Your experience with larger bikes required.

molen02

I am new in Thailand on Thaivisa. I’m in Chiang Mai. I want to buy a bike a new one. I’m prepared to pay approx 300.000 to 320.000 Thai Bath. I’ve been looking at Yamaha MT-07, Honda CB650, Benelli BN600 GT and Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS. I wonder if anybody has one of these bikes and wouldn’t mind letting me know your experience good and bad.

I owned a Kawasaki Versys from 2013 and sold it last month.  Rode off-road pretty hard, lots of trails and did 47,000km without a single issue other than general maintenance.  I sold simply because I was hanging on for the Africa Twin which I hope I will get next month.  The new Versys is said to be much smoother than the previous and the reviews on various youtubers and other praise it.  Personally, I don't like the look of the new one but I cannot fault its reliability.

Edited by BBJ

BBJ raises a key point - are you planning to stay clean and dry on the roads or venture off to Adventure Bike Country? Up were you are is pretty much heaven for trails and overnight camping trips... Initial advice would be to commit to going off-road, then shortlist your choices...

It's good to want to spend clean money here, but in general we all use Thai Baht... Welcome, and enjoy your riding!

Hi Guys Thanks for your replay. I haven’t really thought about going off road, my initial idea is taking it on dry road and exploring Thailand and maybe going to Laos or Cambodia or both, but having said that I always can change my mind. The one thing is, it is going to be my main mode of transport. It also have to do the shopping with it and drive around town.

If you want to explore neighboring countries, you best look for a motorcycle which is capable of riding unpaved roads. Which leaves the Benelli BN600GT and the Kawasaki Versys 650.

Another thing is that big bike support in neighboring countries is very limited, in countries like Cambodia and Laos you cannot find any Yamaha or Honda big bike dealerships and parts need to be imported from Thailand…

In Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam Benelli motorcycles has a representative that would be able to support the BN600GT. In most of this countries Kawasaki also has a presents, but do not sell the Versys 650… still service is for a good part possible as they sell other models in the ER6 range (ER6n and/or Ninja 650).

If you stay in Thailand and on the tarmac, all of the motorcycles you have selected are good, and selecting one comes down on personal preferences...

All depends what you are planning on doing as well as your skill level.

I have a Versys and it is about as big as is practicable on Thailands roads. Good suspension, reliable and easy to get serviced. 

If you plan on getting rougher and dirtier then either the HondaCrf250 or the Kawasaki Klx250 are great bikes. Both come in motard options also for wider street tires.

Think long and hard about what you want to do on the bike, reach a decision and then rent one for a few day to get first butt cheek feel for them.

One thing to take into consideration is the seat height if the bikes, Versys is very tall and if you are shorter than 5'10" you will struggle to get both feet comfortably on the ground.

Lots of guys ride here and everyone has their prefernces but in the end you will get what you pay for, you go cheap then you get cheap.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Thank you for your replies. I would like to have the option of going off road, it would be silly of me not to, and the bike to Laos and Cambodia and as Richard said that then leaves the Benelli and the Kawasaki.

Can samui my problem is not being short it’s the opposite I’m very tall 6.5 feet or 1.95 mt so the Versys is comfortable the seat hight being 840 mm, I could do with 10mm more while my first choice the Benelli is only 800 mm, which brings on an other question are there businesses in Chiang Mai that can increase the hight of the saddle? I will try to rent the bikes for a day to try them out before I make the final decision. I've looked at the Honda CB 500 X and I didn't liked the model very much.

Versys is head and shoulders over the Benelli.

Instant problem solver for the seat height is to buy a 1" thick piece of gel and have a seat shop remove your cover, install the gel and recover it. You will thank me later! Versys seats feel great in the showroom and 100 meters down the road then they suck. Pretty much the same with any stock seat really.

New Versys is about 320,000 or so I believe so right in your wheelhouse price wise.

Easy to buy toys and farkles for the Versys too.

From what you say, it's got to be Versys. Forget about the Benelli and the CB500 is so small and cramped.

