Ford Ranger Engine Squealing

Moonfruit

My 2001 Ranger has started squaling pretty harcore when you are on the gas.

It sound like a team of mice ar running around in there.

My thougt is to change the serpentine belt, and if that fails then the next immediate suspect should be the alternator.

I took it to a friends garage today and he said that it was the turbo, and that it is a common problem with Rangers. Cost to repair, about 5000THB..

\I ask myself, what could it be with the turbo? Bearings, what? Im still convinced its not the turbo, but i took off the belts and started the engine and the noise was still there, so im starting to think it could be the turbo.

Which brings me onto the next question. If the turbo does need some work, what is the possibility of replacing the existing with a bigger turbo for more power output. Is this possible, and what would it cost? Ive never worked on my turbo charged car before so its new territory!

Cheers

Start the engine, take a wooden broomstick and place it on the location you hear the squeal. Put your ear on the broomstick. Move the end around until you isolate the sound. This should give you an idea of the general location of the problem that will be close to the problem.

The turbo should not engage at low Rpm. As you rev the engine there should be a point at which the noise kicks in much louder. That is the point the turbo is kicking in if RPM based.

If it is a turbo don't wait to long. When turbo's fail they can make a real mess.

A 5 year old truck probably needs new belts alternator power steering ect.. Check the tension of the belts but 5 years is about the life expectancy for belts even if it doesn't have many mile.

If the squealing gets worse when you turn on the light, wipers and A/C is a clue that the alternator belt is slipping.

Another trick is to take an aerosol can of WD40 type product and spray it on the belts. This is only a very temporary fix though.

1. I have a 3 1/2 year old Ranger 2.9 Auto. I've noticed that in the mornings only when i turn it on that there is like loud clicking noise from the engine (think its worst on colder wetter mornings). Is that likely a belt problem?

2. What's you suspension like? My radio is broke currently so i can hear the suspension noises - the cars beginning to sound a bit old.

3. Anybody sold a Ford Ranger recently? How did you get on, get a reasonable rate.

Well, my noise is now sorted and for a total cost of zip. My buddy took out the turbo, did something magical with it, and its quiet as a mouse now.

In answer to Bredbury, my suspension sounds fine. In fact, im pretty impressed by the whole thing now that that small problem has been fixed.

I know that rangers dont fetch the same price as a Totyota though. I know if i were to sell my 4x4 supercab, in mint condition i would be lucky to get over 300,000THB for it. It is 5 years old though.

Bredbury,

Your clicking problem sounds like a firing problem. Since it's mainly happening during cooler wetter mornings, it sounds like moisture is causing arcing somewhere. I'd check the condition of your sparkplug wires for cracks or dry rot as well as the spark plug boots. You might want to put a little dielectric grease on the tips of the spark plugs and where the wires plug in to the cap to prevent arcing due to moisture. After 3 and a half years, you may even want to change the cap and rotor too. In a tropical climate I'm sure both have some corrosion.

RE: Bigger Turbo.

Yes you can fit a bigger turbo but you will want an E manage (programable ECU) to adjust the settings of your power map as the standard map will not optimise your big blower. Most Mitsubishi turbos can be bolted on with the right manifold. I whacked one on my MX5 last year. You'll want to think about an extra injector on the fuel rail if you are going hardcore though.. don't want it running lean!

Bredbury,

Your clicking problem sounds like a firing problem. Since it's mainly happening during cooler wetter mornings, it sounds like moisture is causing arcing somewhere. I'd check the condition of your sparkplug wires for cracks or dry rot as well as the spark plug boots. You might want to put a little dielectric grease on the tips of the spark plugs and where the wires plug in to the cap to prevent arcing due to moisture. After 3 and a half years, you may even want to change the cap and rotor too. In a tropical climate I'm sure both have some corrosion.

Today I know "naathing" about cars but isn't that a diesel engine in that Ford? And sparkplugs?

Rotor?

Am I'm out on thin ice?

Sadly, I too am of the opinion your problem is related to your choice of brand rather than anything else. I'd have a bet that you're probably an American who's only been able to choose between Fords and Chevys all your life.

Thankfully, while the US has been ignoring the consumer and advances in auto technology generally, Toyota has made great advances in their Landcruisers and Hilux trucks. Nothing gets close in terms of reliability, not even the other Japanese manufacturers.

Why do you think you see so many Toyota trucks in Thailand ?

Edited by sibeymai

Bredbury,

Today I know "naathing" about cars but isn't that a diesel engine in that Ford? And sparkplugs?

Rotor?

Am I'm out on thin ice?

No, your ice is of glacier proportions on that point! Diesels work on compression of fuel to ignite, not a spark. some have "glow" plugs for start up but even so, your point remains valid.

Sadly, I too am of the opinion your problem is related to your choice of brand rather than anything else. I'd have a bet that you're probably an American who's only been able to choose between Fords and Chevys all your life.

Thankfully, while the US has been ignoring the consumer and advances in auto technology generally, Toyota has made great advances in their Landcruisers and Hilux trucks. Nothing gets close in terms of reliability, not even the other Japanese manufacturers.

Why do you think you see so many Toyota trucks in Thailand ?

Toyota builds a good truck. I know, I have had three of them since I have been in Thailand, BUT, the others are very good also. I now have a Toyota and a Nissan. In my opinion Nissan is under-rated and Toyota is over-rated. My brother in law has an old raggedy Ford. It must have a million kilometers on it but it just keeps going, blue smoke and all. I'm not a big fan of Mitsubishi but another friend has an OLD Mitsubishi and it too just keeps going.