Is Thailands view on Foreigners really changing?

khunpa

[mention=147994]mogandave[/mention]

Thailand among least racially tolerant countries, if certain studies are to go by. Who would have thought so, huh? With their "Thai smiles" and all... Half the culture comes from India, as we all know. The other half, from China, basically, and we know how tolerant they are. 

Screenshot_20181120-111335_Chrome.jpg.5fa78fe78f117ab6bc18268fc0f37bc1.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/?utm_term=.c1f712bec61d

I do not pay any attention to studies unless it’s clear what the methodology and parameters of the study are and how the study is funded.

I have no use for the Post since the bird died...
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Brazil and Chile, for example, have large populations of Japanese. And they even elected one to public office. 

I am presuming you mean Fujimori in Peru? He was however born there.

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2018 at 10:35 AM, Fex Bluse said:

... Assimilating to Thai culture

I made a go of it in my early years, but I quickly found that the more I tried to be like and accept Thais, the more I had to surrender my own culture, morality, ethics, logic, objective fact, ect. All cultures are not equal in all ways, and there are marked differences in Thai culture and many other cultures, especially many farang cultures, that don't mix.  ...

Indeed.  My "Thai" wife was a child of Vietnamese refugees from the 1950's or before, though born and raised in Thailand.  Had to get some language lessons underground when she was a kid. Some of her siblings are half-Thai.  There's a different mindset, and I don't think it's just because of the times, though there's that aspect.  I'm of German heritage and my wife, Vietnamese.  Both hard-headed, no sabai-sabai.   I told our two kids that were "commie-nazi".  Some of the younger in-laws are fluff-heads.  So I sponsored a bunch to come to the USA.  They fit in just fine.   555

I don't give a crap about "race", whatever that is.  They only had 3 when I grew up.  But culture is all over the map.  Look at the number of ethnic/tribal groups in many of these countries, my goodness. But that's true even in western countries that are supposedly "homogenized". Bozos are all over the world. 

• Like 1

For myself living amongst rural thais for 10 or so yrs, i feel a more positive relaxed attitude . Its possible that during a difficult time with the junta that certain areas are going to be led by the government. But in the village they dont hold any sway