Although the Versys is a little top heavy, you have a nice view of the road ahead, the handlebars go over or under wing mirrors of trucks and cars in traffic.

You want to travel? Put some panniers on the Versys, it's slightly underpowered but it's fine. You wouldn't have a lot of room on the other bikes once loaded up.

BBJ punishes his on YouTube .. I run mine down logging tracks in Malaysia - you can upgrade the shocks, get some 50/50 tyres - farkles and spares are cheap and easily found here, join Versys market TH on Facebook.

You will never be alone on a Versys - you will always find someone else riding one, someone will always come to you in a gas station and tell you they have one or they want one.

i too are not a fan of the 2015 - I prefer the look of a mk2.

Edited by recom273

10 hours ago, Can samui said:

Versys is head and shoulders over the Benelli.

Instant problem solver for the seat height is to buy a 1" thick piece of gel and have a seat shop remove your cover, install the gel and recover it. You will thank me later! Versys seats feel great in the showroom and 100 meters down the road then they suck. Pretty much the same with any stock seat really.

New Versys is about 320,000 or so I believe so right in your wheelhouse price wise.

Easy to buy toys and farkles for the Versys too.

Benelli TNT600GT

L 2150 x W 800 x H 1180

Kawasaki Versys 650

L 2125 x W 840 x H 1330

The Kawasaki is indeed 150mm higher, which is easily changed by replacing the windscreen. The handlebar of both motorcycles is around the same height, plus a few centimeters for the Benelli... Nothing like SHOUDERS...

The Benelli offers 82 horsepower with a smooth powerband of an inline-four cylinder, while the Kawasaki is a bit less flexible with its 2-cylinder engine and that has a maximum 62 horsepower.

Lots of people like the Kawasaki two-cylinder as they have the idea is less wide… the numbers are actually not true.

Most people also prefer the standard Metzeler tires on the Benelli over the Dunlop tires on the Kawasaki Versys… but that is very personal

kawasaki-versys-650-vs-benelli-600-tnt-gt-2.jpg

Edited by Richard-BKK

9 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

Benelli TNT600GT

L 2150 x W 800 x H 1180

Kawasaki Versys 650

L 2125 x W 840 x H 1330

The Kawasaki is indeed 150mm higher, which is easily changed by replacing the windscreen. The handlebar of both motorcycles is around the same height, plus a few centimeters for the Benelli... Nothing like SHOUDERS...

The Benelli offers 82 horsepower with a smooth powerband of an inline-four cylinder, while the Kawasaki is a bit less flexible with its 2-cylinder engine and that has a maximum 62 horsepower.

Lots of people like the Kawasaki two-cylinder as they have the idea is less wide… the numbers are actually not true.

Most people also prefer the standard Metzeler tires on the Benelli over the Dunlop tires on the Kawasaki Versys… but that is very personal

kawasaki-versys-650-vs-benelli-600-tnt-gt-2.jpg

Guess the subtlety was lost on ya!

The term " head and shoulder" is applied to the bike as a whole, not the ride height. 

I tend to subscibe to the pack mentality where hey, if there are so many on the road there must be a reason. VStrom, hardly see them, gotta ask why?

The Versys is the Swiss Army knife of bikes, great at nothing but can handle anything you throw at it.

Power wise I have never felt " left out there" when I needed some, lots of giddyup when called on.

The Versys shares its engine with the Vulcan, eR6n and Ninja, parts are a breeze to pick up.

Still, my best advice is rent.....rent....rent.....then rent another one!

Your butt and your heart will tell you what is for you.

I don’t have any preconceived idea about a brand of bike, I do like the Benelli best because of looks. Here in Chiang Mai they have one kitted out with all panniers and a top box in the showroom, the way I want to have it fitted out and I think it looks great.

Benelli BN 600GT = 299,000

Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS = 323,000

I don’t really like the look of the V-Strom. I also decided to stay around 300,000 and 350,000 for the V-Strom is a bit much, specially since I also have fork out money for panniers, top box and brackets and I’m thinking about a GPS, any suggestions?

