in a private business were they will see absolutely nothing in return

why should the tax payer give money to these people when it is obvious they either have no idea how to run a business or have simply creamed off the profits and made no attempt to pay off the debt or both 

Isn't this indicative of how many Thais view debt, they don't seem to worry just trusting someone will bail them out and expect it to be done ?

It doesn't matter it it's commercial companies or individuals the attitude is just the same.

I've been lucky as the amounts I've never been repaid were minor and the recipient,  a relative of my landlady, knows better than to ask now, The first time i mentioned repayment she was shocked saying she didn't realize she was expected to return the money as she thought I was just ' helping ' her . Mind you it still didn't make her offer to re-pay far less do it.

On the other hand I know some who have really lost out usually with loans to the family of wife or gf and encountered extreme hostility when they dared to mention the money being returned.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

Thais love Thais... That's the thinking...

4 hours ago, smedly said:

But they would probably get what they want/pay for

It starts at the family level, expectations of getting bailed out of any troubles seems the norm. Hardly surprising to see it manifest in businesses.

5 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Isn't this indicative of how many Thais view debt, they don't seem to worry just trusting someone will bail them out and expect it to be done ?

It doesn't matter it it's commercial companies or individuals the attitude is just the same.

I've been lucky as the amounts I've never been repaid were minor and the recipient,  a relative of my landlady, knows better than to ask now, The first time i mentioned repayment she was shocked saying she didn't realize she was expected to return the money as she thought I was just ' helping ' her . Mind you it still didn't make her offer to re-pay far less do it.

On the other hand I know some who have really lost out usually with loans to the family of wife or gf and encountered extreme hostility when they dared to mention the money being returned.

(Sigh) Ain't that the truth...?

10 hours ago, smedly said:

How do they think - money, how can I make more?

7 hours ago, edwinchester said:

I went to my bank in the past asking them to waive my mortgage repayments.

I was confused and shocked to discover that there was actually a requirement to repay my debt.

But you weren't Thai, problem being farangs just don't understand these things.

the lady has millions and has made a fortune from her business but wants the govt to forgive her debt and that of the other bus companies. They should name and shame them all now with the amounts each owes the govt, if they cant pay then seize their buses and all their assets  then sell them off to recoup the loss. Thais seem to think that debt means bugger all, they have big houses and several cars but still scream poor when they have to pay the debt back. If they can get out or paying money they owe they will, the ones that have money are the worst of them too.

While I understand everyone's sentiment I don't know of a single city public transit system

in the western world that is not publically subsidized. From subways to busses. I may well

be wrong but in Canada all are heavily subsidized. None are private, you just cant make money.