Dutch-founded Kamworks will harness sun to power residential tower

geovalin

Kamworks Utility has clinched a deal to install and operate what could be the first commercial solar power system on a high-end residential tower in Cambodia, contributing to efforts to reduce elevated electricity costs through renewable energy, a company representative said yesterday.

The Dutch-founded solar energy provider will pay for the installation and maintenance of solar panels on the roof of Silvertown Metropolitan, a 110-unit serviced apartment tower in the capital’s upscale Boueng Keng Kang 1 neighbourhood operated by local property management firm Naki Group. The photovoltaic (PV) panels will provide approximately 12 per cent of the building’s energy demand and reduce its dependence on grid electricity, the price of which is one of the highest in the region.

According to Ken Bradley, Kamworks’ director of business development, it is the first project in Cambodia to put solar panels on a residential tower, though other commercial buildings such as hotels have also begun investing in solar energy for their facilities.

read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/kamworks-will-harness-sun-power-residential-tower

phnom_penh_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phenom Pen Post 07/10

Good idea. When I think about the cold and rainy Germany, which produces up to 87 % of its power by sustainable energies, and have a look at Thailand with its endless resources of sunshine, demanding a new coal power plant in Krabi and in the far South, well, what more can be done wrong?

On October 8, 2016 at 9:51 AM, fxe1200 said:

Good idea. When I think about the cold and rainy Germany, which produces up to 87 % of its power by sustainable energies, and have a look at Thailand with its endless resources of sunshine, demanding a new coal power plant in Krabi and in the far South, well, what more can be done wrong?

I don't think solar is an economical source of power in countries with reasonable electric rates. I know I gave it a few minutes thought till I found out how much it would cost. I am very impressed that Germany is 87% sustainable, is that not the same as renewable?