Can samui I do like the idea to put a gel piece in the seat, I like to take the saddle up to 850 – 855 which would make the bike a lot more comfortable for me, all my body length is in my legs. I know what you mean with the seat sucks, I’m renting a little Honda to get me around town and after ½ hour it sucks

Don't knock the V-strom they are good bikes - they are slightly less cramped than a Versys. Way more rugged than the Versys.

Yeah .. Benelli .. I think the question was answered earlier. Spares and service ..

I had an issue in BKK the other week, I could feel my clutch cable going after a week in Laos. I got on google and found 3 Kawasaki garages in the vicinity.

I tried to make it to one but the cable parted, I tried to organize recovery - too long. I ended up taking a taxi for 15 minutes to the wrong shop (they gave me a lift to the correct branch and a lift back on a Z1000) the cable was in stock, sitting there ready and wasn't even 300B. I took a YouTube crash course fitted it myself on the side of the road with the factory tool kit. I then rode back to the dealer and they checked and adjusted for free .. Now, respect to Motoholic for their service ..

Can Benelli do this for you?

Have you heard of Tor panniers ? They are a Thai fabrication workshop that build reasonably priced metal panniers - Google is your friend there. Have a think about a top box, my wife insisted on one as it has a back rest and it stops her falling off the back, but when in on my own it's an overpriced helmet locker. When we use it for small trips putting bags in it makes the bike feel top heavy. If you need extra storage get a rack and a regulation yellow roll bag.

I have a love hate with my GPS's and end up using google maps when in Thailand.

I have an etrex10 for off-road routes and logging waypoints .. It's cool, but the memory is too small, 4,000B new + RAM mount. Then I have a cheap Garmin Zumo 220, it's not great but I bought it second hand - 7,000B if I'm not wrong. The screen is too small, but it accepts nightriders map based on OSM south east Asia which is way better than garmins.

It connects to my Sena, and it's helpful for finding points of interest, places to stay or the nearest petrol station. It's also waterproof - phones are expensive and they aren't that waterproof.

iPhones need a carrier signal to work, I don't have Laos or Malay sims and with the GPS its up and running as soon as I ride through the border point, I'm not looking to buy topups or a new sim or finding wifi to load up the carrier data.

Maybe look for a second hand garmin Montana or a 550 .. You see them for sale on GTRider or Facebook - put out a wanted ad in various places, something will come up.

32 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Don't knock the V-strom they are good bikes - they are slightly less cramped than a Versys. Way more rugged than the Versys.

Yeah .. Benelli .. I think the question was answered earlier. Spares and service ..

I had an issue in BKK the other week, I could feel my clutch cable going after a week in Laos. I got on google and found 3 Kawasaki garages in the vicinity.

I tried to make it to one but the cable parted, I tried to organize recovery - too long. I ended up taking a taxi for 15 minutes to the wrong shop (they gave me a lift to the correct branch and a lift back on a Z1000) the cable was in stock, sitting there ready and wasn't even 300B. I took a YouTube crash course fitted it myself on the side of the road with the factory tool kit. I then rode back to the dealer and they checked and adjusted for free .. Now, respect to Motoholic for their service ..

Can Benelli do this for you?

Have you heard of Tor panniers ? They are a Thai fabrication workshop that build reasonably priced metal panniers - Google is your friend there. Have a think about a top box, my wife insisted on one as it has a back rest and it stops her falling off the back, but when in on my own it's an overpriced helmet locker. When we use it for small trips putting bags in it makes the bike feel top heavy. If you need extra storage get a rack and a regulation yellow roll bag.

I have a love hate with my GPS's and end up using google maps when in Thailand.

I have an etrex10 for off-road routes and logging waypoints .. It's cool, but the memory is too small, 4,000B new + RAM mount. Then I have a cheap Garmin Zumo 220, it's not great but I bought it second hand - 7,000B if I'm not wrong. The screen is too small, but it accepts nightriders map based on OSM south east Asia which is way better than garmins.

It connects to my Sena, and it's helpful for finding points of interest, places to stay or the nearest petrol station. It's also waterproof - phones are expensive and they aren't that waterproof.

iPhones need a carrier signal to work, I don't have Laos or Malay sims and with the GPS its up and running as soon as I ride through the border point, I'm not looking to buy topups or a new sim or finding wifi to load up the carrier data.

Maybe look for a second hand garmin Montana or a 550 .. You see them for sale on GTRider or Facebook - put out a wanted ad in various places, something will come up.

Why you think Benelli could not do it? First, Kawasaki didn’t do it either, it was a Kawasaki motorcycle dealer… Benelli has several dealers in Bangkok and I can imagine that they could do the same or something similar…

But let’s take the same situation and imagine it happened in downtown Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The standard clutch cable from the Kawasaki Ninja 650 (the only ER6 model Kawasaki Cambodia sells) is too short… While in Cambodia the Benelli dealer has very likely the clutch cable on stock.

7 hours ago, Can samui said:

Guess the subtlety was lost on ya!

The term " head and shoulder" is applied to the bike as a whole, not the ride height. 

I tend to subscibe to the pack mentality where hey, if there are so many on the road there must be a reason. VStrom, hardly see them, gotta ask why?

The Versys is the Swiss Army knife of bikes, great at nothing but can handle anything you throw at it.

Power wise I have never felt " left out there" when I needed some, lots of giddyup when called on.

The Versys shares its engine with the Vulcan, eR6n and Ninja, parts are a breeze to pick up.

Still, my best advice is rent.....rent....rent.....then rent another one!

Your butt and your heart will tell you what is for you.

Sorry my bad, I assumed that the size of the OP was the point and therefore went with the sizing. So the Kawasaki Versys 650 as a quality motorcycle stands head and shoulder above the Benelli TNT600GT? This is also a bit funny from a manufacturer that moved from the 10th place to the 3rd place in the “Top 10 Recalls by Manufacturer” after they started big bike production in Thailand. The Kawasaki Versys 650 is made in Thailand and the ER6 motorcycles are by themselves good for a few recalls...

The Top 10 Recalls by Manufacturer is maintained and managed by UK Motorcycle Magazine “Visordown”.

I have a Versys mk3, got it new last year.

The best adventure bike in Thailand, all things considered and below 320.000 baht.

I love the bike, good grunt up to app 160-170 km/h, good in the corners, high riding position ( good for me), large fuel tank.

Best as a solo bike and a bike you can go far away on, I lowered the foot pegs a bit since I got long legs and I can follow bigger more powerful bikes unless they rides crazy fast.

A friend from Malaysia rode from KL to North Thailand and back to KL on his V mk3 and he had a blast.

The 21 lit tank gives you a range on almost 400 km, depending of riding style.

All in all very happy with my purchase. If I want to upgrade, the 1000cc Africa Twin is the next natural step up but for now my V is just fine.

I think the Mk3 looks better than the odd looking mk2 model, ha-ha, but any of the Versys 650 models are a very good, capable budget all-round bikes, not the best in any discipline, but very good all in all bike and you are having fun riding it unless you are HP addicted and will never be satisfied with 69HP.

Estimated top speed is around 190 true km/h so a Honda CB(R) 650 is faster but if you ride long rides and are a tall rider, most would prefer the V. The little screen is awesome and I can go 140-150 km/h all day long without tiring.

Why you think Benelli could not do it? First, Kawasaki didn’t do it either, it was a Kawasaki motorcycle dealer… Benelli has several dealers in Bangkok and I can imagine that they could do the same or something similar…

But let’s take the same situation and imagine it happened in downtown Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The standard clutch cable from the Kawasaki Ninja 650 (the only ER6 model Kawasaki Cambodia sells) is too short… While in Cambodia the Benelli dealer has very likely the clutch cable on stock.

Jeez .. Another TV case, where you can't have an opinion of something you own.

Did I say Benelli are crap? No. I just posed a question.

You are a Benelli dealer, right ? Richard.

OP - get a Benelli they are great, what a selling point "if your in Phnom Penh - you won't have to wait long for a clutch cable"

Own a CB650 - past owner of Versys. My 2 cents worth - if highway, get the Honda. If a mix of highway, gravel/dirt roads - get the Versys

Bit off topic - for years - since the 70's - I purchase a spare cable - throttle, clutch. Zip tie to the one operating the bike. If I blow a cable just remove the ends and install new cable. Already routed, lubed and ready to go.

You might have a challenge with youre insurance if you want to cross borders on youre bike .I wanted to take mine just to Laos,but I couldnt find any company that would insure me if I did.I know you can make extra-insurance for a car in Udon where I tried only for the days you want to be outside thailand,but bikes are harder if not imposible.

I dont say its imposible,but I guess someone have done this and I wil find out now......

1 hour ago, Odin Norway said:

You might have a challenge with youre insurance if you want to cross borders on youre bike .I wanted to take mine just to Laos,but I couldnt find any company that would insure me if I did.I know you can make extra-insurance for a car in Udon where I tried only for the days you want to be outside thailand,but bikes are harder if not imposible.

I dont say its imposible,but I guess someone have done this and I wil find out now......

Let's not confuse things.

There is no challenge crossing borders on your own bike - your challenge was finding  insurance. 

2 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Let's not confuse things.

There is no challenge crossing borders on your own bike - your challenge was finding  insurance. 

Yes it was insurance that was hard,so I never tried to cross the border on a bike.Ofcourse if you dont mind driving with no insurance,go ahead.

5 minutes ago, Odin Norway said:

Yes it was insurance that was hard,so I never tried to cross the border on a bike.Ofcourse if you dont mind driving with no insurance,go ahead.

What insurance are you talking about ? I'm not clued up on Cambodia but I always buy my insurance at the border. Entering Malaysia without insurance isn't possible because you need to show it get an ICP and I'm guessing the last Laos customs check will send you back to get insurance from the Laos-Vietnam Insurance booth.

9 minutes ago, recom273 said:

What insurance are you talking about ? I'm not clued up on Cambodia but I always buy my insurance at the border. Entering Malaysia without insurance isn't possible because you need to show it get an ICP and I'm guessing the last Laos customs check will send you back to get insurance from the Laos-Vietnam Insurance booth.

I had a number 1 insurence on my bike.That company did not want me to go outside the country at all.I know on a car you can get one only for the days you go outside the border.It dosnt matter what company you use for youre car at all.To buy an extra insurance you need to be the owner of the car and have the registration-book in youre hand at the same time.I had the book on my bike but could not find anyone that wanted to insure my bike.I dont know if they stop and check all youre papers on the border.If you can buy all kinds of insurance at the border there should not be any problems at all.But I know that option was not at the Nong Kai to Laos border just a couple of years back.

4 minutes ago, Odin Norway said:

I had a number 1 insurence on my bike.That company did not want me to go outside the country at all.I know on a car you can get one only for the days you go outside the border.It dosnt matter what company you use for youre car at all.To buy an extra insurance you need to be the owner of the car and have the registration-book in youre hand at the same time.I had the book on my bike but could not find anyone that wanted to insure my bike.I dont know if they stop and check all youre papers on the border.If you can buy all kinds of insurance at the border there should not be any problems at all.But I know that option was not at the Nong Kai to Laos border just a couple of years back.

Exactly .. I don't want to be rude .. But as you say yourself you don't know. 

Let's not confuse the OP or anyone else .. Of course you can buy insurance, you can even buy a year insurance and not use it if you so wish. You may have trouble getting 1st class, but in your first post you said you would have difficulty in leaving the country.

The Versys is a capable off road bike with the right tires.  In standard form it will tackle most trails if you ride correctly.  I took mine places many wouldn't venture on their 250s.  Lots of affordable accesories and parts are cheap to replace if needed.